Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 3rd, 2015 02:00

XPS 435MT: Windows 10 Home (upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit)

Since yesterday, I have been working on getting my 6 year old XPS 435 MT to run Windows 10.

The 'Get Windows 10' App, never showed up, despite trying all the troubleshooting steps outlined on microsoft.com.

I had downloaded the 3.8 GB ISO already (international version).

So, after wasting 3-4 hours, I simply converted that ISO into a USB bootable version (using the Media Converter - or similar named tool from Microsoft's website).

So, after that, I double clicked on the setup from the USB pen drive and the process started.

I wanted to preseve all my programs and data, so I chose that option (the first one that came up).

Also, I did not choose to download needed updates, since I expected that to slow down the whole process. I have a 1 Mbps connection - not exactly fast.

So, after around 35 minutes, I was into the desktop.

1. Graphics card - some generic driver was used. Downloading AMD's 15.7.1 driver was an excruciatingly slow process. The speed was roughly 30 Kbps. Finally managed to download the file after 3 hours (size 245 MB).

That took care of the graphics part.

2. Kaspersky itself popped up a message that I should use a version compatible with Windows 10, so I started that download and that one took a good 1.5 hour as well. 

I noticed that all the download speeds were around 500 Kbps, even if I am trying to do multiple downloads together. My broadband connections bandwidth was not used optimally by Windows 10 it seemed.

Windows Update process was also slow.

3. I updated Samsung Magician 4.6 manually (for my SSD)

4. I noticed that audio output was very less. I have to put volume to 100% to get the same level I would get at 30-40% with Windows 7.

Then I noticed that Windows Update was able to find a RealTek driver for me. I thought 'lucky me' and updated that (again slow process).

After a reboot, I can barely hear the audio. So, the drivers are definitely not working properly.

The output from headphones is just normal though. I am not sure why the speaker output has gone down so drastically.

Not used the system much, but it does seem to be slower than Windows 7.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 02:00

I had similar problem. Mine was really loud then no sound at all.

I uninstalled driver, then it came back.

I tried to install the default driver from dell website but the new version was still there

I went to device manager deleted the driver and asked it to not keep a copy of the driver it came back after restart.

I then went to device manager chose update driver, then selected browse my computer, then selected let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, then have disk, then pointed to c:\dell\drivers\r199965\vista 64\hdxdell.inf . That fixed the problem. 

August 3rd, 2015 04:00

Hi,
same problem here and used similar solution. In device manager, after selected update driver, I clicked to pick from a list of device drivers on the computer. With the flag on "show compatible hardware", I chose High Definition Audio Device. Now the sound is good.

August 3rd, 2015 11:00

This is perfect- Simone.

Today, I downloaded the latest drivers from RealTek Tiwan. That did not help at all.

After reading you post, it took less than 30 seconds to fix this problem.

We just need to select HD Audio Device. Windows 10 gives out a warning saying "driver not tested, blah blah". Just went ahead and the sound is back to its full glory.

Proud to have been helpful, but I hope someone find the right driver. Ciao

67 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 11:00

This is perfect- Simone.

Today, I downloaded the latest drivers from RealTek Tiwan. That did not help at all.

After reading you post, it took less than 30 seconds to fix this problem.

We just need to select HD Audio Device. Windows 10 gives out a warning saying "driver not tested, blah blah". Just went ahead and the sound is back to its full glory.

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 17:00

I'm having the same problem, and I've taken similar steps to resolve it

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 11th, 2015 13:00

I'd advise Clean Reinstalling Windows 10 so there are no conflicts from old system drivers with those inbuilt into Windows 10:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Since you have already upgraded, start on step 4.

67 Posts

August 14th, 2015 22:00

I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the same desktop to see what happens.

Guess what - it uses the same Realtek drivers and the sound is barely audible. 

So, I selected the HD driver and the sound is back to normal.

Confirmed that the drivers coming in via Windows update and also 2.79 on Realtek's website - are both not good.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

Thanks Karolydi.

Without selecting "not keep a copy of the driver" at deinstallation the Windows driver (or in case the latest Realtek driver was installed) these driver always will be re-installed again. But with not keeping a copy the old Windows (Dell) Vista driver (R19965) is accepted and installed.

Now the sound level is normal again. Already under Win 8.1 I had the same problem when Win update installed  newer driver this summer (sound level becomes very low)  . But under Win 8.1 I just could select to fall back to the previous driver. This option is not available at a fresh installed/upgraded Windows 10 istallation.

12 Posts

September 5th, 2015 12:00

Someone has tried windows 10 with a ssd drive?I have always feezes, i thought it was graphic card, but after substituing it the problem remains.I think it could be a ahci driver mode issue.

67 Posts

September 7th, 2015 01:00

I have done both - an upgrade - and a clean install on my XT435MT. 

I am using an SSD as the OS drive.

See my post from 14 August.

6 Posts

September 7th, 2015 07:00

I had this problem when I first installed my ssd. The first problem was Intel raid drivers. When the program was running on the tray it would slow down my computer. After that I usually did not have many issues, but had a few times. I plugged the ssd in the first SATA port ( sata 0 I think), disconnected the sd card reader and dvd drive and also in the usb settings for all hard drives I disabled all the power saving features. After that I didn't have any issues. Hope one of those things help

1 Message

September 21st, 2015 18:00

Thanks! Worked for me.

No Events found!