nigelwill
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 420 SATA RAID and drive failing

I installed SP1 (2nd refresh) on my original setup, but it did not make a difference. Since then I have re-installed Vista on the 2 new Seagate drives and it failed twice in 2 days. It's been OK for a coupld of days now, although I haven't been using the PC very much.

So the problem is not really solved, but like many people here, I've been unable to find a specific cause of the problem.
0 Kudos
Tony4052
1 Copper

My new drives have been in over a week now and I have not had a problem....yet....

Does windows update automaticaly install SP1 or do i need to manually download it

0 Kudos
nigelwill
2 Bronze

SP1 hasn't officially been released by Microsoft, but you should be able to get the most recend Release Candidate from their site. Install is fairly easy.
0 Kudos
Seajays
2 Bronze

I just spoke to XPS support tonight on the same issue.

The story from XPS support at the moment is definitely that Vista Service Pack 1 is going to fix it.

They are aware of the issue, but they have no other fix for it at the moment, except to confirm that it is not a drive fault, and the only workaround just now is to go back into the Intel Matrix Manager and mark the drive back as 'normal'.

The only thing to do just now he said, is to wait the few weeks until Vista SP1 comes out. Smiley Sad
Message Edited by Seajays on 02-18-2008 09:28 PM
0 Kudos
nigelwill
2 Bronze

The SP1 refresh 2 did not fix the problem for me, so I expect Dell (as ever) are clutching at straws..... but at least they now admit to not having a solution that works!
0 Kudos
didfra
1 Copper

Hi,

I experiment the same pb with my new XPS420 / XP / ICH9R.

Does anyone test switching HD SATA port from 1-2 to 3-4 ?

0 Kudos
Shootyz
1 Copper

I have been having the same issue since I got my XPS420 about a month ago, my mate ordered a couple at the same time and he has already had 1 replaced due to this issue.

Ive been doing some digging on the web and there appear to be a few causes and solutions for this:-

Apple quicktime install or Itunes install fails or performs poorly, this was my downfall and my mates, basically there is some sort of issue with Apples software and one of the Intel Matrix drivers, its causes lots of read error which eventually flag the drive as errored. You can mark the drive as normal via the Matrix software but for me my machine would hang after 5 minutes of use and I would be lucky if I could boot back into Vista, it hung just after the Raid bios message. To get around this you can enable writeback cache on the array via the Matrix software but this is a risky and can cause possible data loss scenarios. It worked for me for a while but Im getting the same error occurred error now afte running Bishock for a couple of hours, the game freezes and I get a solid hard drive light, no option but to hard reset, both times this has happend I've had a drive marked error occured and had issues getting into Vista again, multiple reboots, going into safe mode or letting a repair process go through.

Another possible cause I found  was that there is an issue with Vista installtions CD, all of them , something about the install of an incorrect driver for hibernation ( or the like ), it should only install onto laptop setups but installs onto desktops, this is a known microsoft issue thaat Dell are  aware of and apparently should be resolved with SP1.

Another possible solution that the post above mentions is to change the SATA ports that the drives connect to from 1 & 2 to others, you have to enable them in the BIOS I belive and then disable the old 1 & 2 ports, I cannot remember the precise procedure but I can post it when I get home.

There was some other fix that involved some reg changes invovling the intel matrix drivers.

Currrenlty I have uninstalled quicktime and disabled writeback cache but I suspect that this wont fix the issue.

Overall there is an underlying issue somwhere with no clear soultion other than to break the RAID and go back to a traditional drive setup, something I didn't pay money for!

0 Kudos
MMTWRX
2 Iron

Sorry I didn't see this thread.

I've had the same issues with my xps420. 4 weeks after purchase 1 of the HDD is reported as failed in the raid 1. Anyway, Dell have responded extremely quick in my case, called tech support Sunday asked to do a test which took 10 hours reported back Monday. Tuesday an engineer came and swapped out both HDD and reinstalled all the shipped software.  

Some points.

The 'Intel Matrix Control Panel' kept freezing when I tried to open it after the HDD failure

The HDD were Samsung and are now Western Digital (according to the engineer that installed them).

I'm in the UK and my system came from Ireland mid Jan 08

I will keep you posted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Shootyz
1 Copper

Here is a URL detailing the quicktime issue:-

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6109829&#6109829

This one has some details on how to change you SATA connections:-

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1358943&siteid=17&PageID=1

Another thread with relevant info:-

http://www.flyingnerd.com/intel-raid-problem-under-windows-vista/

0 Kudos
Seajays
2 Bronze

The whole thing is very weird.  When it happened a couple of days ago I checked the event log.

I switched my computer on at 7:54pm and left it to start up while I then went to get my daughter ready for bed.

I then logged in at 8:18pm and lo and behold one of the drives was now coming up as 'failed'. 

Looking in the vista event viewer application log I was able to see exactly when it had happened as IAANTmon reported the drive status changing from Normal to Failed at 8:03pm!

So before I had even logged in and done anything one of the drives had 'failed'.

0 Kudos