Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 23rd, 2008 16:00

XPS 420 SATA RAID and drive failing

I have recently bought an XPS 420 with 4GB RAM, and an Intel SATA RAID controller with a pair of 320GB drives in RAID 1 configuration running Vista Home premium

Sometimes the machine claims that one of the drives has failed, but (on the recommendation of a Dell support technician) I can go into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software and mark the drive as active (or similar wording) then all is OK for a while, sometimes a number of hours, sometimes days and then it all happens again.

I was informed by Dell that this was a driver issue, can someone confirm this and also what Dell is doing to sort this issue out as the machine become very slow when the array is being rebuilt.  Is it possible that the drives are failing but the software can bring them back online for short periods?

If this is a known issue, I am rather disappointed that it wasn't flagged up when ordering the system.

Any pointers or info on this would be appreciated.

THanks,
Rupert.

14 Posts

March 25th, 2008 15:00

ok, will try and update firmware, does this work on your computer?

Regards,

Gregg B 

20 Posts

March 26th, 2008 06:00

Hello Didfra,

It seems Dell is still testing the solution and/or sending it to "selected" customers to have it tested in the field...

I received these files too, directly from French Dell Support representative. Following the way I received them, it seems to me this is still kept as quite unofficial.

I flashed my Samsung Hard Drives with firmware CR100-13 (replacing CR100-12) flawlessly, using the bootable CD-R I've made with the .ISO provided. Rebooting my Vista few minutes later...

So far, no problem on my XPS420 but my HDD/Controler failures were not happening since several weeks, so it is rather difficult to determine how helpful this update is for me.

7 Posts

March 26th, 2008 06:00

Hi all,

Many thanks to paulbeattie87 , but I should like to know why the R180581.exe fix is downloadabled from

http://www.beattienet.co.uk/dell and not from an official DELL site, and why DELL-ChrisM did'nt advice us that this fix was available ?
For information, i have a good working config until i have populated the third SATA port (port #2) with a third samsung HD501LJ drive.
I mean :
SATA 0 --> HD501LJ (RAID1)
SATA 1 --> HD501LJ (RAID1)
SATA 2 --> HD501LJ (NON-RAID)

4 Posts

March 26th, 2008 11:00

sooo, if this is a fix for people with the original samsung drives, what do we do if we've replaced the samsungs with the seagates?!

is 2 weeks really long enough to be sure? i didn't get any problems in the first place for at least 4 weeks post-purchase.

52 Posts

@TRCrook wrote:

sooo, if this is a fix for people with the original samsung drives, what do we do if we've replaced the samsungs with the seagates?!

is 2 weeks really long enough to be sure? i didn't get any problems in the first place for at least 4 weeks post-purchase.

I agree. My Samsung drives were exchanged for WD's, very efficiently I might add, and I haven't had any issues since. But, without trolling back through the whole thread, I am sure some peeps were still experiencing some issues with other drives.

14 Posts

HI All,

Update seems to work, we just have to wait couple of weeks to be 100% sure. Imagine thousands XPS420 buyers who doesnt know that update is on. No one contacted me, no one from Dell contacted forum yet - seems the fix is still unofficial. Worth writing a story to national newspaper about quality of service. I even have a good term, read it on one of the forums earlier "guerilla support". What is your say?:D

Regards,

Gregg B 

32 Posts

March 26th, 2008 12:00

Perhaps somone from Dell can advise us when fixes for the Seagate drives will be available? Mine crashed twice last night and had to rebuild yet again.

14 Posts

March 26th, 2008 12:00

I would suggest to wait for about 4-6 weeks before we make any statement, because I remember my disks starting to fail after 4-5 weeks, first they lost integrity in startup (errors occured message on them), then they began to fail. No doubt we need statement from Dell now. Chris, anyone? 

241 Posts

March 26th, 2008 13:00

@didfra wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks to paulbeattie87 , but I should like to know why the R180581.exe fix is downloadabled from

http://www.beattienet.co.uk/dell and not from an official DELL site, and why DELL-ChrisM did'nt advice us that this fix was available ?
For information, i have a good working config until i have populated the third SATA port (port #2) with a third samsung HD501LJ drive.
I mean :
SATA 0 --> HD501LJ (RAID1)
SATA 1 --> HD501LJ (RAID1)
SATA 2 --> HD501LJ (NON-RAID)

Excellent point, I have posted it on my personal webspace. I did have a look around the net and couldn't find it anywhere to download. It's been virus scanned using the latest AVG definitions when it was uploaded and I personally updated my drives with the same file. Tt was delivered direct to my desktop via Dell Connect aka Citrix Go To Assist, its the software Dell use to take remote control of users computers. The /dell folder simply keeps everything tidy at my end.
It is annoying that Dell haven't uploaded it to their FTP website but I'd rather other users like myself got the update and were able to get a fuller picture and a possible fix than sit about waiting for something to happen on Dells end or lose more work when it locks up.

As for the length of time to wait, mine would usually freeze at least once a week and it locked up within hours of using it. 
Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 03-26-2008 02:05 PM

7 Posts

March 26th, 2008 15:00

Hi paulbeattie87,

I thank you very much to help us, and me in particular, and my post was not to obtain your explanations, but only to make DELL reacting in front of their so insufficent manner to resolve our pb.

I have fixed my three HD501LJ, but it was already working fine with the config i just described above.

Thankx again.

Didier

241 Posts

March 26th, 2008 15:00

Not to worry, I'd be asking the same questions if I seen a Dell file hosted at a website I'd never heard of before. But the domain is registered to me just ask Nominet the UK registrars :)

Glad your issues are fixed, I'm hoping this patch fixes mine and well so far so good, its been on for about a day solid now and its yet to freeze :) :)

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 03-26-2008 04:27 PM

14 Posts

March 26th, 2008 23:00

paulbeattie87,

you are truly great net-friend!

thank You,

Gregg B 

52 Posts

March 27th, 2008 10:00

http://www.beattienet.co.uk/dell

Why wont the link work for me....it says error 403 - Forbidden

52 Posts

March 27th, 2008 12:00

:smileywink: Thanks.

241 Posts

March 27th, 2008 12:00

You need to get the link directly to the file. http://www.beattienet.co.uk/dell/R180581.exe
Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 03-27-2008 01:02 PM
No Events found!