Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2010 12:00

XPS 435T, doesn't boot with new graphic card.

I recently installed an ATI4890 on my new XPS, works ok. yesterday, when i turn on the machine, it doesn't boot. black screen, yellow light blinking, beep 6 times in a row. I thought it's the graphic card problem, but when i put the card on my other desktop, it works fine.

later, i tried my 9600GT on XPS, same problem, doesn't boot. 9600GT runs on my other desktop as well.

So far, the only card i can use to boot is 310. it seems XPS wouldn't run with any graphic card that needs extra power supply, but even when i use 4890/9600GT without power cable, it still doesn't boot.  Can anyone tell me what the cause could be ? I'm very confusing now.

Thank you!

1.7K Posts

April 29th, 2010 13:00

By reading what you said then, you did connect the PCIe power cables to each card.  I believe the 9600 GT requires one and the HD 4890 requires two which you should have on this system.  I will assume that the Nvidia 310 came with your system and I can understand wanting to upgrade from this card.  Did you completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers before putting in the HD 4890 and installing the ATI drivers?  There are some instructions for doing this at the top of the video forum and when changing over from Nvidia to ATI, it is recommended that you use Driver Sweeper as stated.  The system has a 475 watt power supply so this is more than enough for the 9600 GT and should be plenty for the HD 4890 also.  I would double check all your connections and do the driver installation again as you may have gotten a corrupt driver install.  Get the latest drivers directly from ATI's web site.  I would not want to be stuck with the 310 in a nice system like you have.  Obviously, you can use better video cards since even Dell offers the GTX 260 and HD 5870 cards both requiring additional power from your PSU. 

3 Posts

April 30th, 2010 20:00

Thank you. I'll try uninstall the NVidia drive, but i do have installed the latest driver for ATI. the desktop actually ran couple of days with 4890. now the problem is i can't even boot with 4890. System doesn't recognize any graphic card. Can't really get to point to play around with different drivers. it's really annoying that i'm stuck with 310 now. Could it be the motherboard or PSU problem?

No Events found!