brl21
1 Copper

Re: XPS 420 SATA RAID and drive failing

@Davet50 wrote:
Chris M posted an answer to this...performance enchanments and support for Yorkfield processors

Ah, great, thanks. Fingers very firmly crossed then!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Txtlocal
1 Copper

Hey,

Thought I would just join the club (unwillingly).

I have XPS 420 Dual Samsung HD321KJ in RAID(0) - Vista Home Premium

Been running for 2.5 months, get lockups nearly every day - spinning blue icon in Vista.  It can happen at any time - totally random.

Also, sometimes get BSOD with generic 00000008086 error.

I then have to reboot and get the "Press Ctrl-I to enter config utility" where the system hangs for about 5 minutes and then attempts to start Windows.  I then get options to "Launch Startup Repair" which apparently fails and can't find a problem, but usually allows me to get back to desktop.

I have just applies Samsung upgrade and Firmware A04 - so fingers crossed that all is now resolved. 

This is driving me totally crazy!!!!  I spend an hour every day messing about trying to get my computer to desktop.  It is not accesptable, the support team were clueless when i called and went through the normal scripted stuff and denied that anyone else has this issue (when clearly hundreds - if not thousands do!!!!).
0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

The Samsung upgrade fixed mine. Best thing about living in the UK is the great Dell customer care... or lack of customer care should I say.

Don't expect anything in the way of an apology from Dell for the trouble you have had or lost work when it locks up.

0 Kudos
VirtualOdin
1 Copper

@Seajays wrote:

Has anybody seen any connection with having a CD mounted in the drive and the frequency of failures?

I often leave a CD in the drive (e.g. after playing games etc), and don't remove them. I noticed that the RAID array was failing almost every day when I was leaving them in there, but now I've taken out the CD disk and it hasn't failed for a few days again.

Maybe just coincidence of course.

I had just the same when I left my external HDD running on a re-boot. It seemed as though Vista tried to boot from the external HDD got in a tizzy so I had to do a hard power down; and then needed to re-set the RAID array back to a known good base (I surmise this because a small change I had made to one setting minutes before was lost after the re-boot). Pain! It took hours for the raid drive to re-sync. Can this all be fixed in the BIOS settings, I wonder? It is a pain having to remember to take out disks, switch off external drives. And sometimes an update will force a re-boot even whhen the machine is unattended.

Message Edited by VirtualOdin on 05-02-2008 08:54 AM
0 Kudos