Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

89 Posts

June 25th, 2009 21:00

My 435T with a build date of 6-19-09 has BIOS A09 with a date of 02/26/09 and still C0/C1.

Know what? I'm thinking Dell is still toying around with bios versions, trial and error, until they decide on one that's issue-free. They haven't made an official update for my A07 yet, but there are A08's and A09's being installed on newer orders.

93 Posts

June 26th, 2009 05:00

[quote user="napageo"]

My 435T with a build date of 6-19-09 has BIOS A09 with a date of 02/26/09 and still C0/C1.

Know what? I'm thinking Dell is still toying around with bios versions, trial and error, until they decide on one that's issue-free. They haven't made an official update for my A07 yet, but there are A08's and A09's being installed on newer orders.

[/quote]

I suppose that's possible and you may be right, but that would imply that those with A08 and A09 are unofficial and unknowing "beta testers".  Since the 435MT received  BIOS update 1.1.2 on 6/18/2009, perhaps A08/09 is the "equivalent" update for the 435T. 

Still hoping that Chris-M from Dell will respond to my prior e-mail asking for a clarification regarding the various versions that are out there now... 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 26th, 2009 06:00

I cannot give all the details, but, the different bios versions you seeing changed non-performance items (setup layout, changed name from Studio XPS 435T to Studio XPS 435T/9000, others).

93 Posts

June 26th, 2009 06:00

I cannot give all the details, but, the different bios versions you seeing changed non-performance items (setup layout, changed name from Studio XPS 435T to Studio XPS 435T/9000, others).

Thanks for the reply and update! :emotion-2:

2 Posts

June 29th, 2009 19:00

fyi, the A08 bios in my desktop does NOT support 1333Mhz RAM as verified with CPU-Z and BIOS page.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 30th, 2009 06:00

The Studio XPS 435T does not support 1333MHz? It supports up to 24GB Tri-Channel 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM.

Go here, click the Tech Specs tab.

212 Posts

June 30th, 2009 07:00

fyi, the A08 bios in my desktop does NOT support 1333Mhz RAM as verified with CPU-Z and BIOS page.

Indeed.  Neither the 435MT or 435T will run 1333Mhz RAM at this speed (will default to 1066), a fact that has been pounded to death not unlike a steel drum.   There is question whether any future 435 BIOS will address this issue but most believe one should not hold one's breath regarding the matter.

There is a whole thread dedicated to this issue although it's been stagnant more often than not, for obvious reasons.

- kh 

1 Message

July 2nd, 2009 22:00

I recently purchased the 435t, with 8gb ddr3 ram and the ATI Radeon HD 4850.  My question is; is my motherboard crossfire/ati ready?  I have been looking like crazy typing in my board model number and everything and I can't figure it out.  I want to double up on the 4850's or even something better but I need to know if I have to upgrade my motherboard first.

any help would be appreciated

16 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 00:00

When the power goes out or I shut off my computer it hangs on startup, until I removed one stick of ram and let it start up, then I reinstalled the stick I removed and it starts up. Whats the problem and how can I fix it?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

July 3rd, 2009 04:00

I recently purchased the 435t, with 8gb ddr3 ram and the ATI Radeon HD 4850.  My question is; is my motherboard crossfire/ati ready?  I have been looking like crazy typing in my board model number and everything and I can't figure it out.  I want to double up on the 4850's or even something better but I need to know if I have to upgrade my motherboard first.

Don't think so. No slot for it, the 2nd card I believe? Upgrading the motherboard, don't think you can do that either? Dell uses non-standard backplane placements. Not sure if the power supply is even got enough reserve power to put in another video card either? If you wanted dual or triple video cards this was not the XPS to buy.

11 Posts

July 8th, 2009 01:00

You might have to measure distances with screws or something, but at least in glancing at the model's service manual, it looks like it should actually fit like a standard (9-screw) ATX board.

You'd almost certainly be looking at upgrading the power supply as well.

But to change out the motherboard and PSU, you're pretty much ripping apart and rebuilding almost all components (also including chip and RAM). And if you're going to be doing all that, you almost might as well sell off the 435T as-is and just go build from scratch rather than risk damaging the chip, RAM, etc., in the process.

I'd maybe look into a dual GPU card like the 4870 x2, or else simply sell the 435T and just build your own from scratch rather than rip the whole 435T apart to change out the motherboard and PSU.

And for what it's worth, the 8GB RAM configuration is dual channel rather than tri-channel. You'd likely do better with a tri-channel configuration.

If it was me and I cared about things like doing crossfire that much, I'd go find a case like the Cooler Master Cosmos and assemble it myself. Doing the equivalent of the 435T by yourself might cost a bit more, but if you want more expansion over a longer period of time including things like dual graphics cards, you might as well start now.

Or you could just buy something like the 4870 x2 and say "good enough" -- still looking at a PSU upgrade, most likely.

7 Posts

July 11th, 2009 10:00

Hello, New owner of a 435 and I've got a problem I can't find a solution to trying to search this forum. When I have my headphones plugged into the top headphone jack I get the electrical interference. I tried moving the wire with the yellow connector away from the drives and other wires and this did not fix it. Is there another solution?

July 11th, 2009 13:00

Hey XPS 435 T owners, got an update for you.

Recieved my first 435 T in june . Started with CCC error, then after dell support website 4870 video upgrade started not re-booting. Would freeze before windows loaded. Dell replaced motherboard, video card twice, 12GB's RAM, Processor, Power supply and all cabling. Everything but the 2-640 GB HD's in RAID 0 with that darn dell back up partition on it. Everytime we re-loaded Vista from scratch without any dell drivers CCC error would be restored from the backup partition automatically. Dell refused to format the dell partition to start afresh or replace the HD's. They replaced the whole 435T. Took a month for the second one to arrive.

Within 10 restarts CCC error reappeared just like on first machine. Said hold it.......................Formatted dell partition and removed dell back up software. Removed old 4870 driver and CCC. Then re-installed driver only from ATI's site. Dell tech said CCC is uneccesary. Runs fine, reloaded photoshop and printer drivers. No problems. Installed a 1.5TB SATA internally in 3rd bay and plugged into SATA port #5. Partitioned it with a 8GB vista paging file and 30 GB photoshop scratch disk. Runs fine. New unit came with A09 BIOS but has SATA optical drives (2) and 2 HD's in RAID 0. Old unit with A07 update had ATA opticals and only 4 SATA ports. Could not get an additional eSATA 1.5 TB to be recognized on the backplanes ESATA port so I installed a separate SATA2 PCIe controller card to run the external back up. No problems yet...................

Only complaint now is that CS4 filters run slow. Should be faster with 8 cores and 12GB RAM plus 30GB scratch disk and all running on the RAID 0 drives including the pictures......................................Raymond

PS: I know the rules for Vista ready boost. 4GB max. Fast transfer rates etc. I'm using one on my 4BG vista 64 laptop and think it helps. Think I should try it on the 435T?

July 11th, 2009 21:00

Updating my earlier update............................

Hard drive failure today. Controller boot screen advises drive on port 0 not working. Raid 0 array is striped so everything dies right there. No OS. No image. No nothing. This is crazy. Dell's brand new replacement 435T has a dead drive in the array after only 3 weeks of semi use. My 1.5 TB seagate and one of the two 640 GB dell drives show up. Screen stops right there in an error message and never goes furthur into vista......................Another service ticket and 4-5 hours wasted on the phone.

89 Posts

July 12th, 2009 20:00

Geez, Raymond...you sure are one unlucky guy there with your new 435T! Got a replacement and that died on you too, huh!? Hope you get everything back on track soon.

In a way, I'm glad I left my slow boot up times alone, as well as ignoring the occasional CCC errors.......

No Events found!