Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2017 05:00

XPS 2720 all in one screen flickering

Again,the screen of the xps2720 is flickering. This happened since I bought it in 2013.

The explanation by Dell support was that the drivers were not compatible with those for the updated operating system. Now the computer is upgraded with Windows 10, it was working fine until a week ago whenstart flickering every 2 seconds and doesnt allow to do anything at all. I updated all the drivers using Dell support website, the nvidia and Win 10, and I am having the same problem.

Any idea and suggestions to fix this please? It is frustrating, always in the worst moment.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 16:00

Dell doesn't offer very up-to-date drivers for the Intel HD 4600 adapter in the XPS 2720.  Intel has a much more recent driver and installing it seems to have gotten rid of the black flash on my machine.

Here is a link to the most recent Intel driver as of today: downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-

There is a small catch.  The standard Intel graphics driver installer (win64_154022.4424.exe linked from the above page) will not install a driver on a system where an OEM driver is supposed to be available (even if said OEM driver is old and buggy, as seems to be the case here).  You must instead install manually from the ZIP file version

Before attempting to install the newer Intel drivers deleted the existing drivers from Device Manager:

1. Open Device Manager

2. Right click the Intel HD Graphics 4600 adapter

3. Select Uninstall

4. Check the box to delete the existing drivers

5. Click OK

Then reboot.  After the reboot, in Device Manager, you should see something like Basic Windows Graphic Adapter (I forget the exact name).  Now installing the drivers from the Intel ZIP file should succeed.

Then following the instructions here:

www.intel.com/.../000005629.html

If you have problems uninstalling the Intel OEM driver run the Display Driver Uninstaller:

www.guru3d.com/.../display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

S

1 Message

April 8th, 2017 12:00

I own 2 XPS 2720s running Windows 10 and both of them just started having the same flickering issue this week.  It appears to occur mostly during web browsing.  I've also tried updating the BIOS and all drivers with no success.  The only thing that has helped thus far is to reduce the Brightness to -30 via Intel HD Graphics->Graphics Properties->Display->Color Settings.  Please update this thread if you find a better solution.  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2017 13:00

It could be a number of different issues, including the video card or the LCD screen.

If you have an external monitor with an HDMI input port, you can try connecting that monitor to the HDMI-OUT on the rear of the 2720. If the external monitor works ok, that might suggest the LCD screen has a problem.

If the external monitor flickers too, then that might suggest a video card problem.

NOTE: There are 2 HDMI ports on the rear of the 2720. You want to connect the external monitor to the HDMI-OUT on the PC, not to the HDMI-IN.  The HDMI-OUT is #13 in the drawing here:

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-27-2720-aio_setup guide_en-us.pdf

And if the external monitor works ok, you can turn off the LCD screen by pressing/holding #9 in that drawing.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2017 20:00

Check what version of the Intel Graphics driver you have (Device manager->intel graphics adapter) If it ends with .4590  (January 2017) then that's quite likely to be your problem, since it is widely reported to be buggy. Since Dell hasn't approved the latest version (March 2017) of the Intel graphics driver, clicking on the "roll back" in device settings and going back to an earlier version should solve your problem-it did for me.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2017 03:00

I connected the computer to the tv as a second screen and it works ok. I contacted Dell and they suggested that it is a physical problem with the screen.

I have reservations about that, when I restored the system to a previous point before having this problem, it didn't flicker, so I am doing it again, see what happens.

Thank you

4 Posts

April 11th, 2017 04:00

I have the version 4600. I am restoring the system again to a previous point of having this issue. It worked the other day.

Dell support thinks that it is a physical problem of the screen and it needs to be replace, but my warranty expired, I prefer to get rid of this computer.

Thank you for your comment.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 11:00

Have the same problem. Started not long after upgrading to the windows 10 anniversary update.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 14:00

This is from another post that seems to have worked for me:

I also have been having black flashes on my machine and may have found a solution to this problem. Dell doesn't offer very up-to-date drivers for the Intel HD 4600 adapter in the XPS 2720.  Intel has a much more recent driver and installing it seems to have gotten rid of the black flash on my machine.

Here is a link to the most recent Intel driver as of today: downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-

There is a small catch.  The standard Intel graphics driver installer (win64_154022.4424.exe linked from the above page) will not install a driver on a system where an OEM driver is supposed to be available (even if said OEM driver is old and buggy, as seems to be the case here).  You must instead install manually from the ZIP file version (win64_154022.4424.zip), following the instructions here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Before attempting to install the newer Intel drivers Deleted the existing drivers from Device Manager:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Right click the Intel HD Graphics 4600 adapter
  3. Select Uninstall
  4. Check the box to delete the existing drivers
  5. Click OK

Then reboot.  After the reboot, in Device Manager, you should see something like Basic Windows Graphic Adapter (I forget the exact name).  Now installing the drivers from the Intel ZIP file should succeed.

Good luck!

Ps If you have trouble removing the installed OEM drivers use the display driver uninstaller: www.guru3d.com/.../display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

4 Posts

April 12th, 2017 04:00

I followed your comments above and so far it doesn't flicker, sometimes a quick flash of a black line across but not as bad as before.

Thank you

No Events found!