Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2009 15:00

XPS 435T integrated wireless

All,

I am not sure if this has already been covered as the search function for this forum seems pretty poor.  Anyway, we just received our new XPS 435T computer.  During the ordering under the Wireless section, we selected "Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet".

My assumption is that this would provide a wireless connection option as it was under the "Wireless" customizing option.  However, I am having some issues setting up the wireless connection (mainly because I don't think it exists). 

My question is: Does this option allow for a wireless network connection?  If so, how do I set it up?  If not, what I my best options for adding a wireless network card?

Thanks,

Casey

Thanks for the reply.  I was afraid of that.  In our haste to order the computer we did not fully think it through as it was under the wireless upgrades option list.

Follow-up question.  Would it matter if we got the 802.11n wireless card if our router is only 802.11g?  I am assuming (again) that the N-wireless card would be able to pick up the g signals but I would not see the boost until I replaced the router.

Thanks,

Casey

155 Posts

No, you will need a PCI-Express (PCIe) wireless adapter card in order to set up a wireless connection. I have a D-Link DWA-556 Extreme N, which does the job well and costs about $65. For some reason they are a bit hard to find now, but there are many others, generally in the $45-$65 range. 802.11n is significantly faster than 802.11g, and has a better range.

Bob N.

165 Posts

August 4th, 2009 16:00

as far as I know (based on using dell busines computers), what you need to do is:

1) look at your invoice/packing slip to identify the actual components that were shipped to you,

and/or

2) get the Dell Service Tag from your PC, then go to the support.dell.com web site and look at the "original component" list.

You could also call Dell Tech Support (or log onto their web chat), and ask them to look up the components.

155 Posts

August 4th, 2009 16:00

Yes, it should work with your 802.11g router, and when you upgrade to a 802.11n router you will see the big jump in speed. I have a D-Link DIR-655 and regularly connect wirelessly at 28-33 Mbps with a Time-Warner  RoadRunner Turbo connection, which seems incredibly fast to me.

Bob N.

No Events found!