Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 22:00

XPS 400 Will not turn on.

The power button on the front of the computer case just blinks yellow(orange?) color. No power, no boot up, etc..... When I opened up the case and reseated the memory, hard drive, etc. there is no change. I'm suspecting the power supply is wasted, but I am not sure. I did notice that the reverse side where USB and ethernet plugs in, there is a little piece that has a steady blinking of two different lights. Both the lights are on the same piece but one is yellow and one is orange. As I stated, they are blinking steadily. The only light that is steady is the green light on the motherboard. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be.

57 Posts

January 18th, 2010 02:00

Hiya,

I looked it up in my instruction manual. It says that a blinking amber power light means

"The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist."

"Ensure the voltage power switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable)

Ensure that all system components and cables are properly installed and securely connected to the system board"

Have you moved the computer?  Sometimes even if you haven't, the components inside the case sometimes work themselves a bit loose sometimes just with the heating and cooling the system board goes through when you start and shut down  your machine.

If that doesn't help, I'm sorry but that's the limit of my techie expertise..

:)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2010 14:00

dallasmd

A blinking amber power switch LED, usually indicates a power supply problem, first try opening the case, remove and reconnect all the power connectors to the motherboard and drives.

No difference, then replace the power supply.

The XPS400 system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the XPS 400 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from most local, or online computer stores.

Bev.

No Events found!