Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 8th, 2008 16:00

XPS 420 - HDD Vibration

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but does anyone have an answer for the rhythmic vibration I'm experiencing on my XPS 420?

It is a constant low vibration with a 1/2s frequency and can be felt on the chassis but more annoyingly through the floor and rooms below.

The original Samsungs have been replaced and it now has a Seagate 320GB and a Western Digital 320GB drive on Raid 0. (long story)

When I use the symptom tree and temporarily disable either drive the vibration stops.

Regards

S

20 Posts

July 9th, 2008 03:00

To combat the vibration I get in my case (although it doesn't seem as serious as what you're describing), I purchased some Dynamat Extreme and lined the inside of the case with it. I am also going to get a silicon sleeve for the HDD so it has extra padding (for lack of a better description). The HDD's being mounted on the bottom of the case brings about the vibration. Only thing you can do is improvise and look up customization tactics on soundproofing and noise dampening to lessen, or fix, the problem. Hope this helps.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2008 15:00

Simon,

thanks for your help.

I went into my local PC Computer shop and the XPS 420 on display was exhibiting exactly the same symptoms.

I've ordered a set of silicon noise dampening feet so I'll see how they go.

The same supplier (QuietPC) also offers noise dampening supports for HDD's but they don't think the supports would fit my PC as Dell's  often have 'non-standard' supports.

Frankly, I don't see why we should have to do this for a 'premium' PC.

Regards

S

258 Posts

July 11th, 2008 01:00

My PC makes no vibration at all - do you think your vibration is caused by multiple HD's?

70 Posts

July 14th, 2008 03:00

The vibration noise on my XPS 420 is annoyingly caused by the fan that cools the CPU heatsink. It must vibrate off of its axis after spinning for a while, pressing the side panels or front plastic panel stops it temporarily.

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 16:00

Hello,

I'm assuming it is the multiple HDD's as , when I disable one using the symptom tree, the vibration goes.

Running the fans at full speed in diagnostics (is there more than one fan?) makes no difference.

However, the side panel used to vibrate until I refitted it. I

I find a heavy book helps or leaning it at 45 degrees so only to sit on two points. :smileyhappy:

11 Posts

December 8th, 2008 10:00

My PC makes no vibration at all - do you think your vibration is caused by multiple HD's?

Hi, any idea why I was e-mailed an update to this thread today?

258 Posts

December 8th, 2008 17:00

I think the new forum might still be a little buggy.

Jim

799 Posts

December 15th, 2008 16:00

Hello,I'm assuming it is the multiple HDD's as , when I disable one using the symptom tree, the vibration goes.

hello stuartmac, I have 3 hard drives in my XPS420, and have no vibration at all. I cannot even hear the system running.

My primary drive is a 10,000 rpm WD, one is a Seagate, and one is a Maxtor.

I wouldn't think your system should have this vibration.

It may be a bad hard drive causing the vibration.

Just a thought.

No Events found!