Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 10th, 2008 00:00

XPS 400 SERVICE : DISASTER......

I am fixing a friend's XPS 400. I am a registered business. I also (unfortunately) have a new Dell Laptop.

Everytime I call they think I'm repairing the laptop. I made 8 -- EIGHT long distance phone calls today.

The XPS 400 is still broken even after putting in a new motherboard and hard disk.  It will read the diagnostic CD that came with the swap motherboard but not ANY Microsoft Operating System CDs ....  ALL of the diagnostic tests PASS.  What's stopping the system load ???

Is this some twisted effort to control  OS cloning ??

Dell Support made it pretty clear that a used DELL maachine is useless -- they will only send parts to he original owner's address -- so they have NO trade in value at all.

I need an answer before I go to a regional small business meeting  Wednesday.

36 Posts

August 10th, 2008 03:00

the list just keeps on growing as to why anyone would not want to buy a Dell anymore

I can not believe all of the things that they are doing Its like they are trying to drive their customers off I own 4 Dells myself including the unfixable 630i  plus one old 7955 HP not counting my 486D

x2from packard bell about 20 odd years ago and still working Dell has been good to me until the 630 now i dont know if I'll ever buy another from them:smileymad:

935 Posts

August 10th, 2008 12:00

When you say it's not reading any MS OS CD, does the install start (starts to load files) but BSODs? If so, it probably has RAID enabled and the installation needs the RAID SATA drivers loaded (F6 during install for XP). If RAID isn't going to be used, disable it in the system setup (F2) by setting Drives -> SATA Operation -> RAID Autodetect/ATA. Besides the diagnostic CD have you tried other bootable CDs?

3 Posts

August 12th, 2008 20:00

The machine boots Caldera DR-DOS and SuSE Linux from the DVD with out a hitch.........

Finally got the Win XP MCE reload CD from Big D and loaded right away but now the diagnostics /

drivers CD doesn't have the *.inf files for the LAN chip, Video Card, or sound chip - wrong CD !!! 

No Events found!