kevink37
2 Iron

Re: XPS 630 General Hardware Discussion thread

Windows 7 does recognize the exFat format on the thumbdrive, the problem is, the PC won't get past the dell splash screen during the bios post if the exFat formatted thumbdrive is plugged in during power on.  The progress bar only gets about half way then freezes.  When the thumbdrive is formatted to NTFS, and is plugged in during power on, it starts up normally.

Kevin

0 Kudos
JRosenfeld
5 Rhenium

Then it must be the BIOS that does not recognise the exFAT format of the USB drive, and so does not know what to do about it and stops. I assume you have the last BIOS firmware issued for the 630, rev. 13.  Not many people use exFAT even now and it was hardly known about when the 630 came out, so probably it has not been taken into account in the BIOS firmware. Since the 630 has been taken off the market, I doubt that Dell would consider issuing a new update. But you could ask them.

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

0 Kudos
Adrien.Scaggs
1 Nickel

{$content}

Could you explain it more clearly? Where is its documentation? I'm a beginner.
0 Kudos
stonaday
1 Copper

Hi. I have a Dell XPS 630i which has strangely stopped on the BIOS screen. I'm currently using the most current BIOS and when I turned it on for the second time this morning, the BIOS halts as the blue progress bar is about halfway. It was working earlier this morning - ie I didn't do any hardware or software changes this morning so not much idea on the cause.

I did clean the 2 fans at the front of the case this weekend due to dust but they seem to be running except for making some noise.

Any ideas on what has caused this issue? I'm thinking a hardware fault but not sure what is causing it. I do know know I can still enter the BIOS by pressing F2.

0 Kudos
Manchine
1 Copper

RE: XPS 630 General Hardware Discussion thread

I wanted to update my Desktop  I have an XPS 630.  I would like to upgrade the Processor and the Video Card.  What are the 2 highest ones I can upgrade to?

Thank You for any answers

0 Kudos