yann.r
1 Copper

Re: XPS 420 SATA RAID and drive failing

I'm France.
XPS420 made in Ireland. Shipment made December 19th, 2007.
One sticker below the case says "model : WL-138G V2"

Message Edited by yann.r on 01-24-2008 01:45 AM
0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

The sticker refers to the wireless card inside the computer.

Not good I just bought one from Dell in the UK and they come form Ireland...

Keep posting, Dell liaisons on here should spot this thread and flag up if everybody who is experiencing problems has their machine is from Ireland. Good thing about the service tag is Dell can tell what batch of boards were used, which computers are affected by it and inform users/support agents that the computer may have a faulty motherboard.
0 Kudos
mtempelm
2 Bronze

Well, Paul if it helps any sure...Dallas, TX.  Guess I've got one leg up on the rest of us here in that I can pack up my system and take it straight to Round Rock, TX.  Since I've been to their HQ facilities before I think I can find Michael's office pretty quick 🙂
0 Kudos
rupert_hollom
1 Copper

I am in the UK, so the machine came from Ireland, ordered early Dec and arrived mid December - it was OK for the first few weeks but now seems to be failing on a afairly regular basis. I don't want to send the machine back as it is actually my girlfriends work machine - she works from home but we provide the computer. I have already logged the call with Dell once but think I will contact them again to complain about it - the machine was already loaded with A03 BIOS when we received it and I have updated all the drivers to the latest versions from the Dell site, but to no avail. I have got a 2 port SATA RAID card somewhere, it is tempting to stick that in and see if the problem goes away!
0 Kudos
Tony4052
1 Copper

I also have the same problem. Purchased end of dec dilivered begining of Jan. Raid and memory problems. I have an engineer coming out next friday but from what I have been reading, I dont expect there is much he will be able to do.

Built in Ireland and Im in England

Tony
0 Kudos
mtempelm
2 Bronze

For what it's worth.....

I ended up sacrificing the recovery partition and chose to bypass the entire RAID configuration thinking that was the ultimate source of my problems.  Made the necessary changes in the RAID controller setup and in CMOS to configure the two 500GB drives independently as C: and D:.  I did not like the reinstall process from the system recovery CD/DVD's as it was difficult to pinpoint all the specific drivers, system apps, etc.  So I decided to revert back to the original config from the factory.

I re-enabled RAID0 by reversing the steps mentioned above and did a full system restore from a system image I had done earlier before all the problems began.  The restore process repartitioned the two 500GB drives as one C: along with the 15GB recovery partition D:.

I did this last weekend and since then have been installing one application at a time and the system has been very stable.  No unexpected shutdowns or errors on the RAID startup screen when booting.  It seems logical that the unexpected shutdowns more than likely corrupt the RAID setup; thus one causes the other.

I'm hoping that rebuilding the system may have resolved my issues.  Time will tell.

Mike

Message Edited by mtempelm on 02-01-2008 08:55 AM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rupert_hollom
1 Copper

I got a phone call from Dell on Wednesday and was told that the RAID issue was to do with the RAID controller and the Samsung 230GB disks!  So we had an engineer out today who swapped the Samsung drives for some different ones - don't know what sort yet as I am at work and the machine is at home.  I hope this fixes it as all the software that was on the machine will need to be re-installed!  Why they couldn't replace one of the disks then wait for the array to re-build then swap the other one I don't know!
0 Kudos
mtempelm
2 Bronze

Well that sounds promising, Rupert.  Let's hope a different hard drive mftr does the trick and they can reload all the system software as it came from the factory.  Keep us posted.
0 Kudos
nigelwill
2 Bronze

Interesting that Dell seem to have come up with a solution, even if it means replacing both drives. I've had the RAID problem almost every day this last week. I spoke to Dell in the US/Canada earlier this week (as I called quite late at night) and they could offer no solution, nor were they aware that there is such a common problem with this model.

So perhaps I should call them again tomorrow and see if they can arrange for an engineer to swap out my drives. The alternative is to break the RAID into the component disks and re-install Vista.

Both solutions seem to involve some sort of re-installation, but if that means I have a reliable PC, I will be happy.
0 Kudos
rupert_hollom
1 Copper

Unfortunately the engineer installed the drives as RAID 0! So I ended up deleting that array, putting one of the original drives back in (which they have left us with for a few days to make sure all is OK) together with one of the new drives - this was added to the original RAID 1 array, courtesy of the original Samsung drive and the Array rebuilt itself.  I then swapped the original Samsung for the other new Seagate Barracuda and this was added to the array which is currently re-building as I type this, so I have got the original data but on an array with 2 new drives, took a bit of time, but was less painful than re-installing everything again!

Be interested to know if other people who have been affected by this also have Samsung drives - which is what Dell claims the problem to be...

Message Edited by rupert_hollom on 02-01-2008 03:32 PM
0 Kudos