Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2009 15:00

XPS 435T: Installing Dell's Update to Creative Labs- Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound Card

Does anyone know how to install this update from Dell' Drivers & Downloads support?

The update is about 285 MB in size. After unzipping it becomes 331 MB.

This update has a Dell file name of: R222884   and a release date of August 14, 2009.

After unzipping this download, the installation of the upgrade is not clear.  Dell's notes are to follow the instructions on the screen.  That is when the problem starts.

When one runs the setup.exe in the unzipped folder: R222884, one gets an installation wizard, who asks for one of four choices:  Add, Remove, Repair, Remove All.

This is not your typical update where the installation wizard finds your old files and updates them with new files.

Has any one figured out how to install this Dell update, R222884?

August 24th, 2009 03:00

I've never installed that exact file, but have seen the wizard come up before.  The easiest thing is to make a system restore point, then run repair if the device has already been installed previously.  If that doesn't work, then remove all and start over from scratch.  If it's still giving you issues then you may want to delete the card from Device Manager and run a scan for hardware changes to reload everything from scratch.

GLTY

3 Posts

August 24th, 2009 17:00

I also have a 435t but with X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E.  My current drivers for the card are 6.10.0.209 and were downloaded through Windows Update.  I have been trying for a month to update my sound card drivers.  After many headaches and BSODs later I finally found out you cannot update drivers from Creative's website because our sound cards are OEM that require drivers supplied by Dell.  To my surprise there is finally a driver update on the support page. I download audio update R222887.  WORST MISTAKE!  I have had nothing but issues with the new update.  For starters when I ran the exe file it was not your normal Dell update.  I choose "add" install from the selection.  The software kept asking me to choose a directory where the creative files were located.  Tried the CD, files and directories, nothing worked.  I click cancel and it starts installing something.  It asks for a reboot and when Vista loads back up I have NO SOUND, Creative Console Launcher is gone and Windows is displaying a registry error message.  Vista restore didn't fix it so I had to do a factory reset!  Can someone from Dell supply your customers with the proper drivers/instructions for your OEM Creative X-Fi sound cards?  PLEASE

3 Posts

August 25th, 2009 14:00

DELL?  Anyone...

3 Posts

August 29th, 2009 14:00

* BUMP *

This really is annoying and requires Dell's attention.

7 Posts

September 19th, 2009 17:00

Installation Question - Solved!

The short answer is: Choose the fourth option and let the downloaded program un-install all of the old SoundBlaster files.  Reboot as instructed.  After the re-boot, the update will start loading.

The long answer:

0) Make sure your computer is a stable running machine. 

1) Do a CHKDSK and a Defragmentation of your C-drive, before starting this upgrade. And please do a full backup of your C-drive (just in case).

2) Make sure you have the SoundBlaster SB0883 CD that came with your computer (just in case something goes wrong). The SoundBlaster circuit board installed in the Dell machine is an OEM circuit board, that is, it is made by SoundBlaster for Dell. Hence, the model number is SB0883 and not SB0880, if the circuit board was purchased from SoundBlaster.

3) Start the upgrade by "clicking" on "Setup.exe" in the un-zipped folder for Dell's download "R222884".

4) When presented with the four options, select the fourth option to un-install all of the old SoundBlaster software.  This is a scary step because there is a lot of CPU activity, as the old files are removed. Stay calm!

5) You will be asked to re-boot your computer when the un-installation is completed.

6) Re-boot your computer (or allow your computer to re-boot).

7) After the re-boot, you will see the Creative (SoundBlaster) installation screen.  [ No longer are you asked for a disc or a folder].

8) Choose one of the installation types that you want. If you choose the "custom" installation, you can select what you want installed.

9) The installation takes a bit of time. Let it carry on, until completion.

10) After the installation is finished, log off and restart again, just to give your computer a fresh start-up.

11) If you do not hear any sound after this update is installed, put in an audio CD and go through the new programs installed.  There may be a volume control setting that is set to off or zero. ( In my case, I initially had no audio, but I eventually found a volume control setting that was set too low).

12) The installed upgrade is a good piece of software.

13) After the upgrade is installed, defragment your computer once more to have a fast, smooth running machine.

No Events found!