Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2008 17:00

XPS 420, GPU running too hot?

I just got my XPS yesterday and absolutely love it.    I decided to go ahead and get Everest today to see what kind of range my temps were at.   Everything looked fairly normal, all cores running at 36C while idle...  Then I saw the temps for my GPU (8800GT)....70C while idle.    I've been out of the hardware loop for a few years, but unless things have changed too high while sitting idle. 

I'm just curious if the sensor or software could be reading things wrong.   I've played some pretty demanding games on it already (Crysis namely) and it seems to be run it just fine.  When playing these games I hear the  GPU fan kick in on high speed but I figure that's to be expected.  I don't see a way to monitor the temps with Everest to see what kind of temps it would read while under full load, but maybe I'm just missing it

Should I be worried?   

14.4K Posts

July 4th, 2008 18:00

pick up GPU-z from HERE

See what it reports.

July 4th, 2008 18:00

Reporting the same, currently sitting at 71C

14.4K Posts

July 4th, 2008 20:00

Try loading the most current Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia web site.

Also get a copy of Riviatuner to help monitor and adjust the cards fan.  Riviatuner

July 4th, 2008 21:00

I'm using the latest NVidia drivers and I downloaded Riviatuner but I don't see any  monitoring tools on it?  I contacted Dell and at first they seemed concerned, but then tried to pull the "Oh, its normal with Vista don't worry".  When I inquired about why I shouldn't worry about it running this hot while idle they acted like they basically had no idea what could cause this.   In the end they basically said if my GPU fails I am under warranty but until then there's nothing they can do.   

I'm wishing I had never bothered checking the temps.... lol.

552 Posts

July 4th, 2008 22:00

Quote:  Everything looked fairly normal, all cores running at 36C while idle...  Then I saw the temps for my GPU (8800GT)....70C while idle.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I am running the same setup and Everest gives me the same CPU temps and 65 degrees on the GPU at idle.

I have seen it go as high as 70 degrees a couple times but not often.

I don't think I would be overly concerned at this point.

I never hear the fans spin up at all.

Hope this helps.

258 Posts

July 5th, 2008 00:00

My 8800GT is at 55C now - and I've never heard the fan rev up.

60 Posts

July 5th, 2008 10:00

Welcome to the 8800GT inside the XPS420, it runs HOT. The case cooling is not optimum  It freaked me out first time I saw it too. It was idling at 71C a few months ago in our summer, now it is winter here and it idles at 61C

I don't game with the PC so it is not a problem for me

The fan is also seems stuck at 29% never moves for me, I downloaded NVIDIA nTune to adjust the fan speed manually. Some other 8800GT cards have had a firmware update to allow the fan to increase with temperatures. Dell should really move on this and do it as well.

You can setup profiles in Rivatuner to accomplish the same thing I hear.

Message Edited by SamR1 on 07-05-2008 09:04 AM

244 Posts

July 5th, 2008 17:00

What helped me out alot was adding an exhaust fan right above the vid card.

My temps went from 60's to high 40's.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 6th, 2008 02:00

xps420OC,

Please post some pictures of your added fan installed.

60 Posts

July 6th, 2008 06:00

Yeah, I would like to see that too Please

244 Posts

July 6th, 2008 18:00

Sorry, I no longer have the XPS420, so I cant send pics.

But I put a 80mm fan in the mesh above the expansion slots.

No Events found!