Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2012 13:00

XPS 3500 Bios Power Settings

Trying to set bios Power Management - AC Recovery from Power Off (Default) to Power On, so I can use my TripLite Isobar to turn power off to computer,both monitors, speakers, etc., and be able to turn whole system back on. Entered bios and set Power On, Saved changes and exited and I still have to push the Power button on the computer to start. I've had every Dell that I've owned set up with the bios set to Power On with no difficulty, why am I having difficulty with this XPS ?

Thanks,

Warren

September 24th, 2012 15:00

Hi Warren H., 

Are you referring to XPS 8500? If so, I believe this is how you enable the option of automatic Power on.

Try to load defaults for BIOS:

• Turn off the computer; press F2 at Dell splash screen.
  • Highlight 'Exit' and highlight 'Load Defaults'; press Enter on 'Load Optimized Defaults?, Yes'.
  • Select 'Save Changes and Reset'. press Enter on 'Save configuration and reset?, Yes'

If this does not help, try to update the BIOS. Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
* No external devices (except the keyboard, mouse and monitor) should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved.
Click on 'Download file'>> click 'Continue'>> Click 'Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to (make a note of the folder location)>> Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click 'OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >> If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >> Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator'>>Follow the installation wizard instructions. The computer will reboot after this update.

Do write back with the results.
Please revert for clarification. 

501 Posts

September 25th, 2012 07:00

Manpreet C,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct that my computer is a XPS 8500. Your screen shot shows using the Auto Power On, this is for turning the computer on at specific times not Power On after a power failure. I'm trying to flash bios to A09 but it's giving me a Page Not Found when clicking on the download link.

Warren

501 Posts

September 25th, 2012 13:00

Manpreet C,

Finally was able to download and flash bios to A09. Entered bios and set AC Power Recovery to Power On, F10 Save & Reset. Exit. I still have to use power button on computer after powering on with Trip-Lite isobar. My wife has Inspiron 570 that I have set up using this procedure and hers works fine. Any more suggestions ?

Warren

September 25th, 2012 15:00

Warren, 

Sorry for the delayed response.
If you are comfortable with re-seating components, try these steps:

Observe the following safety precautions before performing any steps:

• Turn off the system and any attached peripherals (printer, USB flash drives, SD card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cord).
  • Disconnect the power cord from the wall jack.
  • Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the system.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to drain the flea power.

To begin with, remove the computer cover. Refer to this video
http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/5824.DR01_5F00_Side_5F00_Cover.wmv 

Here is an image of the location of the CMOS battery (highlighted in yellow). Disconnect and reconnect the CMOS battery:

• Press the battery-release lever (no.1 in image 2) to remove the coin-cell battery.
  • Once done, connect the power cord only to the tower.
  • Disconnect the power cord; press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.

To replace the coin cell battery:

• Insert the coin-cell battery into the socket with the side labeled "+" facing
    up and press down the coin-cell battery in the socket.
  • Replace the computer cover.
  • Change the time and date settings in BIOS.

Once done, set the AC Recovery to Power On and then observe it. 
Also, does the BIOS retain the settings of AC Recovery: Power On?

I am sending you a friend request; please accept it and send me the Service Tag and account information through private message.Please do not share the Service tag in the open forum. I will check the warranty status, system configuration and help you accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                          

No Events found!