Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

23 Posts

January 7th, 2012 06:00

can you supply me with drivers? I bough t a refurbed mobo for my rig; NO service code

UNLESS yours is out of warranty and can give me  a service code; I would use it to download drivers

from the Dell site; nothing else

running DEL Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

7 Posts

August 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all doing great, I bought the dell desktop Studio XPS 435MT from the us around 2 years ago; Since then I have been using it in lebanon with so much difficulties regarding buying a compatible ups for this desktop.

I have bought around 3 different upses to try them on this desktop and none worked, whenever the electricity switches to generator or vice versa or the electricity goes for a very short period of time, the pc restarts or shuts down. After many repeats of such scenarios, it is now freezing twice when I turn it on, I have to return it off then on twice to make it work.

I have read on the Dell forums, they have requested to buy a pure sine wave ups which costs around 500 $, an amount I am not willing to pay right now. Some other guy posted that he tried the power supply "Corsair TX650" which made it worked, I can't seem to find such power supply in Lebanon.

This is my system

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/Index

I am really afraid of buying the apc 1000 sua smart ups it costs 450 $ in lebanon, and to find out it won't work, I tried changing psu to the corsair hx 650 and it still turned off when im in a game or using my pc a bit heavily, what do you think is the best solution ? get the sinewave ups or change the psu ( which one ) or both ?

Please be of advice.

Thanks,

Ryan

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 7th, 2012 10:00

The 'problem' is that the newer Dell's have PFC PSU's and they don't work with all UPS's.

When I got my Dell 2 1/2 years ago, not many PFC UPS's were around. I secured a USED refurbished APC 1000SUA for about 1/2 the price of new.

Just got a Dell XPS 8500 also with a PFC PSU. Found there are a LOT more choices today. CyberPower makes many that are PFC compliant. I got this one, www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_act_title_1, but I can't tell you how to get one where you are. I'm sure you can find others.

Irv S.

7 Posts

August 8th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Thanks alot for ure reply, I didnt find this model in lebanon but I found this one:

eu.cyberpowersystems.com/.../cp900epfclcd.htm

Maybe because its european, will it work with the dell and whats the difference between it and what you suggested .

Gracias,

Ryan

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 8th, 2012 08:00

Ryan, the model number you linked to has an 'E' in the model number, probably for European standards, input/output voltage is 230V it seems on the spec.'s. If that is your voltage, those are the same. We got a CP1000PFCLCD, slightly smaller in wattage since the one you are looking at is a 230V model and mine is 120V. Don't know what the 435T is drawing in terms of watts over where you are, assuming you are on 230V's or using a stepdown converter?

I would wonder is that is 'big' enough or you'll need to go to the largest model? I guess if you can get it locally and try it it would be best. If there isn't a large cost difference, get the largest anyway. If nothing else it will give you a longer run time when power does drop.

The important part if 'PFC', that means it is made for PFC PSU, also called 'pure sinewave'.

Here is an article from APC on this subject and why normal UPS's don't work, nam-en.apc.com/.../computers-containing-pfc-%28power-factor-corrected%29-power-supplies-and-their-use.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 8th, 2012 09:00

That wattage is the same as the US wattage. Volts x Amps = Wattage... I doubt (but I'm surely NO expert) that is you are running on 230V you only use 1/2 the amps? Unless there is a converter in the system with a switch or external device?

Multiplying by 1.25 the PSU wattage says you only need about a 600W UPS though? Again, more UPS wattage, the longer the run time.

7 Posts

Thanks a lot for ure prompt reply,

Yes where I am, we have 230 voltage, its in lebanon btw, and yes I can find this one also eu.cyberpowersystems.com/.../cp1300epfclcd.htm

I think this one should be enough since my psu is at 475 w.

What do you think?

Thanks

7 Posts

Yes, you are right there is a switch inside the pc that switches I guess the 220 to 110, will that be a problem if i get a 780 W sinewave ups that run on 220 v ? ( the one linked above )

Thanks,

Ryan

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

August 8th, 2012 10:00

I really can't answer that? I would think it wouldn't matter, but I am not an expert here. Best to talk to whoever is selling it I would assume? Sorry.

1 Message

September 4th, 2012 21:00

Has anybody upgraded their graphics card? Im looking at a radeon hd 6850? Do you know if it is compatible with our mother board?

23 Posts

September 5th, 2012 06:00

I am running a HD 4600 series;I love it in that I can send video via the HDMI/.DVI port to my 46" SONY

I DOUBT the 4800 would NOT run; I might try and ask the AMD guys/tech support

I believe it is the same architecture; of course I am NOT running a stock P/S; mine is a 750 or 800W aftermarket; I am NOT familiar how power hungry these HD series cards are; that would be *my* concern considering the PCIe card slots are standard

158 Posts

June 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

Sorry for being too lazy to browse this whole thread but:

I was hoping someone could help me with a Velociraptor question.  I purchased this XPS 435MT four years ago & it has been an excellent computer, very little to complain about.  Recently I have begun to think perhaps a little more speed would be nice but shy away from SSD do to concerns with TRIM, IDE vs AHCI, the affect to the Optical Drives if AHCI.

So what about a Velociraptor or is all of this a waste of time on a SATA 2 machine?.  Has anyone here installed one & what kind of performance running SATA IDE.

Currently my system has a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM,  ST31000528AS.

Thank you

16 Posts

December 9th, 2013 09:00

the i7 920 should be running @ 2.66(2.67)ghz

16 Posts

December 9th, 2013 09:00

yes, check out xfx radeon hd 7750 single slot card newegg about $110.(no additional power needed)

16 Posts

December 9th, 2013 11:00

these cards run off the 75 watts supplied thru the pci-e x16 slot - no additional power cable needed-the dell 435t/9000 475 watt power supply  will run them.

No Events found!