Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: XPS 420 Screeching Noise from Power Supply

ok, then why dont u record it for us?

I'm sure u have a super silent room, which prevents any background noises from being picked up from ur mic, except for the sound u intend to record, because most microphones are unable to focus their recoding on just one sound.

I just hope by the time it becomes a .mp3 or wav file, that the "hmmmmmmmmm (ultra high pitch sound)" can still be heard, as converting,transporting files is known to cause a loss in audio quality.

0 Kudos
ARGonath
2 Bronze

Ohhhh... If a common microphone can't record it, that's not a "noise"...! Good news !

But before paying 1000€, I just would like hear the noise of the XPS 420, to be sure...

Thanks in advance ! 

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentum

Most audio compression removes sounds which cannot be heard by the human ear.

As for recording it well yeah you could try making the room s quiet as possible, the other option would be to pop the computer on it sides, take the side off and hold the microphone close to the PSU ovbiously not getting electrocuted. 

Thats how I recorded mine!  

0 Kudos
martychen
2 Bronze

Hi Chris,

It's almost July, any updates on fixing the 425w power supply?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Groksmith
2 Bronze

Do we have any updates on the power supply problem for the XPS 420?

0 Kudos
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

The new power supply (C921D) should be available to our technicians even though it is not listed in the RSL. When they setup a service, they should notate the following:

Parts Returned = TP728 425w power supply

Parts Ordered = C921D 425w power supply

0 Kudos
mysonic
2 Bronze

Chris Could u add me.. my 2 month XPS having high pitch sound
0 Kudos
JetGreen
2 Bronze

If you try to do this through Dell Support (and they even honor your request to send a new power supply... YMMV), there is no guarantee you will get the newer, non-screeching PSU.  You cannot request specific part numbers for replacements.  In fact, when I made this request to Dell Support, not only did I get the old PSU model (TP728), I got a refurb to boot.  So the screech continues.
0 Kudos
TheNode
3 Silver

I can hear the screeching from another room sometimes, and it seems to be causing a lot of my headaches, or agitate. Is there any real solution to this problem?
Message Edited by TheNode on 09-05-2008 08:30 PM
0 Kudos
Tidis
2 Bronze

1. If your Power Supply is screeching you can solve the issue by changing it to a C921D 425w power supply.

2. If your hard drives are screeching like mine (Western 320 x 2) you can solve it by putting a thick and soft-elastic carton paper under the front of your XPS 420. Like this:

http://img222.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=07690_2008-09-06-55230_122_61lo.jpg

Good Luck, hope this will help you!

0 Kudos