Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-09-2013 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

Replies (737)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Nope, just the ATI driver. Also running A11 but when I played it was on A07.

3 Argentum

What it all looks like............

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I am running Win7 RC1 on my 435T. Everything was fine when one day the card reader started to malfunction. For troubleshooting, I booted with Ubuntu and quickly found that the USB ports on the motherboard were fine. I could find this out by swapping the two USB cables for the front (one goes to the four USB ports in the front and the thicker one goes to the card reader). Connecting the card reader cable to either of the two ports elicits no response when plugging in a card in the card reader when I tail /var/log/messages. Plug in the front 4-port USB hub cable in either of the two motherboard ports and they both work. So the card reader is the problem.

For now, I have disconnected the card reader's USB cable from the motherboard but Win7 still shows it as an Unrecognised device. Any pointers or fixes for this errant card reader or should I just leave it alone?

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

I received my new 435MT last week, have been playing with it in my spare time, and can report first that the Iogear Miniview KVM switch works in Vista 64 without any issue.
That is really sweet.
In fact I tried in 3 steps in case I got into some trouble :
1- no KVM, just the basic Dell KB and mouse : no problem
2- KVM plugged in with same Dell KB/Mouse : no problem wither, the KVM "driver" is recognized and installed, the Hotkey to swap between the 2 PC works like in my old XP.
3- last test, KVM with my Logitech Wireless KB and Mouse LX 500 : again no problem ...

I will post more finding about the RAM, the Video etc in a separate post, and a couple of "funny" things (no issue though for now as I have not been using it extensively).

3 Silver

Truc88 did you update your BIOS? I am affraid to do it as the first 435 crashed and never restarted. This is actually my second one!

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Lesterpaul, Just  a short answer for you on your question while I am preparing my longer post, No I did not do the BIOS update to 1.1.2.
My machine came installed with 1.1.1.

Not sure why it was not done in factory with 1.1.2 since it was available for download since 06/05/09, and my machine was ordered end of August.
Now that you mentioned your crash, I will be even more cautious or afraid to move to 1.1.2 without any compelling reason.
I might need to read a bit more on this BIOS version in the forum.
HTH.

3 Argentum

Lesterpaul, Just  a short answer for you on your question while I am preparing my longer post, No I did not do the BIOS update to 1.1.2.  My machine came installed with 1.1.1.  Now that you mentioned your crash, I will be even more cautious or afraid to move to 1.1.2 without any compelling reason.

Well, you do realize that Lesterpaul has a 435T and you have a 435MT (It's not clear whether he realizes the same~his latest bios option is A13)).  You are referring  to two totally different bios versions within two different Core i7 machines.  Unfortunately, it appears ye olde Lesterpaul became a victim of self-fulfilling prophecy if you follow his 435T posts.

I'm entering my ninth month of 435MT ownership, having shipped with the original bios.  I updated my bios to 1.1.2 not long after its arrival due to the new fan parameters fix which has always been an issue with the 435MT.   Actually, I've never had a single issue when following the almost staggeringly simple directions on a cleanly booted, problem-free machine.   While I don't think bios updates should be taken lightly, preferring to move to new versions only when it solves a needed issue, Dell's bios flashes have been the most routine I've experienced.

435MT  i7 920 • 6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel • 1.28TB 2x640GB ~ RAID 0 • 1TB WD eSATA|500GB USB
             ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
• 2 x DVD+/-RW • 24" HP w2408h HDMI @ 1920 x 1200
             435MT|435T Manual/Downloads/RAM Info 
•  System Performance Monitoring

3 Argentum

Truc88 did you update your BIOS? I am affraid to do it as the first 435 crashed and never restarted. This is actually my second one!

I had no issues withe the BIOS upgrade on my 435T.  As i-vol said, they are very straight-forward.  If you are unsure about doing it yourself, I'm sure that support will do it remotely for you.

Studio XPS 435T    i7 920 2.67Mhz •  6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel  •  640GB SATA • ATI Radeon 4870 1024MB   • 16x DVD+/-RW 2408 WFP DVI @1920 x 1200 • STD USB Keyboard & Laser Mouse • Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

3 Argentum

Indeed, Dell makes it about as easy as can be, a departure from the days of old.  I would start with a fully updated machine, powered down to clear everything, cleanly booted before you proceed to below, copied from the ubiquitous "where is my 435" thread...

It's right on the main downloads page for the 435T, a page I would bookmark in your toolbar within your favorite browser(s).   It's not hard at all if you follow the instructions.

Custom Instructions for XPS435T/9000-A13.exe
:

1.  Click Download Now, to download the file.

2.  When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to disk and click OK.
      The Save In: window appears.

3.  From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
      select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.

4.  If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
      icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.  Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled XPS435T-A13.EXE.

2.  Utility will pop up a user interface.

2.  Click the Update button

435MT  i7 920 • 6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel • 1.28TB 2x640GB ~ RAID 0 • 1TB WD eSATA|500GB USB
             ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
• 2 x DVD+/-RW • 24" HP w2408h HDMI @ 1920 x 1200
             435MT|435T Manual/Downloads/RAM Info 
•  System Performance Monitoring

3 Silver

Having built more computers than I care to recount, and being the CIO of a software company who manages 23 DELL servers, I can assure you I know exactly how to update a BIOS. The update crashed my previous 435T. Unless I "need" it I am not about to try it again. I am not the only one who updated the BIOS and had the update crash the computer.

Best of luck to you.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor