Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

35 Posts

August 24th, 2009 08:00

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies in advance if I did something wrong.
First, I have to say this thread is a mine of very useful information, and after reading through the 34 pages, my head is spinning :-)
I expect my 435MT to be received this week-end, and I am planning some upgrades and I have some questions please.

Here is my config :
i7-920 /
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs / ATI Radeon HD 4850 512M / 19 in 1 Media Card Reader in Dell Bluetooth Package / Internal Qflix-enabled DVD Burner and DVD-ROM / regular Dell keyboard and mouse

1- right now I have only 4 GB in dual channel, and I did not want to opt for the expensive configurator of 6 MB (+$100) when I purchased the machine.
B/C I can see in the parts link  :
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Memory_Upgrades/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2290225&mfgpid=200594
for 1GB for $22 each. So if I buy 2 modules, and install them in my machine, I would get 6 GB, and tri-channel. Is this correct ?

2- As I don't know yet how the 4 DIMMs dual-channel are installed, but I assume they are in the slots 2, 1, 4 and 3.
Before I purchase my additional 2 GB (above), if I moved them to the slots 2, 1, 3 and 5, I would have a theoretical 4GB i tri-channel ? ( if I read correctly an older post from i-vol).

3- I am currently using this "Iogear MiniView Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch with audio and cables "MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch with audio and cables"
http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS632U/
to share my monitor and my Logitech cordless keyboard/mouse between my laptop and my current old PC.
Can I use them without any issue with the new 435MT ?

Thanks in advance for any answer or suggestion.

16 Posts

August 25th, 2009 14:00

My 435T also came with 4GB, and the 435MT has a similar mobo/ram setup.  It was in 1, 2, 3, and 4, and said "Dual Channel" on the BIOS splash screen.  I tried moving the RAM around to get 3GB triple channel + 1GB single, but it doesn't work that way, no matter where you put it.  You can take one out and put them in 1/3/5 or 2/4/6 and get 3GB triple channel.  But, as soon as you put that 4th or 5th stick in there it can't do triple channel.  Only with 3 or 6 sticks.  And, I doubt that 3GB triple is better than 4GB dual. 

If you bought two IDENTICAL ram modules to that 4th stick, then yes, you could do 6GB triple channel.  Or, you could spend $100 at newegg for 3 x 2GB and end up with 9GB triple channel. 

I've been running the 4GB dual channel, playing games, running iTunes, downloading, and internet, and I haven't noticed any slowdown at all.  I'll probably go for the 9GB eventually, but I don't see the need right now.  Depends on what you're using it for.

The only problems you might have with your KVM switch is running it in Vista 64.  Not everything is compatible.  Same will go for Windows 7.  Should work, though, USB is named Universal Serial Bus for a reason...

35 Posts

August 26th, 2009 02:00

Fusheng, Thanks for your answers,especially the ones about the attempts of reaching tri-channel with only 4 DIMMs.
Once I have the machine I will run a CPU-Z test and see what kind of RAM I got from Dell.
I might stick with 4 GB for now until I find a decent deal for 2x1GB from Dell. 9 GB is too much for my needs and usage.

For the KVM, I will do more research on Vista x64 and the potential drivers.

3 Posts

August 26th, 2009 06:00

I am currently using this "Iogear MiniView Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch with audio and cables "MiniView™ Micro USB PLUS KVM Switch with audio and cables"
http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS632U/
to share my monitor and my Logitech cordless keyboard/mouse between my laptop and my current old PC.
Can I use them without any issue with the new 435MT ?

Thanks in advance for any answer or suggestion.

I have been using an Iogear Miniview KVM switch with my 435MT  (Vista 64-bit) for 8 months without any problems.

Bob N.

22 Posts

August 26th, 2009 19:00

I have a 435T also but haven't had to have the motherboard replaced. That said, I use to be a Dell authorized tech and although it was a few years ago we used a piece of software to change the service tag when changing out motherboards. This was a pretty common procedure and only took a few minutes. I'd find it hard to believe Dell got away from doing this considering how important service tags are. Sounds to me like you had a tech who either didn't know what he was doing or forgot his software. It may be your only alternative is another motherboard to resolve this but I'd for sure first be on the phone with their first/second level support to see if there is a way around it first.

The onsite tech didn't have the software to do it, so I called the first level support via the tech support number and they couldn't tell me how to do it either and couldn't find the software for the 435T. Phone support recommended replacing the motherboard again. 

I'm pretty sure I found the software for the 435T on the Resource CD that came with the computer in the CSD\TOOLS\BIOS directory, the utility for the Foxconn made 435T motherboard is fasset.exe, I tried using the utility to change the service tag, and the utility said it changed the service tag, but upon reboot and a check in the BIOS, it wasn't changed. I even tried adding an asset tag using the same utility and it didn't apply either, so maybe it is that the replacement motherboard has a problem with the DMI section of the BIOS where all this information is stored.

I'm just trying to avoid getting into an issue of replacing motherboards over and over until either the utility works or Dell sets the proper tag before shipping out the replacement board.

Has anyone with an 435T had to have their motherboard replaced? If so, were you or the Dell tech able to change the service tag on the replacement motherboard to the original service tag? I recently had to have my motherboard replaced due to a BIOS flash failure and now my service tags don't match in the BIOS. I called Dell tech support and they don't seem to know how to change it. 

I managed to find a utility on the Utility/Resource CD for it called fasset.exe (for Foxconn motherboards) it appears to change the service tag when I run it, but the changes never apply in the BIOS.

Now Dell is wanting to replace the motherboard again because they can't figure out how to set the service tag.

Anyone with any experience changing the service tag on a replacement motherboard?

2 Posts

August 26th, 2009 20:00

Anyone having issues with installing SP2 for Vista Home Premium 64bit on the 435MT? i got the box yesterday and it gives error stating driver error. The KB967752 talks about server 2008.

52 Posts

August 26th, 2009 21:00

The onsite tech didn't have the software to do it, so I called the first level support via the tech support number and they couldn't tell me how to do it either and couldn't find the software for the 435T. Phone support recommended replacing the motherboard again. 

I'm pretty sure I found the software for the 435T on the Resource CD that came with the computer in the CSD\TOOLS\BIOS directory, the utility for the Foxconn made 435T motherboard is fasset.exe, I tried using the utility to change the service tag, and the utility said it changed the service tag, but upon reboot and a check in the BIOS, it wasn't changed. I even tried adding an asset tag using the same utility and it didn't apply either, so maybe it is that the replacement motherboard has a problem with the DMI section of the BIOS where all this information is stored.

I'm just trying to avoid getting into an issue of replacing motherboards over and over until either the utility works or Dell sets the proper tag before shipping out the replacement board.

Well - funny thing - I just had my motherboard replaced due to a bad flash, whatever, of the A13 BIOS (BIOS appeared to flash ok - but upon reboot, didn't get any POST, screen, etc.)

Anyway - motherboard was replaced today - and, once installed and upon boot, we went into the BIOS to check - under the System Info (first option on the left) - is where we had to enter the Service Tag (was highlighted as blank).

Now that it's set, however, not sure if I can change it, etc.

35 Posts

Bob - That is excellent news, Thank You very much for confirming ...
When I was checking the product specs, it does not say Vista supported for this Miniview KVM switch.
And there are not that many iogear KVM switch with a "confirmed" Vista specs.
So I will definitely plug  it in when I receive my 435 MT.

41 Posts

Bummer about your BIOS flash going south. I just got my XPS 435T Saturday. No way I am going to update the BIOS.

22 Posts

August 27th, 2009 08:00

You may want to reconsider updating your BIOS to A13. I've noticed my 435T now boots much faster and seems to have resolved some hanging issues.

52 Posts

August 27th, 2009 20:00

You may want to reconsider updating your BIOS to A13. I've noticed my 435T now boots much faster and seems to have resolved some hanging issues.

Agreed - was a little gunshy after just going through all of the effort to get the mother board replaced..  But I've gone ahead and tried the BIOS update again - successfully this time.

Most impressive / noticeable improvement was the boot time - whereas before it was averaging around 65-75 seconds from power to a "usable state" (i.e. I can login and use the machine) - now it's averaging right @ 45 seconds.

Other strange thing is the RealTek Ethernet message showing up trying to boot off of the network - I guess it was there previously on my old motherboard - but hidden...

59 Posts

August 29th, 2009 10:00

I have a GTX 275 in my 435T that I installed from day 1 back in May.  Never had a single issue or crash with my 435T  under Vista 64, Win7 RC, and now Win 7 64 Ultimate RTM.  It's rock solid and runs flawlessly.

Does anyone have the Nvdia card? Is it as troublesome as the ATI?

22 Posts

August 29th, 2009 10:00

I have the 4870 with 1024 and have had no problems. That being said, I also don't use the driver on Dell's website. I always get the latest from ATI.

All vendors have problems, usually 5% is the average mean failure rate which is considered a industry standard so really there is no one vendor exceptionally better than the others.

I had problems with my 435T out of the box as well and after 72hrs of trying fixes and then rebuilding using their image I resorted to rebuilding using the cd's. I used all the drivers on Dell's website with the exception of the video driver. Its been pretty much rock solid since and even better with the A13 bios update from A07. Good luck!

No Events found!