8 Krypton

Re: XPS 435 Owners Thread

[quote user="brookefox"]OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

Problem with this is it's actually rated at a stock 1.65v for these specs.  The ram I quoted was rated to run the specs at 1.5v, which is what the 435 series runs.  I'm sure of the MT running the ram at a stock 1.5v and almost sure the T is 1.5v as well. 

[/quote]

Right, but I keep seeing different numbers from different places on the same parts. At OCZ, all three are 1.65V (or 1.6V* or 1.65EVP*).

Thanks.

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Intel Core i7 Edition / XMP Ready Series / 3GB and 6GB Triple Channel Kits
Designed specifically for the Intel® X58 chipset / Core i7  
XMP Profile 1: 1333MHz 8-8-8-20 1.6*  
XMP Profile 2: 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 1.6V*  
Available 3GB and 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Unbuffered  
XTC Heatspreader**  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65V EVP**  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
3GB (3x1024MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3X1333LV3GK
6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3X1333LV6GK

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz / Platinum XTC / Triple Channel Kits / 6GB
The OCZ PC3-10666 triple-channel memory kit is designed specifically for the Intel® Core™ i7 processor / Intel® X58 Express Chipset.
1333MHz DDR3  CL 7-7-7-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)  
Available in 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Platinum Z3
XTC Heatspreader*  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65 Volts  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3P1333LVA6GK

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz /Gold XTC / Triple Channel Kits / 3GB - 6GB - 12GB
The OCZ PC3-10666 triple-channel memory kit is designed specifically for the Intel® Core™ i7 processor / Intel® X58 Express Chipset
1333MHz DDR3  CL 9-9-9-20 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)  
Available in 3GB, 6GB, and 12GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Gold Z3 XTC Heatspreader**  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65 Volts  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
3GB (3x1024MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV3GK  6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV6GK  12GB (6x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV12GS

Dell XPS 8700
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3
two Dell U2415 monitors
Windows 10 (64Bit)

OLD system info: Dell XPS Studio 435T

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

CPU-Z reports 7-7-7-20 on my system.

0 Kudos
R R Kirsteins
Not applicable

Hey colorado and kate,

Other than CCC start error, I did not have problems until I downloaded new bios and updates from dell support. Sounds like your problems came from the factory and the unit never worked good........................Raymond

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

CPU-Z reports 7-7-7-20 on my system.

My remarkable sniffing surmises you would be running your X chips under profile 2.

But I guess I gotta pull the trigger. on the P's.

Dell XPS 8700
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3
two Dell U2415 monitors
Windows 10 (64Bit)

OLD system info: Dell XPS Studio 435T

0 Kudos
jmlowman
Not applicable

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I ran into a couple of issues regarding expandability of the 435.  Other than these, I'm quite happy with the performance of my new desktop.

First, I ordered a 500 GB hard drive to augment the 750 GB HD that was stock.  When it arrived, there was no SATA cable or mounting screws.  I looked at the specs and found nothing to indicate that it was an OEM model.

Also, I had bought an ASUS XONAR Excellence sound card, only to find out later that there was no 4-pin power plug available, and that only two sound cards, both by Creative, are compatible with this model of Dell desktop.  So I had to return the ASUS card and pay a $30 restocking fee and $7 for shipping.  Now I have a Creative SB Fatal1ty card that works fine.

As to these problems, I'll take part of the hit for not asking first, but I made it clear to the support representative on chat that it was to be a second hard drive.  Perhaps if support were being handled from an English-speaking country (like the US!) the rep. would have picked up on that nuance and told me that I'd need to order mounting screws and a SATA cable.

As to the incompatibility of the sound card, isn't PCIe a standard?  Shouldn't any PCIe-compliant device work?

Thanks for the benefit of anyone's experience in these areas, and hopefully someone can learn from my experience.

Jim

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jim,

No drives come with SATA cables bundled within the box, and there are spare mounting screws included for you to use when you open the case...just look around the drive cage and you'll see them. 

As to these problems, I'll take part of the hit for not asking first, but I made it clear to the support representative on chat that it was to be a second hard drive.  Perhaps if support were being handled from an English-speaking country (like the US!) the rep. would have picked up on that nuance and told me that I'd need to order mounting screws and a SATA cable.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Napageo,

I believe if you move the stick in slot 3 to slot 6, your have 8GB triple channel, according to this source:

http://icrontic.com/articles/what-is-tri-channel-memory

I have done this and CPU-Z says triple channel.

Yup, did just that, CPU-Z now says TRIPLE.

Found the Dell Service manual on-line (they used to put this in the box...) and it too says ORANGE slots first and then the BLUE, the second closest to the processor, which is Slot1. Slots from the processor are numbered 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, with the first 3 to be populated as 1, 3, and 5 (orange). The numbering change threw me off there, but the picture made it cleared. The slot 3 you mentioned is really slot 4 by the manual and slot 6 as you called it is slot 5.

The page you referenced is correct, but it is misleading in that one would think DIMM#1 should be filled before DIMM#2. Who thought up this numbering arrangement.

Anyway, thanks, I'm 'up to speed' now. Why Dell shipped it DUAL is beyond me?

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
jmlowman
Not applicable

Thanks, Zerin.  I can appreciate that the SATA cable isn't included, since not everyone will want to add a second hard drive.  The PCIe thing still baffles me, though.

I didn't see any spare screws.  At any rate, I would have expected them to be located where the second HD would mount.  It's days like these that I really miss having CompUSA and Circuit City in town.  Newegg is good, and I can get delivery generally in 1-2 business days, but I'm like a kid with a new toy.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

JM,

Thanks, Zerin.  I can appreciate that the SATA cable isn't included, since not everyone will want to add a second hard drive.  The PCIe thing still baffles me, though.

I didn't see any spare screws.  At any rate, I would have expected them to be located where the second HD would mount.  It's days like these that I really miss having CompUSA and Circuit City in town.  Newegg is good, and I can get delivery generally in 1-2 business days, but I'm like a kid with a new toy.

I just added a 2nd drive. Got it at Office Depot, see http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?fkey=wViTifnL4wgDnBtX2mJoivX&cbxRefine=314878&N=5+9988&Ntt=&Ns=&Ntk=&Ntx=&Nty= and it includes the SATA cable as well as screws and power supply cable. It was on sale last week for $10 less and my local store had it in stock.

There ARE screws in the case, at least mine had it. Right above the disk cage, on the removeable cage are 8 extra screws. 4 black for the removable area and 4 'silver' for the drives. It seems only one side of the drive needs to be *** in and I used 2 of the 4 'silver' screws and the drive is rigid and secure.

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LathropDave
Not applicable

I got my 435t about 3 weeks ago. It took almost a month to get it. Right out of the box I too encountered freezes and lockups. I reimaged it from the factory image on the D drive and got the same results within a couple of days. My profile would load and then it would hang for about 5 minutes. So I rebuilt it from scratch using the cd's that came with it and not using Dell's image. Haven't had a problem since.  Have the 4870 card with 1gb on it and 6gb in the box.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos