hsleviant
1 Nickel

XPS 2720 needs video driver updates to address video strobe after monitor resumes after turning off backlight

On occasion, when my XPS 2720 resumes after the monitor has shut off the backlight as part of the power saving settings, the screen remains black, only illuminating while the mouse is moving.  The only way to correct this issue is to keep the mouse moving enough to read the screen and restart (Window 8).

I have had two different XPS 2710 machines and two different XPS 2720 machines this year.  Two of the four had major video problems.  This machine has relatively few issues, but I cannot upgrade to the current video driver set without suffering other video flashing/strobing issues.  I have to downgrade back to the earlier driver set, and I see that other users have similar issues, depending on the BIOS and driver combos they try.

This loaded 2720 is too expensive to tolerate this sort of half-baked video driver issue.  The drivers currently on Dell's site are from June and July.  NVidia and/or Intel need to get to the bottom of what is causing this annoying problem.  The return rate on this machine is far too high.  I expect to see BIOS and video updates for this machine soon.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
UsagerDell
1 Copper

RE: XPS 2720 needs video driver updates to address video strobe after monitor resumes after turning off backlight

Not all XPS 2720 new users know that, if they update their video drivers, they will get a lot of problems.

It is my case.

Thanks to Dell for their "Recommendation" to install the latest video drivers on a working XPS2720.

I suppose that, when people follow yours recommendations, it is not your responsibility?

How many people will fall in the same trap. 

0 Kudos
maxstrat
1 Copper

RE: XPS 2720 needs video driver updates to address video strobe after monitor resumes after turning off backlight

My new XPS 2720 Windows 8 had the same resume mouse movement flicker problem. Had bios version A00, NVIDIA GeForce Driver 9.18.13.1100 A00 and Intel HD Graphics Driver 9.18.10.3055 A00. These were versions shipped with my unit.

I updated the Intel HD Graphics Driver to 9.18.10.3165 A01. Flicker problem went away, tested for about 2 weeks. Another video problem did show up, screen goes black for couple seconds and repeats (quite annoying). Updated bios to A02, problem still there. From forum, "XPS 2720 screen goes black for couple seconds" reported going back to Intel HD Graphics Driver version 9.18.10.3055 A00 will correct problem. Tried loading back previous version 9.18.10.3055 A00 and blinking black screen went away but flicker problem was back.

I noticed there was a NVIDIA GeForce Driver 9.18.13.1230 A01 and updated. Flicker problem seems to have gone away so far.

Summary: running latest posted bios A02 and NVIDIA GeForce Driver 9.18.13.1230 A01. Using previous Intel HD Graphics Driver 9.18.10.3055 A00 . My guess is this is a sensitive timing issue between the drivers and video hardware, DELL needs to investigate.               

0 Kudos
hsleviant
1 Nickel

Thanks for some detailed feedback, Maxstrat.  The fact that Dell has released two product cycles of this high-end all-in-one and both have significant video driver issues is very concerning.  They haven't ironed out all the kinks in the 2710 and now the 2720 requires some sort of black magic configuration of updates.

As an update, my machine is failing the Primary Surface Test in the video card test in the My Dell application.  Throws code WVC07-L3A. 

I have BIOS A01, Intel Driver A00, and the Microsoft Update version of the NVidia driver, 9.18.13.2078, dated 8-9-2013

0 Kudos
UsagerDell
1 Copper

Dell replace my XPS2720 by a new one. It work fine.

Thanks to Dell !

0 Kudos
hsleviant
1 Nickel

As an update, I have installed Windows 8.1 and the A05 BIOS.  So far, the screen is behaving after resuming from sleep (several cycles have worked correctly).  I noticed that Dell pulled all 2720 BIOS packages a week ago.  The, about when 8.1 releases, the A05 BIOS was also released.

0 Kudos