LathropDave
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 435 Owners Thread

I have the 4870 with 1024 and have had no problems. That being said, I also don't use the driver on Dell's website. I always get the latest from ATI.

All vendors have problems, usually 5% is the average mean failure rate which is considered a industry standard so really there is no one vendor exceptionally better than the others.

I had problems with my 435T out of the box as well and after 72hrs of trying fixes and then rebuilding using their image I resorted to rebuilding using the cd's. I used all the drivers on Dell's website with the exception of the video driver. Its been pretty much rock solid since and even better with the A13 bios update from A07. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
manotick
1 Copper

First off, I want to thank all you folks for contributing to this terrific forum.  I am just on the cusp of ordering a 435T and have been trolling the web for information from users, so this has been very useful.  Your comments give me a good idea on what to expect.

I’ve owned a lot of Dell’s over the years and have bumped into a range of problems/challenges.  I too have scar tissue from waiting for and talking to Dell phone support.  In the main, all the problems I’ve had did eventually get resolved.  The XPS support seems particularly responsive.

I can resolve some basic technical stuff, so I’m not too worried about what you’ve all said about the 435T.

I have 2 specific questions that I’d like to discuss before I place the order.  1) Given your collective experience with the 435Ts to date, do you think it makes sense to buy an additional year of warranty?  For a laptop I always buy more years of protection, since the machine is moving around.  But for a desktop, I’m not sure that it’s a worthwhile expenditure. Adding a second year is about $120, or $170 with Complete Care (prices in Canada).

2) I was going to order the machine with the ATI 4870 1024 – I’ve always preferred ATI.  However, since yesterday the Dell site no longer offers the 4870/1024 – maybe in response to the many issues that you have mentioned in this forum.   Now they’re only offering a nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB.  My experience with nVidia has been mixed – like crashing WoW, which was not a particularly demanding game for a GPU.   Also, I can’t find any information on a “1792MB” GTX 260 (is it the GTX 260 Black?) so I can’t find a performance comparison with the 4870/1024.   My question is: Do any of you have any views on the GTX 260/1792, and how it might compare to the 4870/1024?

I wonder if there will be any Labor Day savings if I wait a few more days.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
fishnbanjo
2 Iron

I like my 4870 1024 and the 435T in general, after formatting the drive segments (I split the drive in half one half is W7 RC build 7100 which is now very stable and other half Vista 64 again very stable) I copied the Recovery partition then formatted it and loaded Ubuntu 9.04 which is stable as well but not connecting to my wireless as yet but I have a tri-OS boot system working very well. If the 4870 is what you want I'd see if there was one in the Refurbished Outlet where I got mine from and I did purchase a 2 year extended warranty, the system shipped at $2507 with warranty a good savings over the build side. Best of luck.............. Oh and I also flashed the BIOS to A13 and it's much faster now.

banjo

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

0 Kudos
rettenhu
2 Iron

Manotick,

I have owned several Dell desktops and laptops and my employer used Dell equipment as well.  Regarding an additional warranty,  I have used the same practice you do.  That is, I don't buy the extended warranty for desktops but make sure I have a 2 or 3 yr warranty for the laptops because they take more abuse.  My experience with desktops has been that component failures usually occur, if it all, within the first 12 months which would be covered by the base warranty of 1 yr.  So my suggestion would be to bypass the extended warranty and ensure your system is backed up regularly in the event of a failure.  I don't have any experience with the GTX260/1792 but I have owned nVidia products before and have not had any issues.

Good luck with your pending purchase and be sure to share your experiences with the rest of us here and to keep this thread as helpful as it has been to many, including myself.

Studio XPS 435T    i7 920 2.67Mhz •  6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel  •  640GB SATA • ATI Radeon 4870 1024MB   • 16x DVD+/-RW 2408 WFP DVI @1920 x 1200 • STD USB Keyboard & Laser Mouse • Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

0 Kudos
bklynlou
1 Nickel

i too am considering getting the 435t and i also saw that they now offer the gtx 260 1792mb card as an option.  im wondering if this card will run properly on this system with its 475w power supply as the gtx 260 card says it requires a 500w power supply minimum.  also, it requires 36 amps on the 12v rail.  can anyone who owns the 435t kindly look at the label on the power supply and tell me the following: is it a dell branded power supply or another brand? can you tell me the maximum total watts on the 12v rail? there will be a line on the power supply that says maximum total on 12v is xxx watts and thats where you find this number out.  normally this number is a little less than the power supply watts, which in this case is 475w.  to get the amps, you take the number of total watts allowed on the 12v rail and divide by 12.  this should be over 36 amps to run the gtx 260 smoothly.  also, i plan to install 3 hard drives and a tv tuner with the gtx 260 card and im wondering if all of this will tax the power supply and make the 475w one that comes with this system underpowered?  lastly, has anyone had any experience installing any of the gtx 200 series cards successfully on this system?  thanks in advance for your kind replies.

0 Kudos
lesterpaul
1 Nickel

I tried to do the BIOS update, my XPS 435 is now a  $2300 boat anchor. Nothing works, only the fans start up. I have requested a replacement.

0 Kudos
zerinSSL
1 Nickel

That's why I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it.  The 435T runs fine under Windows 7 RTM even with the Bios I have from late April.

I tried to do the BIOS update, my XPS 435 is now a  $2300 boat anchor. Nothing works, only the fans start up. I have requested a replacement.

0 Kudos
dccsb
1 Nickel

Has anyone tried installing MOH Airborne on this system? I know its an older game but thought it would scream on this system. EA says it does not support Vista 64 but a lot of postings from folks that have it working fine. On this platform it loads fine w/o errors but then is really jerky in the opening video and then freezes. Trying to work with EA but no luck so far. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LathropDave
1 Nickel

MOH Airborne rocks on my 435T. Don't recall having to do anything special. It just loaded up and away we went. Have 6gb's RAM, ATI RAdeon 4870 w/1gb onboard. Are you using the Dell provided vid driver? If so, may want to get the latest ATI driver and give it a go. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
dccsb
1 Nickel

I am running the latest from ATI and I have the 4850 and 6GB RAM. Did you update any other drivers? I updated Realtek to correct a blue screen error and I am running A11.

0 Kudos