Re: XPS 420 change power supply

Thanks! That's an excellent upgrade. probably allows for a little neater cabling. And you could run a 9800GTX with no worries. Later in the year you'll probably be able to upgrade to the new nvidia series high end card (as long as it exhausts heat well). Upgrading processor and adding drives will be no problem. Really, I think the PSU might be the biggest bottleneck to upgrades on the 420. I suppose the cooling system might be the next thing to attack after that.
0 Kudos
cancerx
1 Nickel

I put in an antec earthwatts 650 and it fit just about like yours did.  The cabling isn't as neat as yours, but with

cable ties i managed to get it looking ok.

wes

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Noob, here you go again posting on a three month old thread.  Is there something that compels you to waste your time for those that may never see this ?

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

0 Kudos
cancerx
1 Nickel

Because there is a dearth of information about power supplies that work.  I started my own thread, but am also adding my info to threads that have info about psu replacements because if you come here and use the search function these are the threads that show up.  someone who wants the info will stumble across it. 

0 Kudos
contrvlr
5 Tungsten

@cancerx wrote:

Because there is a dearth of information about power supplies that work.  I started my own thread, but am also adding my info to threads that have info about psu replacements because if you come here and use the search function these are the threads that show up.  someone who wants the info will stumble across it. 

You're very first post would show up in the search, no need to spam the boards with the info by posting in 3 or 4 month old threads.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

0 Kudos
Highlighted
newell20
1 Copper

dell should support either if either came from dell considering they made a huge mistake in xps line computer puting lowe power supplys  in them then not telling customers only to have them find out when theyre computer crashes constantly from not getting enough power then tell the customer they have to buy a higher one  because they dont cover this problem what a rippoff ive had 3 dell xps computers and all have same prob cause dell puts high end parts with low power supply and i dont care what they do to items they still need alot of power and the basic xps systems require more ive been through every troubleshooting technique with probly every dell tech luckly for me im returning computer for refund but ppl must know this  go to computer store with computer specs from dell  and ask them if they have everything they need to run smoothly including a high enough power supply before buying dont make my mistake and spend ten months paying interest and fees just to have to recover every 2 days and crashing cmos error in f2(bios load up can be syptoms of too low power supply)also windows not function right like freezing and programs stop interacting with windows when in doubt you can always get a second opinion without ruining warenty as long as the opinion doesnt do ant thing but give you advice which u can forward to dell i currently have had to xps 420 and a 430 and all have same prob so please read and take into consideration do research

0 Kudos
fuzznose
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 420 change power supply

So, where is the reset switch?  I haven't found one on the power supply, the case, or anywhere else on my XPS 420.  

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

RE: XPS 420 change power supply

fuzznose

The XPS 420 does not have a 'reset switch'.

Also, as this thread is six years+ old, it has been locked, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos