Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2008 20:00

XPS 420 upgraded cpu vista will not boot past post

another nightmare, I have upgraded my cpu on the xps 420 and it booted up ok after the first time I upgraded cpu, I also upgraded the graphics card and then added the latest drivers from nvidia website, I then though that I had not applied enough thermal paste so cleaned the cpu and took it off and the reseated the cpu back, then the nightmare of windows vista just goes to the post screen with the green bar at the bottom and the bar only moves slightly and the screen goes blank and I see the blue screen but cannot amke out the information as it restarts immedietly, it then gives me an option of recovery or normal mode, if I click on normal mode it does the same, if I click on the repair it loads up and gives a few options like repair which it does and the states that windows could not fine any probs, I have also used the restore  but to no avail, I have also tries this repair from the dell vista cd, and when I goto repair it does the same stating windows cannot repair as no problems have been found, I can see everythig on my hard drive inc all programs etc when I click on the backup option on this and also x drive (which aprt from the dvd and the c drive is also there) I have chkdsk/r but nothing it still does the same thing, I have then changed the cpu to the same one and also the graphics card to the 2400 pro but still exactly the same, I donot want to reformat the drive as I have vast amount of updates I had loaded from microsoft and also a lot of work, is there any help on this, I have also taken the drive out and added a new drive and installed vista no probs, it is working, please could any one help on how to fix the first drive without reinstalling windows vista. I have also done all the diagnostics etc for the whole system tand everything is in working order inc memory which I have downgarded to 2 gig

Dell XPS 420

QX6800

8800 ultra superclocked

corsair HX520 PSU

crucial 4 GB memory

500GB hard drive

BIOS A06

windows vista ultimate

14 Posts

September 30th, 2008 21:00

I have F2 and also see that that everything is ok and also resetted cmos etc, basically done everything, but the vista does not go past post, you can see the green light for a second then blank and then the blue screen and then it restarts, is there any remedy to samy my windows vista apart from a fresh install as I have a lot of work on it also I used mx2 and nothing was effected as it only covers cpu so it is defo not that
Message Edited by robbieuk on 09-30-2008 05:41 PM

213 Posts

September 30th, 2008 21:00

Anytime hardware is added or removed in the computer, the BIOS need to be updated, usually by pressing F2. Any additional settings, clock speed, and whatnot need to be set in the BIOS, first.

The BIOS is like a brain of sorts, in telling how the components are to be used in computer system.

With RAM, usually all that is needed is to open the BIOS, see that the RAM is indeed loaded, save and then exit.

With hardware changing, especially CPU, correct parameters needs to be entered for the new CPU.

If you have used Arctic Silver, make sure there is no residue that had gotten pushed out and on the motherboard. This compound is conductive and can short out if touching the motherboard.

In fact any thermal compound should never be touching the motherboard. Power the system off, and use a Q-tip with 50% alcohol solution to clean up any thermal compound that may be exposed.

89 Posts

October 1st, 2008 15:00

Hey,

can you please post the blue screen error code?

looks like 0x000 ect.

would help to find out what issues vista have.

cu

dschieses

89 Posts

October 1st, 2008 18:00

Hey,

try to boot vista in save mode,

delete all drivers related to the 88ultra and all n-tune software as well

best is to use drivercleaner or simliar.

restart vista and install the drivers again.

if this will not help give me a few minutes to check my own xps :-)

got nearly the same issues with my 8800GTX but not sure what was the final fix :-)

cu

dschieses

p.s. check all cables to the videocard as well and that the card is well locked in the pcie port.

14 Posts

October 1st, 2008 18:00

Hi the blue screen is there for a second basically I just get a blue sceen flash, I can see some writing on it, but it restarts immedietly co I cannot view it quick enough, is there any other way I can see what is written on the blue screen?

14 Posts

October 1st, 2008 19:00

vista will not boot into safe mode, it goes past bios and then soon as it enters the post screen where the green bar starts to move but it only moves a fraction and then screen goes blank and then the a quick flash of the blue screen and then it restarts giving the option of starting in normal mode or repair, I have tried many times to boot it back from normal mode but it does exactly the same and if you goto the repair mode it starts repair and then states that no problems can be found, I have tiresd to restore it to earlier time but still the same as well, at the moment I have installed vista on another hard drive and running it from there with an ati radeon 2400 card, it is wroking fine but I want to save my other hard drive instead of reformating it, please help

89 Posts

October 1st, 2008 20:00

ok try following steps:

1. boot and press after the dell logo many times F8

2. blackscreen comes on, you choose safe mode only, there are other options but choose the first safe mode only!

3. Windows starts without the most drivers so you will have a poor grafik and maybe no internet but its ok

4. uninstall all ati and nvidia software 

5. restart windows and check if all working as before

6. install nvidia drivers again

this should fix it.

remember to press often F8 while booting

cu

dschieses

89 Posts

October 1st, 2008 21:00

Hey,

now its going a little bit more complicated...

i know that the stop code 0x07b means inacsessible boot device

means no boot from this hdd possible.

can be an issue with the MBR.

did you try the "fix mbr" option?

cu

dschieses

89 Posts

and i forgott,

try this

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B927391&x=9&y=13

hope will work out for you :-)

cu

dschieses

14 Posts

Hi just got round to trying the f8 and yes it does give options for safe mode but it only loads up so much and then same thing happens again and it restarts automatically, also manage to get the blue screen error codes they are STOP: 0X0000007B, 0X30399BBO, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

Is there anything that you can make from this info

89 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 12:00

did you have a raid system running?

14 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 12:00

I have tried to do what it says on the microsoft page but when I type fixboot or fixmbr I get command not recognised internally or externally so looks like no joy and it is driving me crazy, also I think this happened when I loaded the new intel x38 from the download page as I get a mesage with intel matrix etc after prost bios page and then then the widows load page with no green bar and just restarts

14 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 13:00

Hi no it was just one drive, but in bios it does state raid on and if I click on the other tab where it states raid ata etc, but it states warning operating sytem may not work and factory setting is on so I left it, as another dive is in the system as I ahve removed the sata and power connector from the other drive and connected to a different drive and loaded vista which is working fine but want to save the other drive

89 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 13:00

Hey,

install the latest Bios update A06, if you have connected a external esata hdd disconnect it and try again.

cu

dschieses

14 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 14:00

latest bios was installed A06 last month and there is no other sata drives apart from the dvd rw and hard drive which is seen under the sata 0 in bios , the only thing  last I updated was the x38 latest chipset drivers, and then the intel matrix which did not come on before and has only just come on after the downlaod of the latest chipset driver after the bios screen now appear prior to window loading, so I get the A06 and dell screen first, then at the top I get the intel matrix thing then it goes blank and then I get the windows screen with no green bar and it restarts,
No Events found!