Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2008 14:00

XPS 630 General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this thread linked in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 630 hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

141 Posts

November 15th, 2008 21:00

1.0.10 - XPS630i-010010.EXE
* Enhance QX9650 CPU support
* Implement BIOS WAR for windows flash issue
* Fix: The value of CPU N/2 ratio & multiplier item is incorrect after clear CMOS
* Fix: Sometimes CMOS reset with QX9650 when doing warm boot cycle
* Fix: BSOD issue with QX9650

1.0.11 - XPS630i-010011.EXE
* Fix: BSOD issue with Yorkfield CPUs
* Set all Yorkfield CPUs GTLREF1 voltage from 740mv to 770mV
* Set C0 stepping QX9650's GTLREF1 voltage from 740mv to 750mV

1.0.12 - XPS630i-010012.EXE
* Enhance System stability
* Fix: Set Serial-ATA Controller item to hide
* SBIOS workaround for memory timing parameter violation on S3 entry. (OBSD version: 5.084.02)
* Fix: System will hang up when run S3/S4 cycle
* Fix: Show wrong RAID string information for 1TB HDD in both PopUp menu and Setup

5 Posts

November 15th, 2008 22:00

Hi Chris.

I uninstalled factory dell ati driver came with factory recovery then installed latest Dell ati hd4850 driver which is realesed 11.14.2008.

Oh I already updated bios to latest version.

During the dell ati hd4850 installation, it says error message.

I reinstalled couple of times but still got same error message. could you check that driver?

and I also need dell ati hd4850 driver come with factory recovery. I can't find that driver at dell driver site.

I'm gonna do factory recovery again. it'll be the 4th time since I got my 630 1 week ago.

I want it to be done.....no more crossfire issue, no more driver issue, no more annoying problem from 630.

Thanks.

370 Posts

November 16th, 2008 10:00

1.0.10 - XPS630i-010010.EXE
* Enhance QX9650 CPU support
* Implement BIOS WAR for windows flash issue
* Fix: The value of CPU N/2 ratio & multiplier item is incorrect after clear CMOS
* Fix: Sometimes CMOS reset with QX9650 when doing warm boot cycle
* Fix: BSOD issue with QX9650

1.0.11 - XPS630i-010011.EXE
* Fix: BSOD issue with Yorkfield CPUs
* Set all Yorkfield CPUs GTLREF1 voltage from 740mv to 770mV
* Set C0 stepping QX9650's GTLREF1 voltage from 740mv to 750mV

1.0.12 - XPS630i-010012.EXE
* Enhance System stability
* Fix: Set Serial-ATA Controller item to hide
* SBIOS workaround for memory timing parameter violation on S3 entry. (OBSD version: 5.084.02)
* Fix: System will hang up when run S3/S4 cycle
* Fix: Show wrong RAID string information for 1TB HDD in both PopUp menu and Setup

Chris-Mixon,

Thank you very much for the more detailed BIOS updates information.

I don't understand why Dell doesn't publish this kind of info on the support page with the new updated drivers and BIOS files.

November 20th, 2008 14:00

This "XPS 630 General Hardware Discussion thread" is no substitute for the old dedicated XPS forum.  I know it's a work-around and it's well-intentioned.  Still, I see fewer XPS posts on the whole community forum.  Dell needs to seriously rethink this revision.  You're driving up your own support costs.  People who might have gotten an answer from the old forum through long-time contributors will give up with this new forum and simply call Dell Tech Support in India six times.

Regards.  

139 Posts

November 21st, 2008 09:00

Well, I like the old forums a lot better.  Easier to find information, easier to sort posts, and easier to jump to unread posts.  Oh well.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2008 16:00

XPS 630i.  Have run out of USB ports.  I have a part sent with the computer that is a backplate insert with 4 USB ports with two sets of wires, one for each two ports.  Also has two blue plugs with 9 holes each.  Anyone know how to hook this up to the motherboard?  Thanks

November 24th, 2008 18:00

I don't know what was changed for v1.0.12; however, under v1.0.08, my 630i was getting the odd bsod when my cisco vpn client would connect-- a condition that hasn't happened since updating to v1.0.12.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2008 08:00

I purchased an XPS 630i in July of this year.  It has been running fine until the last couple of times I have used it.  I have been playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW) and Assassin's Creed (AC).  Both worked fine until two days ago.  I was playing AC for about 5 minutes and then the whole unit froze up.  The sound cylces on the last sound played and there is no response from any keystrokes or mouse actions.  CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing.  The only solution is to hard boot it.  Upon reboot, the system hangs at the DELL XPS 630i splash screen and I have to hit the power button again.  Instead of the delayed shut down this immediately shuts off the system.  Upon pressing the power button again, the unit boots normally through to the "Start Windows in Safe Mode" screen.  I started "Normally" and tried the game again.  It froze again.  I repeated the above and this time I went to System Restore, with the intent of restoring it back to  when I knew the system worked fine.  I did a system restore, updated windows, and played the game again...same thing...it froze after a few minutes of gameplay.  I restarted and restored again.  Then I tried GRAW and had the same effect.  Okay two games down, now to contact Windows.  After rebooting and restoring again, and updating Windows again, I decided to see if Vista had a known flaw for hanging during games.  I was working in the Windows Active X control dialogue box on the Windows Web site in order to send them an e-mail with my problem, and it froze again.  Now I know that there can be video card problems (and yes, all my drivers are up to date) when playing a game, but now the unit had frozen while doing something relatively mundane, like using IE.  I suspect that there are other issues here than the games themselves, or the video card.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Any suggestions?

Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4 GHz, 1066 FSB
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Vista Hom Premium

141 Posts

December 1st, 2008 11:00

I would save time and just start over. Backup your data to a USB key or burn it to a CDR. Reinstall the operating system, drivers, and then only the Critical Updates from Microsoft. Then, check the XPS 630 out.

145 Posts

December 6th, 2008 06:00

I purchased an XPS 630i in July of this year.  It has been running fine until the last couple of times I have used it.  I have been playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW) and Assassin's Creed (AC).  Both worked fine until two days ago.  I was playing AC for about 5 minutes and then the whole unit froze up.  The sound cylces on the last sound played and there is no response from any keystrokes or mouse actions.  CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing.  The only solution is to hard boot it.  Upon reboot, the system hangs at the DELL XPS 630i splash screen and I have to hit the power button again.  Instead of the delayed shut down this immediately shuts off the system.  Upon pressing the power button again, the unit boots normally through to the "Start Windows in Safe Mode" screen.  I started "Normally" and tried the game again.  It froze again.  I repeated the above and this time I went to System Restore, with the intent of restoring it back to  when I knew the system worked fine.  I did a system restore, updated windows, and played the game again...same thing...it froze after a few minutes of gameplay.  I restarted and restored again.  Then I tried GRAW and had the same effect.  Okay two games down, now to contact Windows.  After rebooting and restoring again, and updating Windows again, I decided to see if Vista had a known flaw for hanging during games.  I was working in the Windows Active X control dialogue box on the Windows Web site in order to send them an e-mail with my problem, and it froze again.  Now I know that there can be video card problems (and yes, all my drivers are up to date) when playing a game, but now the unit had frozen while doing something relatively mundane, like using IE.  I suspect that there are other issues here than the games themselves, or the video card.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Any suggestions?

Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4 GHz, 1066 FSB
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Vista Hom Premium

I would definitely try what chris mentioned and if possible do a factory reinstall.  Could be nvidia driver issues.  I normally don't upgrade them when ever new ones come out unless i'm having problems.

Sometimes the new drivers are unstable or buggy with older games.

1 Message

December 11th, 2008 11:00

what is the process to upgrade xps 630i from vista home premium 32 bit to 64bit?

168 Posts

December 11th, 2008 19:00

Hi,

I just bought a xpx 630i with vista 64 installed , when i go to the Dell support center drivers it does not give me a vista 64 choice, just xp32 and vista 32.

Even my dimension 9200 before upgrading to vista 64 gave me the choice.

Any idia why?

Claude

29 Posts

December 12th, 2008 13:00

Hello

I Just Purchased a XPS630i And It Has A E8400 Processor And Dual 8800gt Sli.

My Question Is I Have A Q6700 Processor And A Single GTX 280 Should I Replace The

Processor And Video Card Or Is What It Comes With A Better Match?

Thanks For The Help And Input! What About Overclocking? 

145 Posts

December 13th, 2008 14:00

If you overclock the q6700 with the dual 8800gt, you should be fine.  Due to current limitations with the PCIE lanes a single 280 may perform worse than the dual 8800gt.  But don't take my word for it.  You should try things out for yourself and see.  I think SLI on this system is the way to go.  Either way, if you have either CPUs overclocked with the SLI 8800gt you are going to be better off than the single 280 with either CPU.

29 Posts

December 14th, 2008 17:00

Thanks For The Input! What About The 280 In SLI? How Would The Computer Handle It With The Stock PSU?

I Am Kind Of New To This , What Kind Of Limitations Are You Talking About With The PCIE Lanes?

Thanks For The Help!

No Events found!