3 Argentum

XPS 420 Windows Vista: monitor will not power down

I have the monitor on my XPS 420 (running Windows Vista) set to power off in 5 minutes in my power scheme, with no screen saver.  Both users (admin and me) have this set, power down the monitor after 5 minutes.  I've also checked that display -> adaptive display is "off".  If there's anything up on my desktop, like a browser, the monitor will not be powered off after 5 minutes of inactivity.  If there's nothing displayed, the monitor will power off.

This is behaving like "adaptive display" is "on", but it isn't, at least the settings say that it is off.  Or like there's a screen saver perhaps keeping the monitor on...I have "no screensaver" (not "blank screen") set for both me and the admin user.

Any ideas how I can get the monitor to turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity, whether there's something displayed on my monitor or not?  This doesn't make any sense to me, unless there's another place (other than the power scheme under both "Power Options" in the control panel or the power scheme under Personalize -> Screen Saver) that might be over-riding what I've set.

I'm open to any suggestions about what to try to get my monitor to consistently turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

Thanks for your help.

-Roger 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 420 Windows Vista: monitor will not power down

I have my monitor set to power off at 30 minutes and it will if there is no PC activity.  I do not have a screensaver set and  have all the defaults set in the Power Scheme - nothing modified.

Some browser activity, such as something with flash/shockwave, could cause it to not to activate whatever power setup you have.  Also, if you have a wireless keyboard that can be an issue. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i7 8700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

Thanks for the thoughts, I wasn't aware that flash or shockware stuff in a browser could keep the monitor from turning off...I'll keep a better eye on what's actually going on in my browser when it isn't turning off...Seems like there should be some way to say "turn off unless I do something", meaning requiring me to do something active like move or click a mouse, type on a keyboard, etc.

Anyways, that's worth a look...Any other thoughts would also be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Roger

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

After paying attention to what was displayed on my monitor when it wouldn't power down after 5 minutes, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what is displayed in my browser, as long as my browser is up, the monitor will not power down.

Never seen anything like it...this should just work but doesn't.  I guess that this is a sign that I need to live with this one.

Too bad.

-Roger

0 Kudos