player8
2 Iron

Re: XPS 630 General Hardware Discussion thread

I'm having problems installing the 9800gt drivers from dell's drivers page for the xps 630.  I keep getting an error message saying the driver can't find compatible hardware.  The installer then exits.

I'm using the ones from nvidia 180.48 but i have a feeling they are causing me to have sli issues.  Any reason why I can't install the dell recommended drivers.

Thanks

Larryhog
2 Iron

I can no longer erase bios files I have downloaded in the past.  My computer came with version 1.02.  I have since downloaded version 8 and 12 and updated to version 8.  And I have version 2,8 and 12 on my desktop.  But now when I try to delete the bios files I get an error message that says can not delete the file as it is open in another program.  It is not a major issue if I can not delete the files but I am afraid to update to bios version 12 since it says the file is opened in another program.   ( This all started when I called tech support when I could not use more then one flash drive.  Tech support said vista has a problem recognizing more then one flash drive.  The support tech changed something in the registry and now the computer recognizes all my flash drives but as stated above will not let me delete bios files off my desktop.  Also it will not let me delete bios files I have backed up on my flash drives.  I have also tried downloading the bios files again after they changed my registry and it will not let me delete those files either.)  I have called tech support back and they can not find a way to get the computer to let me delete the files.  What I wonder is the tech support guy downloaded bios 12 while he was opening up files to work on the flash drive problem.  I am wondering if he somehow got the files tied to some program?      As I said above my concern is not that I can not delete the files but I am afraid to update to version 12 while it says it is opened in another program.  Is this something  to be concerned about?  I guess I could reset the computer to factory settings but this was one of the earlier 630's and it took forever to get all the updates installed plus I will be back to not being able to use all my flash drives. 

Chris_Mixon
2 Iron

player8,
I would run Driver Sweeper first to remove the older driver, then install the newer driver.

Larryhog,
Boot into safe mode and see if you can delete the files.

kevink37
2 Iron

I'm having problems installing the 9800gt drivers from dell's drivers page for the xps 630.  I keep getting an error message saying the driver can't find compatible hardware.  The installer then exits.

I'm using the ones from nvidia 180.48 but i have a feeling they are causing me to have sli issues.  Any reason why I can't install the dell recommended drivers.

Thanks

I would install the latest release from Nvidia.  The Dell drivers tend to be a little old.  Use driver sweeper to get rid of any of the old driver files.

Larryhog
2 Iron

I tried deleting the bios files in safe mode and got same message that the files are opened in another program. (From what i remember the tech guys tried this plus numerous other things to delete the files).  I guess back to my main question-  would I be safe in opening the version 12 bios file and updating it while it says it is open in another program or am I likely asking for trouble if I do this?  Of course this is assuming it will even let me open it to update it.

player8
2 Iron

Well, even with driversweeper i can't install the dell drivers so i went with nvidia's latest.  180.48. 

As for the bios, i haven't tried deleting the one i just updated to 1.0.12.  But try installing it and see if it complains about being opened by another program.  If not then i think you should be ok.

JRosenfeld
5 Rhenium

To see what is locking those files, use unlocker (free very useful utility). You can also use it to unlock and delete the files.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST THIS

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

Larryhog
2 Iron

Thanks for the responses.  I downloaded the unlocker and it lets me delete the bios files.    I still do not know what other program the file is suppose to be open in.    When I run unlocker I get:

Process:                               Path Locked:                                                               Process  path:                                                                             

Explorer.exe                         C:\user\larry\desktop\xps630i-010012.exe                 c:\windows\explorer.exe

So I just deleted the bios files I had on my system and downloaded another copy.  Same thing happens.  I can not delete it without unlocker as it says it is opened in another program.     So I am not back to where I started- afraid to update to bios 12 since it says it is opened in another program.

JRosenfeld
5 Rhenium

What unlocker is telling you is that it is Windows Explorer that is locking the file. Just let unlocker unlock it, then you should be OK to run it.

THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST THIS. THIS IS REALLY TEDIOUS

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

Highlighted
Larryhog
2 Iron

I do not mean to be a pain with this but still having problems.   When I open up the file with unlocker I use the button that says to unlock all and no action is listed in the botton left hand corner then it takes me back to the desktop.  At that point I can not delete the file manually as it continunes to say it is open in another program so I am assuming it has not unlocked anything.  When I go back and open up the file again in unlocker it still shows the file is locked.   Looking at the directions on the download site it says if that happens to check delete in the bottom left hand corner.  When I do that and then click on unlock all it deletes the file.  What am I missing here?