Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 400 Bios fails to fully boot

After the ON button is pushed, BIOS begins to boot, but freezes up and fails to fully boot, with the "progress" bar just short of 100% complete.The hard drive icon lights up and the diagnostic LEDs blink on and off during the BIOS booting process. When BIOS hangs, LEDs 1 and 4 remain lit. This combination isn't included in the Troubleshooting section of the manual. The green LED on the mother board is lit and steady. The power button LED is green.

I tried pressing F2 and F12 as BIOS begins to boot, but no results. I've also unplugged all peripherals,  and removed and re-installed both 1 GB RAM sticks, the hard drive, the power cord, and the CMOS battery. BIOS still won't finish booting.

Any advice will be most appreciated!

1 Message

March 29th, 2010 20:00

I had this happen to me with one of my clients. I was able to get it back by these steps:

1 remove power cord.

2 remove cmos battery.

3 depress power button for 60 seconds.

4.reinstall battery and plug power cable back into machine.

5 Reboot system.

This has worked for me multiple time ...

Steve

2 Posts

March 30th, 2010 04:00

Thanks very much for your reply, Steve. I tried all sorts of things along those lines, but it would still hang up during the BIOS boot. I ended up replacing the mother board, which did the trick. Then I found that the sound board was toast. I'm pretty sure all this was the result of a power surge, even though I had the computer plugged in to a surge protector. We're back in business now, so all is good.

Hud

No Events found!