Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2010 17:00

XPS 435T/9000 ATX Compatible

As the subject says, are these computers completely ATX compatible as to Motherboards, wiring hookups ect. ect.

Already know Power Supply no problem as to already upgraded to 850W from 475W.

Is there anything still Dell propriety only??

Other than locked BIOS.

Thanks

Later:emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 19:00

Irocing 

Both the case and motherboard have proprietary features and there is undocumented wiring and pinouts from the motherboard to the front panel.

Bev.

288 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

Yes there are numerous connection problems most notably with the front panel connector and fan connectors. This is not really a good idea unless you are good with electronics and a volt meter. Good Luck.

98 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

So what you are saying is that if I use an aftermarket motherboard in my Dell XPS case there will be front panel connections that are not ATX standard and could cause damage to the new motherboard?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 10:00

So what you are saying is that if I use an aftermarket motherboard in my Dell XPS case there will be front panel connections that are not ATX standard and could cause damage to the new motherboard?

z06psi

Yes, that's what I was saying, plus if a non-Dell motherboard is used, add a new retail, or OEM copy of windows to the budget, as Dell's OEM copies of windows are tied to their BIOS and will not activate.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 12:00

z06psi

Yep, buying a new standard ATX case would be the better solution, instead of trying to use the Dell case.

This is one of the reasons, why I built my new system last year, based on the AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor, Antec Three Hundred illusion case, Gigabyte motherboard, Antec EA 650w PSU, 6gb of RAM, Windows 7 Premium 64-bit and 2 1tb SATA hard drives, instead of buying from Dell. 

Bev.

98 Posts

Got that part and bought a new copy of Win 7 to go with it.  Here is my predicament. The FoxxCon MB does not support SATA 3GBS as well as Crossfire so I wanted to replace the MB with an Intel Pro.  I guess I will just buy a new case and gut my 3 month old XPS 8000.  What a shame and Dell you are horrible  when it comes to enthusiasts.

46 Posts

Well, if true, that pretty well answers what I was going to do with my XPS 435T/9000 setup.

Was going to get the ASUS P6X58D or Rampage motherboard and transfer all the components over to it.

The only thing I like about this setup is the(Case), and is large enough to handle any motherboard I believe.

As to OS, was going to get Win 7 anyway from Vista so that was in the budget anyway.

What gets me,last year, (I Specificaly asked about the Bios) as was going to OC if I wanted to and was told, (No Problem!):emotion-21:

Knew about the single Video card slot as was just going to upgrade to the best card out there instead of Crossfire or Sli.

For 300.00 to $350.00 plus OS could have turned XPS9000 into a nice rig.

Burn me once, Your fault!

Burn me twice, My fault!

Won't happen again.:emotion-2:

Later:emotion-5:

98 Posts

Yeah I know and I usually build my own system as well but got a great deal on this one and liked the look.  I have gotten lazy lately and gaming creep has happened and I have replaced darn near everything except the MB in this system. I have a spare case laying around and maybe I will convert everything over to it and then figure this wiring out with another cheap power supply and throw everything back in after I re pin some things. It is amazing that a MB vendor (Foxxconn) would build proprietary boards just to satisfy Dell's quest for no gain against enthusiasts.  What does Dell gain by this?  Nothing!  If I replace the motherboard and I have to buy another copy of Win 7 then the warranty is void regardless.

46 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 13:00

Hadn't thought about the voltage issues on the front pin outs and just splicing could take care of that.

Figured motherboard standoff holes in case could be drilled even if Dell propriety issues there also.

Don't know what differences would be as to 8000 and XPS9000 pin outs would be.

Really like the Case, even over most of the higher end cases out there, Li lan, Coolmaster, Antec ect. ect.

Will continue to research this and maybe someone will work it out with out to much hassle. Good project:emotion-21:

Years ago on first Dell, XPSR400, Was told in no uncertain terms by Dell, (Could Not) upgrade processor. (We Did):emotion-4:

First to 750, then 1000 and finally to 1400mhz.

Still have that old warrior, and still ticking for older games on Win98se:emotion-21:

Another possible option would be for DELL to offer a (Totally) unlocked BIOS as to CPU & Memory with a signed waiver

for say, $200.00 as per the AlienWare fiasco. Could live with that. Thats going to happen:emotion-5:

Will keep after it.

And to the above poster, (DID Research It) Just should not have asked Dell!

(zo6psi), You own a Vette?

Running the XFD 5770 1.250v/1050CPU/1450Memory/Stable under Furmark at 68c/fan 70% under load. GOOD Overclocker.

Heat sinks on back memory chips and extra fan blowing across it.

Waiting for the New Cards to come out.

Later:emotion-1:

288 Posts

There's nothing here that a little upfront research would not have prevented. No seroius gamer is going to use a Dell supplied pc, as the upgrade path will never exist. When you buy a Dell your pretty much locked into that configuration other than memory or minor cpu upgrades. It's Dells strategy to sell you a new computer rather than have you upgrade since there is no real money in selling pc hardware especially at Dell prices. The Dell market is for the computer novice to intermediate user and large corporate base who wish for price and support over enthusiast measures. Dell is very good at what they do but after all its hard to please everyone so please the majority.

98 Posts

I feel you.

I am rocking an ASUS EAH5870 OC'ed to 1.2V 950 core and 1250 shader clock but would like the option of putting in another one when the time comes.  Dell will never offer anything like this in their computers so why not allow people to modify their systems if they so choose.  Obviously knowing that warranty would be void.

46 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 14:00

Thought so, including the psi part.

87 Iroc showcar here, 396sb,MR,Coilover,ect and on and on.

Only 576HP on Motor and 680 on Giggle.

[quote user="Irocing"]

Yep.  850 h.p. supercharged 2002 Z06.

[/quote]

98 Posts

Yep.  850 h.p. supercharged 2002 Z06.

98 Posts

These rules don't apply to me because I also take a 50,000 dollar Corvette and modify it to the point of no return as well.   LOL

98 Posts

March 25th, 2010 08:00

Just some FYI for all.  The XPS 8000 is fully uATX compatible. This includes the motherboard mounting, FP electrical connections, USB headers, Audio headers, and wiring to the power supply.

No Events found!