Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2008 20:00

XPS 420 change power supply

Dear All, Yesterday, I changed power supply for my XPS 420. The new one is SU RAIDMAX|RX-530SS 530W RT and the old one is 375W. After I turned it on, everything worked well. But I didn't turn it on for a long time. Do I have any missing points to replace a power supply? I just changed it without checking anything else. If I have to check it before I replace it, please let me know. Thanks,

14 Posts

February 8th, 2008 23:00

i wonder id dell only carries one 425watt model for the XPS 420...???cuz the HIGH PITCH NOISE is really annoying...even the one they sent me brand new does the same thing.....grrrrrrrr

14 Posts

February 9th, 2008 21:00

OK I took a chance..with no success with the replacments power supplys from DELL the 425watt..with the HIGH PITCH NOISE..i went ahead and took it out and put in a CORSAIR HX520WATT Modular power supply..now yes it was a little bit smaller then the dell power supply so i did have to make a few adjustments in the case..but it only took me like 15 minutes to install it..i turned to computer on and WOW TOTAL SILENCE..no more HIGH PITCH NOISE...anyway the Corsair power supply is working awesome now....plus it has a 120mm fan to keep the computer even cooler....just thought i would anybody else know thats having this same problem........:smileywink:

April 7th, 2008 19:00

grprixgt97: Sorry to revive an old thread, but I think this is a great idea, warranty problems aside. That Corsair PSU is excellent. Would you mind explaining the adjustments you had to make in the case in order to install and run the HX520?:robottongue:

14 Posts

April 7th, 2008 20:00

pretty much the 4 screws hold it in the case..the only thing i had to adjust was..where the plug .plugs into..there are some little small metal..almsot looks like little clips..i just bent them back with a needle nose plier..and it fit great..when you put the power supply in you will notice that the cap where the power cord plugs into doesnt fit perfect..those little metal clips just bend them back and it will then fit..heck you might not even have that problem...anyway the 4 screws on the back are what is keeping the power supply in the case...doesnt move and is very snugg..havent had any problems what so ever..im very glad i did this...i hope this helps.....just make sure you tighten those 4 screws tight :)

April 8th, 2008 01:00

Thanks! That's an excellent upgrade. probably allows for a little neater cabling. And you could run a 9800GTX with no worries. Later in the year you'll probably be able to upgrade to the new nvidia series high end card (as long as it exhausts heat well). Upgrading processor and adding drives will be no problem. Really, I think the PSU might be the biggest bottleneck to upgrades on the 420. I suppose the cooling system might be the next thing to attack after that.

5 Posts

July 8th, 2008 06:00

I put in an antec earthwatts 650 and it fit just about like yours did.  The cabling isn't as neat as yours, but with

cable ties i managed to get it looking ok.

wes

12.1K Posts

July 8th, 2008 16:00

Noob, here you go again posting on a three month old thread.  Is there something that compels you to waste your time for those that may never see this ?

5 Posts

July 8th, 2008 17:00

Because there is a dearth of information about power supplies that work.  I started my own thread, but am also adding my info to threads that have info about psu replacements because if you come here and use the search function these are the threads that show up.  someone who wants the info will stumble across it. 

1.4K Posts

July 8th, 2008 18:00

@cancerx wrote:

Because there is a dearth of information about power supplies that work.  I started my own thread, but am also adding my info to threads that have info about psu replacements because if you come here and use the search function these are the threads that show up.  someone who wants the info will stumble across it. 

You're very first post would show up in the search, no need to spam the boards with the info by posting in 3 or 4 month old threads.

1 Message

April 20th, 2009 20:00

dell should support either if either came from dell considering they made a huge mistake in xps line computer puting lowe power supplys  in them then not telling customers only to have them find out when theyre computer crashes constantly from not getting enough power then tell the customer they have to buy a higher one  because they dont cover this problem what a rippoff ive had 3 dell xps computers and all have same prob cause dell puts high end parts with low power supply and i dont care what they do to items they still need alot of power and the basic xps systems require more ive been through every troubleshooting technique with probly every dell tech luckly for me im returning computer for refund but ppl must know this  go to computer store with computer specs from dell  and ask them if they have everything they need to run smoothly including a high enough power supply before buying dont make my mistake and spend ten months paying interest and fees just to have to recover every 2 days and crashing cmos error in f2(bios load up can be syptoms of too low power supply)also windows not function right like freezing and programs stop interacting with windows when in doubt you can always get a second opinion without ruining warenty as long as the opinion doesnt do ant thing but give you advice which u can forward to dell i currently have had to xps 420 and a 430 and all have same prob so please read and take into consideration do research

4 Posts

March 16th, 2014 09:00

So, where is the reset switch?  I haven't found one on the power supply, the case, or anywhere else on my XPS 420.  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 16th, 2014 11:00

fuzznose

The XPS 420 does not have a 'reset switch'.

Also, as this thread is six years+ old, it has been locked, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!