Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

July 12th, 2009 22:00

Hey CosmoBlack,

It seems like all my troubles started with the CCC error popping up occasionally. Never should of downloaded ATI updates from Dell's site etc.

Good luck with yours. I see we have some differences; i7-940, 2-640 GB's in RAID 0 and 12GB's of RAM but you have the same 1GB ATI 4870 that dell replaced three times..................Raymond

Waiting on Dell to send a service guy with a new 640 GB HD and restore my computers RAID array and then re-load Vista. Hopefully after that I can use my external HD's full windows back up to restore all back as it was.

16 Posts

July 14th, 2009 06:00

When the power goes out or I shut off my computer it hangs on startup, until I removed one stick of ram and let it start up, then I reinstalled the stick I removed and it starts up. Whats the problem and how can I fix it?

Well I removed the password reset jumper by the the video card and it starts up every time, weird possible fix or defect?

10 Posts

July 17th, 2009 10:00

Sorry for the double post, but I thought other 435 owners should be aware of this and may have missed my thread devoted to this issue.

For all those interested, here is my thread post regarding power to the USB ports when the computer is off.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19283799.aspx

36 Posts

July 17th, 2009 10:00

I wanted to personally thank the posters in this thread for a very informative and educational thread on the XPS 435 T and MT. I took delivery of a "T" machine this week in basic configuration with some future upgrades planned down the road. I just have a question that maybe someone could add some input.

Do the USB ports on the XPS 435 have consistent power applied when just turning the box off via the On/Off switch?

The reason I ask is because I have a Linksys USB WUSB300N-RM, a Wireless N USB adapter connected to a rear USB port. The Power LED lights up and is illuminated even if the machine is powered down. Yes, the green light is lit on the back of the power supply.

However, I've had this USB adapter on two other machines and this never occurred. Power down the machine, light goes off.  Also, my wife has a Dimension purchased last year with the same adapter and the light turns off when the machine is powered down. It appears the USB device/s are receiving power even when the machine is technically turned off at least by the power button.

Any thoughts? Bad design?? Flaw?

36 Posts

July 17th, 2009 11:00

Please keep us updated on your results on this issue/non-issue. It just seems strange that the USB ports would have a continual trickle of power. Perhaps this can be addressed with a Bios update??

For what it's worth, the box (435 T) that was delivered the week of 7/17/09, has Bios version A09 dated 5/5/09.

10 Posts

July 17th, 2009 12:00

I have BIOS A08.  Mine was delivered in early June.

I will keep you guys updated.

16 Posts

July 17th, 2009 23:00

Well spoke to soon computer will not start with all memory slots full, will only start if I remove one stick of ram. I think maybe its time for a replacement or maybe I'll just send it back. I usually build my own computers and never have a problem,  I guess I should have continued. :emotion-6:

19 Posts

July 18th, 2009 00:00

Hi guys,

I probabably should not post my question here but I did not know where. I posted one in another thread. Since no one answered the question I found another place with information about xps435.

I have got my system today.

The first thing I checked is eSata. Unfortunately it does not work. In BIOS it says that eSata is not detected. Machine hangs untill I switch off external hard drive with eSata connection. I looked at the driver versions and they seems to be up to date. Is there is a way to fix this problem? The BIOS version is A09.

The second questoin is that in BIOS I can see that there is almost 9GB or RAM installed. In vista system information I can see that there is 12GB of RAM. What should I pay attention to BIOS info or Vista system info?

I test the sytem now and I do not see that it is working very fast. Espacially with graphic applications. It works as fast as with my previous  PC which is core 2 duo and 6gb of DDR2 667 Mhz.

So far I do not see any difference in performance..

Thanks

4 Posts

July 18th, 2009 04:00

Hi all,

I am on the verge of purchasing a 435T and i have a few following questions regarding the 435T,

1. Is the PSU (Power Supply Unit) of standard ATX form factor and will i be able to upgrade to retail PSU brands such as Antec, Aerocool, OCZ, etc? Also, does it fit into the case with any problems? Anyone tried successfully?

2. Are retail branded RAMs such as Kingston, Corsair, Team Elite, etc. compatible with the 435T? Any incompatibility issues like some previous Dell models which are restricted to specifically 'Model' designed RAMs from third party companies? Anyone tried successfully?

Thanks in advance :emotion-1:

6 Posts

July 18th, 2009 09:00

I had (have?) the same problem with eSata port on my 435T: Bios says not detected, machine sometimes hangs on boot w/ eSata connected.  Updated/reinstalled intel and jmicron drivers but it didn't help.  Called Dell, spent 90 minutes with a clueless tech and they replaced motherboard.  Bios still says no eSata connected, but machine will reliably boot with esata drive connected, it just isn't recognized.  Eventually noticed that if i boot with eSata drive OFF, wait until vista (x64) is running, and then power up the drive vista will recognize it after about 20 seconds.  If i then power down and back up with eSata drive on it won't be there - sometimes powercycling the esata drive will work, sometimes not.

Since it sounds like eSata is important to you, based on my experience I would suggest that you either send the machine back or have them replace your new mobo w/ a refurb.

The first thing I checked is eSata. Unfortunately it does not work. In BIOS it says that eSata is not detected. Machine hangs untill I switch off external hard drive with eSata connection. I looked at the driver versions and they seems to be up to date. Is there is a way to fix this problem? The BIOS version is A09.

19 Posts

July 18th, 2009 22:00

Hi I actualy had a nice conversation with Technical support guy from Toronto. They did the tests they logged to my machine and did the BIOS downgrade but still it will not recognise the drive. I went to my friend and tested eSata HD and it is working when connected to his Latitude.

I am going to call Customer care  on Monday and asked them to replace the system or to give me a refund.

I am just curios how I can have BIOS A09 when DELL recomends A07 for this system.

Thanks for all your help.

36 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 08:00

I am just curios how I can have BIOS A09 when DELL recomends A07 for this system.

Thanks for all your help.

This was a response from Chris M in regards to your question on different BIOS versions being sent into the field.

I cannot give all the details, but, the different bios versions you seeing changed non-performance items (setup layout, changed name from Studio XPS 435T to Studio XPS 435T/9000, others).

37 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 18:00

Out of curiosity, have any 435T owners been able to burn a DVD with Pinnacle Studio 12 without continuously getting the BSOD? Apparently there is some kind of a configuration  issue upon software installation with the 435T and Studio 12 that causes a BSOD when choosing to burn the DVD. Anyone have any luck with this and what kind of work around did you employ to get Studio 12 to work? 

Possibly a difference in the BIOS? Thanks in advance.

22 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 19:00

I know I had a problem with this software doing a web update. It would BSOD everytime. I just used a Roxio CD I had from previous pc. Of course, this was after rebuilding the pc from scratch not using Dell's image. I have yet to see anything posted by Dell concerning their image even though many of us have experienced the same problems with it. Having been a long time user of Dell products and use to usually high quality I'm afraid its a sign of the times that quality control has gone to the wayside.

36 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 08:00

Hi all,

2. Are retail branded RAMs such as Kingston, Corsair, Team Elite, etc. compatible with the 435T? Any incompatibility issues like some previous Dell models which are restricted to specifically 'Model' designed RAMs from third party companies? Anyone tried successfully?

Thanks in advance :emotion-1:

I've owned the T series for about 2 weeks now and recently added from Negg, Crucial 6GB (3 X 2) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ram and its been stable and without any problems. I just inserted them into the empty slots from a basic stock machine with 3 GB which were immediately recognized by the BIOS. Hopefully Dell will write a BIOS that allows the ram to run to it's full speed.

No Events found!