R R Kirsteins
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 435 Owners Thread

Hey COLORADO HOME,

I forgot to specify how dell removed old drivers.

Control panel / programs-add and remove

Remove CCC (ATI catalyst control center)

if it's not there it never installed properly.............

Close those screens down ans right click "MY computer" icon on desktop / properties at bottom /  top left click device manager / give windows permission / display adapters / choose yours / right click / click uninstall and follow directions to uninstall ....................

re-start and go to ati support for new drivers or dell support, your choice. I'd go with dell unless you have problems..................Raymond

0 Kudos
ispalten
2 Iron

I got a new 435 Wed. and I was supposed to arrive 6/04, was ordered on 5/2...

[quote user="DELL-Chris M"]

rettenhu,

Disconnect all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard. If it boots up faster, then some USB device is hanging on boot.

Chris,

The only other USB device besides keyboard/mouse was a printer.  I disconnected it and that did not alter the boot time.  However, I have been doing repetitive "Restarts" for the past half hour or so and on a couple of occasions the boot has been really quick.  In general, I have been experiencing a "black screen" that lasts for anywhere between 45 seconds and 1 minute and 15 seconds.  Here's the sequence of what I see...  System boots and Dell Splash screen displays followed by the Microsoft logo and about 5 sweeps thru the progress bar.  The screen then goes blank for about 10-15 seconds and the DVI connector symbol displays in the top left hand corner of the screen.  Then 20 seconds later a mouse pointer appears on the screen.  20 seconds after that the Vista Logon screen finally displays.  On a couple of rare instances when I did get a fast boot, the cursor displayed immediately after the DVI connector displayed and the Vista logon screen displayed immediately after that.  You could be right about a USB hangup, but I have seen the long boot time even after a full power down and reboot.  Any more suggestions would be welcome...  Thanks!

[/quote]

I've got the same situation you do. Slow booting. Dell screen is slow to move across the bar area. Stops a few times.

Windows booting gives me long periods of black screens and mouse pointers.

The is a I7 920, 8GB's of RAM, 4870 1GB video card, 750GB drive and a DVD and DVD R/W. Connected via wire to router.

I've been adding s/w and replaced the mouse and keyboard with the MX5500. They couldn't put it in the configuration so I had to buy it separately and install it myself.

MS Flight Simulator FX is STUNNING on this machine!

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
ispalten
2 Iron

I've got the same situation you do. Slow booting. Dell screen is slow to move across the bar area. Stops a few times.

Windows booting gives me long periods of black screens and mouse pointers.

The is a I7 920, 8GB's of RAM, 4870 1GB video card, 750GB drive and a DVD and DVD R/W. Connected via wire to router.

I've been able to get a significant boost in boot speed. System Retore was taking a restore point on every boot. I disabled that and the booting now is very fast.

Irv S,

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
R R Kirsteins
1 Nickel

Hey Irv,

Did you shut off system restore entirely or just disable the boot restore point. If it's the second choice, tell us how?

Raymond

0 Kudos
kskreider
1 Copper

Hi folks,

I just got my 435MT on Friday.  Has anyone tried to downgrade it from VIsta to XP x64?  I'd like to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture but not use Vista.  I am having a hard tmie figuring out what LAN driver I should be using.

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos
i-vol
2 Iron

I'd like to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture but not use Vista.

Vista 64 runs like a dream on this machine and although a Vista naysayer since the original release, have to say it's finally hit its stride right before ye olde Windows 7's release ironically enough.  With some tweaking, something required of every windows version, Vista 64 SP1 is a pleasure to use and released from its memory and resource shackles with 6GB and up, mated with the Core i7 and a proper video card, it's kudos for an aesthetic and functional upgrade over XP.  I'll never go back to XP, only moving forward to 7 when the SP1 rolls around down the line. 

If really needing XP, I would go with a dual boot solution although realize you are itching for XP 64.

435MT  i7 920 • 6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel • 1.28TB 2x640GB ~ RAID 0 • 1TB WD eSATA|500GB USB
             ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
• 2 x DVD+/-RW • 24" HP w2408h HDMI @ 1920 x 1200
             435MT|435T Manual/Downloads/RAM Info 
•  System Performance Monitoring

0 Kudos
ispalten
2 Iron

Ray,

Hey Irv,

Did you shut off system restore entirely or just disable the boot restore point. If it's the second choice, tell us how?

Raymond

I went to the Task Scheduler and found the SR task. Rather than DELETE it I changed it to occur ONCE a week at a specific time. I think SR normally is either automatic or called by programs that install to the system?

Like I said, once turned off on boot the boot up time was decreased significantly.

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
zerinSSL
1 Nickel

As you'll soon find out...good luck finding the correct XP64 drivers for the NIC and MOBO.  I went down this road a couple of weeks ago and I gave up after 4 hours of headaches.  I finally gave in to Vista 64 and learned to use it, tweak it and like it.  I can't say I love it because that's reserved for Windows 7, however Vista 64 works very well.   

Hi folks,

I just got my 435MT on Friday.  Has anyone tried to downgrade it from VIsta to XP x64?  I'd like to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture but not use Vista.  I am having a hard tmie figuring out what LAN driver I should be using.

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos
kskreider
1 Copper

I figured it out.  It took a few calls to get TS to tell me what the onboard Intel LAN set was.  (Intel 82567LF Gigabit Ethernet) 

Once I had the info I was able to download a generic XP x64 driver directly from Intel.  From there it is mostly updating x46 to SP2 and rolling in updates.  I can't install ATI Catalyst until I have updated .NET framework in place.  I'll report back if there is interest.

Here I am posting from my 435MT running XP x64.

0 Kudos
i-vol
2 Iron

So far, no reason or explanation for having to go XP64 but  guess it's good you found it.   Guessing you had some important reason.  I was unable to locate one.

435MT  i7 920 • 6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel • 1.28TB 2x640GB ~ RAID 0 • 1TB WD eSATA|500GB USB
             ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
• 2 x DVD+/-RW • 24" HP w2408h HDMI @ 1920 x 1200
             435MT|435T Manual/Downloads/RAM Info 
•  System Performance Monitoring

0 Kudos