Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

February 10th, 2009 13:00

XPS 420 running really slow.

I bought and XPS 420 last summer with 4gigs ram, 500 gig hard drive, Q6600 processor, and vista 32 bit. I really enjoyed the computer for internet browsing, gaming, and video gaming until about two days ago. Where it would normally take about a minute to start the computer up and have it log in it takes 3-5 now. I haven't installed any new programs but I did recently import a lot of videos from my camera.

My first thought was to defrag. I've done this multiple times now with no luck. I've also considered maybe its a virus. I've run multiple scans with McAfee and Avast to find nothing. I have no idea what's wrong and if anyone could help me it would be great. I'm hoping I can find a solution other then formatting the hard drive and starting fresh.

14.4K Posts

February 10th, 2009 14:00

how full is your harddrive?

You might want to look at a program called CCleaner to help trim a lot of the excess fat out of your system from junk files and such,

14.4K Posts

that is definatly plenty.

It could be something in your statup pick up a copy of Autoruns and go through that to look at all the stuff that loads on start up.

also you can check your event viewer for any reasons for the long boot up times Right click on my computer and select manage on the pop up window select the even viewer listing

799 Posts

Hello xpsruler, I also have an XPS 420 and it boots to the desktop in about one minute but takes another 30-40 seconds to load McAfee and be able to use the system.

Long boot times, as you suggest, may indicate the OS is searching for something, and failing to find it, continues to boot.

I would check the Device Manager and make sure there are no driver issues showing.

If all else fails, you can do a Dell Recovery Restore that would put your system back to the state as it was shipped.

I used the Dell Recovery Restore Utility several times and concluded it was corrupt so I did a reformat and fresh install.

This takes quite a long time, so I would try the Dell Recovery Restore first, before the reformat and fresh install.

You would need to backup all those photos and other data that you may have added since you started using the system.

I have had this system since January 2008 and re-installed the OS and all my applications probably 25 times in the past year.

This seems to be a common issue with XPS 420 users.

Hope this helps.

103 Posts

i have 274 gigs free

137 Posts

February 11th, 2009 04:00

Did you're system load any Windows updates recently? One added nearly a minute on to my XPS420s boot time a while back.

1.1K Posts

February 11th, 2009 05:00

I own two 420s and have had them since November of 2007...both are running just as well as the first day I got them.

Here's the stuff I have done, and maybe this is why mine are running smoothly.

I have installed all the updates, so I am not sure if that's it.  I am using the NVIDIA drivers for my video cards, not the Dell drivers.  I have updated to BIOS version 4, I believe it is.  I have gone under and stopped many startup and services from loading upon bootup...there were many I didn't need like the INTEL VIVV and stuff like that.  I do NOT use Mcafee, but rather AVG free edition.  I have defrag set to run automatically every week.  Never even know it's running.  Use CCleaner to clean up junk files, occassionally I'll free up space by deleting older restore points.  But I have 194 and 296Gigs free so that really isn't a problem.

I have disabled WMP from the Miniview, as that sometimes caused poor playback and slow load times.  I open the cases and have cleaned out the insides with compressed air probably 7 or 8 times since I purchased them.  I don't do it every month, but usually every 1 1/2 to 2 months. 

I don't update drivers for video or sound until they have been out for a few months, then I read comments to see if people are having problems with them.  If no problems, then I'll update.

I run a full Malwarebytes scan 1 time a month checking for malware, and usually a quick scan once a week. 

That's about what it for me.  And as I said, bootup is usually 1 minute or so...that's from the start to a usable desktop.  I mean it might still be loading some stuff, but at least it's usable.

799 Posts

February 11th, 2009 10:00

I have updated to BIOS version 4, I believe it is.

The latest BIOS version for the XPS 420 is A06.

I had several issue with the A04 and the A06 resolved them.

Hope this helps

1.1K Posts

February 11th, 2009 10:00

I don't know now, what version I have.  I thought it was four, as I usually only update if they are urgent (especially now I am out of warranty and do not wish to bork something and have to pay), but I don't see a version 5, but I could have sworn I updated them last summer, which makes them version 6.  Ah, I have no idea.  I thought 6 was urgent!  Man, I am totally lost.

799 Posts

February 11th, 2009 12:00

I don't know now, what version I have.  I thought it was four, as I usually only update if they are urgent (especially now I am out of warranty and do not wish to bork something and have to pay), but I don't see a version 5, but I could have sworn I updated them last summer, which makes them version 6.  Ah, I have no idea.  I thought 6 was urgent!  Man, I am totally lost.

Hello eskymi,  HERE  is a link to the XPS 420 A06 BIOS. Dell didin't release an A05 BIOS version.

You can just download it and save it to the desktop. Close out from the Dell site and back to your desktop.

There, you should see a desktop icon of the A06 BIOS.

Just doubleclick on the icon, and the BIOS update will start. The system will shut down and the BIOS update will proceed and finish in just a minute or so, reboot and boot to your desktop.

The only thing to remember here is that if you have made any changes to your system BIOS setup, they will be changed to the default settings.

If this happens to be the case, you would need to enter the BIOS and make the needed changes to reflect how the previous BIOS version was.

Most of the time no changes have been made by the user, so this probably want be neccessary.

Hope this helps.

103 Posts

February 11th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the quick response. I think I might try that. Just a couple of questions though.

• How long does it take?
  • I have a driver disc and an os disc that came with my computer. Could you give me the steps to formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the os?
  • Do I have to update the bios to A06? I would prefer not to due to the fact that flashing the bios is a bit risky in my opinion.

799 Posts

Hello xpsruler, Sometimes nothing is better than a fresh install.

You could do the Dell Recovery Restore or just do a reformat and fresh install with the Dell OS and application disk.

I have used the Dell Recovery Restore and have not been as happy as the fresh install approach.

This does take a lot longer and you will have to install all the drivers, and Windows updates after the fresh install.

If you have no hardware issues, you will see a substantial improvement in boot times and performance.

I would make sure I had the A06 BIOS update first, before I attempted this.

Don't forget to backup your videos and photos and any other data before you do this.

Just some thoughts.

103 Posts

Still haven't figured it out. It works and all but is tremendously slow. I've defragged it again and removed a gig and a half of temp files with ccleaner. What's your guy's opinion on formatting and starting over? All I have that I'd need to back up are my videos I've made. I can always reinstall my apps. Would this work?

137 Posts

February 12th, 2009 00:00

Before you do a complete restore you may want to take an image of your PC (A complete copy of your Hard Disc) in case you reinstall and can't get something important working. Personally I swear by Acronis true image for imaging. I regularly create images that I store on an external disc. Before you do a reinstall, make note of all of your email account and messanger settings, things like pop3 addresses and saved passwrds, also back up your internet favorites. A lot of people tend to forget about this kind of thing.
No Events found!