Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 13th, 2008 05:00

XPS 420 Screeching Noise from Power Supply

All,

We hear your complaints and are investigating the issue thoroughly. We had thought that the issue was with the Western Digital and Hitachi hard disk drives but this is not so. We are working on a new power supply for the long term solution. At this time, getting a replacement power supply or system exchange will not correct the issue. When the new power supply is validated, I will let you know. Please be patient.

For now, I need your DCF username. This is the list of usernames I already have -
paulbeattie87
bajor1
Buzzi
Siraolo
shirovin
cobralightning22
ballenjr
chucksten
packerFan07
spinningcircles
dguo0619
PaleGreen1
H_P

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

22 Posts

June 16th, 2008 08:00

Dell come today and changed my Power Supply. Changed from 375W to 425W (C921D).  I just want to know if I got the right one.

22 Posts

June 16th, 2008 08:00

Seriously, the humming sound still exists. I don’t think that I got the right part.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2008 15:00

Tidis,

Is the part number on the power supply? Just a humming or a LOUD humming?

22 Posts

June 16th, 2008 23:00

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, Banctec (partner to Dell) come yesterday and changed my power Supply. They changed from a 345W (don’t know the part number) to a 425W (C921D) power supply. After a fifteen minutes test of my system the loud humming or buzzing sound went back liked before. Did I have the right Part?
Message Edited by Tidis on 06-16-2008 07:16 PM
Message Edited by Tidis on 06-16-2008 07:18 PM

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 13:00

Hi,

I'm french and I would buy the XPS 420, but for a week I've read a lot of things about the noise it makes...

What about it ? Is the problem fixed ? 

Thanks for your answer...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2008 14:00

Nope, from what I know, I still havent received a replacement part. Im aslo guessing all the new 420's dont have the new power supply yet. So again, no, the problem hasnt been fixed, i believe.

The problem isnt very noticeable. Its just when you do notice it, its very irratating, and as I and sevreal others have spent a lot of money on our desktops, we expected getting a near flawless computer which dell has yet to provide us with.

Im just glad that the problem is in the process of being fixed.

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 15:00

Ohhhh... If a common microphone can't record it, that's not a "noise"...! Good news !

But before paying 1000€, I just would like hear the noise of the XPS 420, to be sure...

Thanks in advance ! 

6 Posts

Ok...Thanks...

Noise is something very subjective... Can anyone record this noise ?

I hope Dell will find a real solution soon ! 

241 Posts

Most audio compression removes sounds which cannot be heard by the human ear.

As for recording it well yeah you could try making the room s quiet as possible, the other option would be to pop the computer on it sides, take the side off and hold the microphone close to the PSU ovbiously not getting electrocuted. 

Thats how I recorded mine!  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Well, the thing is that it is very high pitch, almost super sonic as some have described, so i doubt it can be clearly picked up by a common microphone. This is one of the reasons why its not always noticeable. For me, i can only hear it when my aircon is off.

I guess you could try imagining a super high pitch, constant tone in the background, without a clear origin.

Like the sound u hear when u turn on ur CRT TV (if u have one that is).

241 Posts

The common microphone can usually pick-up more than the common human ear.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

ok, then why dont u record it for us?

I'm sure u have a super silent room, which prevents any background noises from being picked up from ur mic, except for the sound u intend to record, because most microphones are unable to focus their recoding on just one sound.

I just hope by the time it becomes a .mp3 or wav file, that the "hmmmmmmmmm (ultra high pitch sound)" can still be heard, as converting,transporting files is known to cause a loss in audio quality.

12 Posts

June 28th, 2008 09:00

Hi Chris,

It's almost July, any updates on fixing the 425w power supply?

Thanks!

9 Posts

July 11th, 2008 13:00

Do we have any updates on the power supply problem for the XPS 420?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 11th, 2008 15:00

The new power supply (C921D) should be available to our technicians even though it is not listed in the RSL. When they setup a service, they should notate the following:

Parts Returned = TP728 425w power supply

Parts Ordered = C921D 425w power supply
No Events found!