quisquose
1 Copper

XPS 430 Startup Problem

Hi, new XPS 430 arrived a few weeks back. Installed all my programs, music, photos etc no problem.

Today decided to set up the Media Center and connected the cable box per the instructions, and then went to the final setup stage. During the setup Media Center said it needed to shut down, and it certainly did ... taking my pc with it.

I was left with the flashing orange/yellow power button of death. Nothing would get rid of it until I unplugged the cable box video/audio wires and then was relieved to see the blue power light return.

The relief was shortlived. I am getting the Dell startup, but then nothing ... a totally blank screen. Now and again I get the screen saying "Windows did not shutdown properly" with the repair option, but when I choose this I still get a blank screen.

I'm suspecting something wrong with the video card Has anybody any suggestions? This problem almost had me in tears earlier, and I'm a 45 year old man!!!

TIA

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: XPS 430 Startup Problem

Welcome to the forums emoticon.Yes.title

First of all, let's try and get your system up and running again, then we can try and tackle the cable box issue.

You need to get into Safe Mode - which is usually accessed by continually pressing F8, to get into the menu options?

Choose Safe Mode - with Networking.

Hopefully, the system will boot to the desktop, after which you'll need to try a System Restore?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
quisquose
1 Copper

Re: XPS 430 Startup Problem

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've given up on the idea of setting this up as a PVR now to be honest, I'm going to buy a Humax box instead.

I just want my pc up and running again, and my files back.

Tried the F8 Safe Mode, but that just takes me to a screen with multi-coloured vertical lines that make your eyes go funny. Now when I switch on I either get a blank screen, or the fan whirring very loud.

I suspect this machine is terminal to be honest. 😞

0 Kudos