Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2011 14:00

XPS 420 upgraded to 6870 now cpu running 98 degrees

I have a Dell XPS 420 Q6600 (stock) 4GB with 4x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB internal Hard Drives, a few external USB devices (all powered) + a Xenta 80plus Certified 800W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU which was running a XFX HD4770 connected to a 24" DVI monitor + Samsung 42" Plasma just fine.

I've just upgraded my graphics card in to a XFX HD6870 (hd-687a-zddc). I upgraded as I want to add another 42" LCD HDTV in the bedroom to the setup & the card has a good cooling system from what I understand. Now as soon as I installed the new card, I noticed the CPU fan noise was going crazy in what is normally a very quiet setup so I checked the temps & found the CPU is now running @ a constant 91 degrees & the card @ 59 degrees under normal load. Can anyone recommend some extra cooling that would fit on the XPS x38 BTX motherboard to bring the temperatures and fan noise down? I have been offered a XPS 430 barebones which has a x48 motherboard as opposed to my current x38, does this case/board config have better cooling/noise prospects for the above system spec?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tia

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 18th, 2011 16:00

Is the new card causing it or perhaps you disturbed the CPU heatsink and it's now overheating?   Put the HD4770 back in and see if the CPU is still overheating, that will tell you if it's the new video card or some other problem that just happened when you swapped video cards.

If it's still overheating with the old video card, the first suggestion is to replace the heatsink compound for the CPU.  Clean off the old compound from the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU and apply "Arctic Silver" heatsink compound (what most techies use as it has superior heat transfer).

9 Posts

October 30th, 2011 03:00

Thanks all I can say is Artic Silver 5 "ROCKS"

No Events found!