Smoothieboy
2 Iron

Re: XPS 435 Owners Thread

[quote user="rettenhu"]For other who have expereinced the slow boot, you may want to bite the bullet too and try for a clean install from the Vista CD. 

I generally love doing clean installs to get everything running quickly and smoothly again, I probably did close to a dozen in the six years I owned my Dimension 8300.  May have to bite that bullet too like yourself and do one on this 435MT though, the slow reboots are something I am not used to and cannot get used to......plus I've been having icon problems (wrong icons shown for specific file extensions) that I've fixed but still not happy with the quirkiness.  Also the inablity to uninstall CCC in the traditional method through the control panel is an annoyance.  The only thing delaying me from the clean install is that I've spent a month getting this thing loaded up with all of my "stuff" and configured the way I like it.  Thus I haven't been whining about the reboot problem lately, especially since a simple clean install from the cd/dvd seems like it might be the silver bullet.  BTW,thanks for the info and follow-up rettenhu.

[/quote]

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet and doing a clean install. My boot times with Vista 64-bit on the 435T have varied from 60 seconds to almost 3 minutes, and I'm not using the illuminated keyboard which some have found to cause a slow boot. My Dell laptop, running Vista 32-bit, boots in 40 seconds.

0 Kudos
FaceHeadMan
1 Copper

Hi everybody,

Just got my 435T today, it's still in the box and I won't have time to set it up for a couple of days...  Seems to me that a few people have solved many of the boot/stability issues by reinstalling the OS from the Vista DVD instead of the Dell partition.  Do you guys think it would be wise to just go ahead and do this from the beginning?  I know I'll lose all of the drivers, but I should be able to find them all online somewhere, correct?  I've wiped and reinstalled XP many times on my Dimension 8300; is the process similar in Vista?  Also, if I decide to do this, should I just get rid of the Dell partition altogether?

So many questions... Here is what I got:

Core i7 920

6GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4870 1GB

No soundcard, no WLAN

2x640GB RAID 0

I also ordered the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse to use media center from my couch (I'm lazy).  Has anyone had any boot issues with this combination?  Thanks for your help guys, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this thing can do!

0 Kudos
jjon90
2 Iron

Do you guys think it would be wise to just go ahead and do this from the beginning?  I know I'll lose all of the drivers, but I should be able to find them all online somewhere, correct? 

Face,

I have a somewhat simular configuration and I had no problems till I updated the video driver from the ATI website. I restored it to the date just before I installed the updated video driver and it is running fine!  I have not had to use my Disks!  I would give it a go and see how it runs "as is" You can always do a reinstall if it does give you problems.

0 Kudos
rettenhu
2 Iron

Hi everybody,

Just got my 435T today, it's still in the box and I won't have time to set it up for a couple of days...  Seems to me that a few people have solved many of the boot/stability issues by reinstalling the OS from the Vista DVD instead of the Dell partition.  Do you guys think it would be wise to just go ahead and do this from the beginning?  I know I'll lose all of the drivers, but I should be able to find them all online somewhere, correct?  I've wiped and reinstalled XP many times on my Dimension 8300; is the process similar in Vista?  Also, if I decide to do this, should I just get rid of the Dell partition altogether?

So many questions... Here is what I got:

Core i7 920

6GB RAM

ATI Radeon 4870 1GB

No soundcard, no WLAN

2x640GB RAID 0

I also ordered the logitech wireless keyboard and mouse to use media center from my couch (I'm lazy).  Has anyone had any boot issues with this combination?  Thanks for your help guys, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this thing can do!

I agree wih jjon90 that you shouldn't do the reinstall right away.  Give it some time and see how it goes.  And, yes, you can get all the latst drivers from the Dell website.  In my case, I started out using he Dell supplied applications and drivers disc.  I was fortunae because it had th same driver versions that were on the site, so I felt that using the CD was simpler.  I did NOT load the ATI driver or Catalyst Control Center from Dell.  I got those from the AMD site directly.  Seems like the ATI software is also a common thread in the slow boot/hang issues that some have experienced.  Good luck and keep us posted on your experience...

Studio XPS 435T    i7 920 2.67Mhz •  6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel  •  640GB SATA • ATI Radeon 4870 1024MB   • 16x DVD+/-RW 2408 WFP DVI @1920 x 1200 • STD USB Keyboard & Laser Mouse • Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

0 Kudos
zerinSSL
1 Nickel

Uhm, hate to break it to you but you should read up on what RAID is.  RAID requires 2 or more drives, period.  You can't create a Redundant Array of Independant Disks if there are no independant disks.  Your one hard disk system may have been capable of RAID however it was NOT running in RAID.

i dont know if thats all true or not,i had an emachine t5224 and it was set up for raid with only 1 hard drive from the factory,one day i did a clean install

and did a test run with the raid setting then reinstalled again with ahci and it was ALOT slower with the ahci.

so in the long run if it aint broke dont try to if it u well waste your time tryin ;-)

0 Kudos
R R Kirsteins
1 Nickel

Just to confirm somethings in error with the Dell Partitioned Image.

After a re-install from Dell Partitioned image on hard drive using dell supports version of ATI 4870 drivers & CCC. Freezing on re-boot problem is back and guess what I'm seeing the CCC can't open error on the top left again just like when it was new. CCC can't open error was fixed by drivers from ATI direct instead of dells and a new , probably unneccesary replacement video card.

I'm calling dell again but we''ll make re-installing from CD our next step skipping all dell ATI stuff and getting it direct from ATI.................................Raymond

PS: Although I had the CCC failed to start error since it was new I ignored it and updated drivers from ATI seemed to cure it. I also updated all other applicable items on the dell support site at the same time inc bios a07. I feel one of these many updates caused my freezing on boot problem, because it did not start till after that and it's got to be hardware because windows never gets to loading it freezes on dell splash screen or DOS controller screen. Never reaches RAID info. Just freezes on intel matrix controller. Punching and holding power button to re-start takes 3-4 trys till windows loads. I blame the dell updates. Probably the real tek card reader or HD audio.................

0 Kudos
ispalten
2 Iron

Uhm, hate to break it to you but you should read up on what RAID is.  RAID requires 2 or more drives, period.  You can't create a Redundant Array of Independant Disks if there are no independant disks.  Your one hard disk system may have been capable of RAID however it was NOT running in RAID.

[quote user="mrg3dit2002"]

i dont know if thats all true or not,i had an emachine t5224 and it was set up for raid with only 1 hard drive from the factory,one day i did a clean install

and did a test run with the raid setting then reinstalled again with ahci and it was ALOT slower with the ahci.

so in the long run if it aint broke dont try to if it u well waste your time tryin ;-)

[/quote]

Of course he could have 2 drives and not know it? One way to tell, if it was configured for RAID0 was to look at the size of C:. If twice as large as the drive size he thought he had, he had another drive somewhere.

I have an XPS Gen5 configured for RAID0, 2 250GB drives. System is 4 1/2 years old and one of the RAID drives died. Finding a replacement drive of the exact buffer size was a problem, so I decided to just use one drive and go AHCI instead. I had been using Norton Ghost to back up the drive so I had a recent image. The biggest problem was setting up the BIOS to be non-RAID. With that done, re-installed the back-up and boot. The performance difference to my eyes is not noticeable. I'm sure there is some, but I can't detect it. Probably boots slightly faster and maybe programs load slightly faster, but it isn't really something I can point my finger at and want me to buy new drives and go back to RAID. If anything I'd go RAID1 and forget about using Norton Ghost.

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tcruiser
1 Copper

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. I have a 435t and wanted to know if hardware virtualization is activated out of the box. If not, does anyone know how to do this? I cannot see any BIOS settings. Also if anyone has installed 64-bit Windows 7 have you had any issues with drivers? I have already installed on an older laptop with no problems at all.

0 Kudos
JsmithDVM
1 Copper

I ordered a 435T recently. When configuring I foolishly/carelessly selected the 8 GB RAM (4 DIMMs) option, not realzing that it would operate as Dual Channel. Now that I have learned a little more about Tri Channel and realized my mistake, my questions are:

1.  If add 2  more 2 GB Dimms of DDR3 for a total of 12 GB (6 matching DIMMs), would it then be tri-channel?

2. If I simply remove one of the 2 GB DIMMs, would I then be getting 6 GB in Tri Channel? If so, would this perform better than 8GB dual channel? (if so, from which slot do I remove it?).

3. Which option do you think is best? If I go with increasing to 12 GB, any advice on what DIMMs to order  or from where?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ispalten
2 Iron

I ordered a 435T recently. When configuring I foolishly/carelessly selected the 8 GB RAM (4 DIMMs) option, not realzing that it would operate as Dual Channel. Now that I have learned a little more about Tri Channel and realized my mistake, my questions are:

1.  If add 2  more 2 GB Dimms of DDR3 for a total of 12 GB (6 matching DIMMs), would it then be tri-channel?

2. If I simply remove one of the 2 GB DIMMs, would I then be getting 6 GB in Tri Channel? If so, would this perform better than 8GB dual channel? (if so, from which slot do I remove it?).

3. Which option do you think is best? If I go with increasing to 12 GB, any advice on what DIMMs to order  or from where?

Thanks

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing.

When I ordered, there was no 9GB option and 8GB was listed as triple memory. Now, the configurator, shows 9GB as triple and 8GB as dual.

I got a copy of CPU-Z and it indeed said I was DUAL memory.

With the help of another message here, I was able use the existing 4 memory cards and go Triple.

If yours is like mine, the 4 closest slots to the processor are filled. The numbering scheme, from the processor is in order 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, and 5. The blue slots, 1, 3, and 5 must be filled before single cards are placed in other slots to make it run Triple.

So, take the memory card in the 3rd slot from the processor, slot 4, which should be pink or orange, and place it in the last slot, the one furthest from the processor, slot 5, and then you'll be configured for Triple.

That said, I didn't really notice any difference in performance, other than CPU-Z claiming the memory was at Triple speed?

Thanks,

Irv S.

0 Kudos