Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

April 27th, 2010 17:00

XPS 410, Replacing Mother Board

I have a Dell XPS 410 and the mother board needs to be replaced.  I have obtainned a Dell replacement throught Dell.  My question is this, what am I in for when doingn this replacement?  Is it as simple as removing the old mother board and its compoments, installing the new motherboard and all its components and power it up?  Does anything have to be done in the bois when firs booting up?

Any suggestions and help would be great before I tackle this task.

Will

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 27th, 2010 18:00

If you can, run BIOS setup with the old board in place (reboot and press F2). Copy down all the current settings so you can set BIOS correctly on the new board after it's installed.

You probably want to read Removing and Installing Parts 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

in the XPS410 which has sections on replacing the motherboard and other parts. You may need a small tube of Arctic Silver or other brand of thermal paste too. You'll have to remove old paste from the heatsink and CPU and apply a thin layer of new paste before attaching the PSU to the CPU once it's installed on the new motherboard.

Be sure to ground yourself and avoid static electricity when handling electronics.

When you first boot up, have only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected. Run BIOS setup and configure it with the settings you copied from the previous board.

Ron

6 Posts

May 16th, 2010 12:00

Ron,

I got around today to replace the Mother Board.  Everything went well, but I was not able to access the bios to copy down the settings.  Right now, I cannot access the os.  The window screen comes up then goes to the blue screen with the following error codes:

0x0000007B

0xBAHC3524

0x00000000

0x00000000

The board is a direct replacment Dell board.  Is there anytning else that needs to be done or recommended bios settings?

Will

14.4K Posts

May 16th, 2010 14:00

HERE is the bios listing. The main one I would look at would be the SATA Operation. Try setting it to Raid Autodetect/ATA

6 Posts

May 16th, 2010 14:00

It was originally set to Radi Autodetect/ATA.  I change to Raid on and everything booted right up!  I hooked up my accessories and all the USB ports now work and I have full functiallity once again.  Thanks for your help and quick respones.

Will

14.4K Posts

May 16th, 2010 15:00

Your welcome Glad to hear you got it working.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 16th, 2010 18:00

:emotion-21:

Ron

No Events found!