Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

3 Posts

July 27th, 2009 14:00

Any news on the BSOD when using the Createive Labs update utility?  I just took delivery of my 435T and get a blue screen if the update utility is run.  I know, the workaround is don't run the update utility...

i7-940, 8gb RAM, 750gb HD, 1024 ATI Radeon HD4870, SB X-Fi Titanium, Vista-64 Ultimate

16 Posts

July 29th, 2009 03:00

Does anyone have all six ram slots full, because mine will not start with all slots full. I've tried different ram, moved them around to different slots and dell even replaced my motherboard twice, still no joy. What should I do? :emotion-6:

34 Posts

July 29th, 2009 06:00

Received my 435T on 7/25/09 and it was delivered with BIOS Version A11.  Have posted in the 435T with BSOD thread but system continually crashed with BSOD concerning clock error on secondary processor.  Have reverted to 1 core in the BIOS to keep system up and running.  Did a complete clean install of the Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit from the DVD as recommended by this thread and have only experienced a single lock-up during one of the Vista updates.  Put the system back on 1 core to continue getting all the updates / drivers done before going back to all cores.

One note though, in the BIOS A11 setting for Multi-Core, the values presented are [All] [1] [2].  Since this is a 4 core machine, would think all the cores would be represented.

Have downloaded the Windows 7 RC1 Ultimate 64 Bit and if the system continues to stop, going to load that to see if it is a Vista thing vice a Dell thing.

Studio XPS 435T
Intel Core i7-950 processor(8MB L3 Cache 3.07GHz)
12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5
Raid 0 2x1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition English
Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Dell 1505 WLAN PCIe card

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2009 08:00

Can you post a picture of that bios screen?

34 Posts

July 29th, 2009 15:00

This is a pic showing the BIOS version and date:

This is the pic of the Multi-Core selection criteria:

6 Posts

July 30th, 2009 14:00

Does anyone know if the 15 in 1 card reader on the front panel reads SD cards as well as SDHC cards? Thanks.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2009 16:00

I've got a regular SD card in it right now and it works fine.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2009 21:00

I had the same problem with my 435T/9000 with a Antec MX-1 eSATA/USB enclosure but I also was able to replicate it on a notebook with eSATA too (never had an issue on my old 975X badaxe system).  I was able to detect the drive it in Ubuntu but not Windows but not consistently. 

I figured it was the very cheap cable they included so I ordered replacement cable from monoprice.com and it worked consistently in both Windows and Ubuntu, so the issue is likely the cheap cable.  Perhaps there is variations in eSATA implementations and signal strength/quality is much more vital on some hardware combos?

As far as the boot problem I noticed it was caused by boot options in the BIOS, once I changed the boot order it works fine with the newer cable.

I had (have?) the same problem with eSata port on my 435T: Bios says not detected, machine sometimes hangs on boot w/ eSata connected.  Updated/reinstalled intel and jmicron drivers but it didn't help.  Called Dell, spent 90 minutes with a clueless tech and they replaced motherboard.  Bios still says no eSata connected, but machine will reliably boot with esata drive connected, it just isn't recognized.  Eventually noticed that if i boot with eSata drive OFF, wait until vista (x64) is running, and then power up the drive vista will recognize it after about 20 seconds.  If i then power down and back up with eSata drive on it won't be there - sometimes powercycling the esata drive will work, sometimes not.

Since it sounds like eSata is important to you, based on my experience I would suggest that you either send the machine back or have them replace your new mobo w/ a refurb.

[quote user="ivanyshka7"]

The first thing I checked is eSata. Unfortunately it does not work. In BIOS it says that eSata is not detected. Machine hangs untill I switch off external hard drive with eSata connection. I looked at the driver versions and they seems to be up to date. Is there is a way to fix this problem? The BIOS version is A09.

[/quote]

2 Posts

July 30th, 2009 21:00

I just tried a Transcend 4GB SDHC card and it worked fine:emotion-21:

11 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 21:00

Hi all,

I am on the verge of purchasing a 435T and i have a few following questions regarding the 435T,

1. Is the PSU (Power Supply Unit) of standard ATX form factor and will i be able to upgrade to retail PSU brands such as Antec, Aerocool, OCZ, etc? Also, does it fit into the case with any problems? Anyone tried successfully?

2. Are retail branded RAMs such as Kingston, Corsair, Team Elite, etc. compatible with the 435T? Any incompatibility issues like some previous Dell models which are restricted to specifically 'Model' designed RAMs from third party companies? Anyone tried successfully?

Thanks in advance :emotion-1:

1) Fairly sure it's standard ATX. I've read of others installing new supplies without major issue. Some with the 435MT and other XPS models say to preferably stick with standard dimensions of 150mm x 86mm x 140mm for those, however. You'll find some PSU's these days that can have greater depth of 180mm like the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910 that might take up a little more space, but the 435T is an ATX sized case so shouldn't have more issue than anything else that's "normal." Things like the 435MT obviously have smaller cases so greater concern.

2) Multiple reports of other RAM working fine. You do need to sure you don't exceed 1.5V though, which will limit your options. I don't believe anyone has obtained speed above 1066MHz, however, though I believe I bios update in the 435MT eventually enabled 1333MHz there. Hopefully that can come to the 435T eventually, too.

1 Message

August 7th, 2009 20:00

Question, I just installed an additional Hard Drive on my 435MT, a WD 1TB Caviar Black to be exact, do I need to change the power supply or cooling with this added extra?

155 Posts

August 7th, 2009 20:00

No. You'll be fine.

Bob N.

59 Posts

August 8th, 2009 11:00

FYI, just upgraded my 435T's Vista install to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM (MSDN Sub), and the upgrade worked flawlessly. Had to upgrade my nVidia video drivers to the latest Win7 builds but that's about it.  Loving every minute of Windows 7.

261 Posts

August 10th, 2009 09:00

Mine shipped last Thurs. hopeful it will be here tomorrow.............

Core i7-965 Extreme 3.2 GHz

9gb ddr

ATI 4870 1024

1.50 Tb hd

16X DVD+/-RW and Blu-Ray

21" EIZO s2110w

vista 64 Premium

etc.....etc....etc

261 Posts

August 10th, 2009 10:00

Any 435T owners using, or upgraded to, the ATI Radeon 4870 x 2? Thanks.........

No Events found!