This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Post the following -
* Is windows indexing turned off (Y/N)
* What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 15th, 2008 18:00

Under investigation. Much discussion happening here.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-16-2008 11:19 AM

1 Message

June 16th, 2008 00:00

XPS630i........  Win XP Pro

I had the same problem -- HDD light blinking like a heartbeat constantly.  I downloaded and ran Microsoft's File Monitor utility, and guess what?  It wasn't the computer it was the anti virus software I was using (aVast) that was the problem.

aVast AV installs a VRDB utility that builds a database of files so that it can go back and recover the system in case of an infection.  This VRDB utility was the culprit as revealed by File Monitor.

I uninstalled the aVast anti virus and installed AVG.  MY HDD light is perfectly normal now.  I sure recommend that everybody at least try File Monitor from Microsoft before going any further.  It may just reveal something that YOU installed that is causing all the activity.

475 Posts

June 16th, 2008 06:00

Alright, point taken. But, Mine Blinked out of the Box. I have had Optical drive problems. I have had mirror problems. I have random BSOD "Hardware Failure" system halts and on and on. Tech Support wants me "Pop" the side cover and unplug/shutdown/Boot/Shutdown/plugin/boot the cable for the MIO card and "This will definitely fix". I asked For a Service Tech because of the Cable management in my box and they are more than simply "resistent" to the Service tech dispatch. Can anyone help me with why do the MIO defaults need reset? The whole idea has me stumped. Why Should Dell Expect ME to do this? I have already had Sata plugs not fully seated in a previous Tech Support issue. What's next, have ME plug and unplug all connectors to make sure assembly was done correctly?

This is gonna involve customer support as to why I have to do Dell troubleshooting. I don't want to be involved in this problem in any way as to avoid eventual blame as a scapegoat.

Sean

Dell seems to be disingenuous in dealing with any issues. It is becoming a matter of trust.

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 06-16-2008 03:52 AM

4.4K Posts

June 16th, 2008 11:00

Nice to know the cause has been found. That's progress and at least indicates it is a real problem on at least some 630s, including mine, which has also blinked from the start before I loaded any additional software, and no, there is no correlation between the blinking and disc access though, of course, the light also comes on when the disc is being accessed.

I'll wait (im)patiently for the fix :-)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2008 11:00

shdbcamping1,

What's next, have ME plug and unplug all connectors to make sure assembly was done correctly?
* If need be yes. That is standard PC troubleshooting. You open the case and check stuff. We do not send an onsite technician out empty handed to troubleshoot. All they do is replace parts that you and us have verified as not working.

205 Posts

June 16th, 2008 14:00

I think I smell another BIOS update coming.....

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2008 14:00

Under investigation. Much discussion happening here.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-16-2008 11:19 AM

287 Posts

June 16th, 2008 15:00

Please illuminate me,

In the crave-cnet response from Dell in answer to the HDD LED issue this:

"Desbois: No, it's a hardware update; it's physically moving a resistor from one spot to another"

Now it's because the LED is too bright?

155 Posts

June 16th, 2008 16:00

I saw the original post you made Chris_M, please don't make me regret my message in the main XPS forum...I mean the LED is to bright...seriously? Is that what they are going with now? Really??? Should I expect a group of surgeons at my door soon to give me a lobotomy? C'mon!

I find it sadly entertaining that some of the engineering department's "new" ideas for causes to the 630's problems seem to come from the forums here, which is not necessarily a bad thing if they focused on real problems and not conjecture or folks "thinking out loud". It seems to me that the speculation on the forums somehow, magically, become the problem back in the labs much akin to the LightFX 2.0 we were all sold suddenly becoming a "concept". BTW-I have the concept of honesty I'm willing to give away free to the folks over at Dell central. I think the engineers know what problems need to be fixed by now and have collected enough information so maybe it's time to lock them in a room to focus on a fix/resolution to our 630 woes. Okay, I think I have the sarcasm that was building up out of frustration out of my system now...sorry.

Addendum:

Well apparently either Chris_M or another moderator felt it necessary to censor my message left in the main XPS Desktop forum. I am awaiting the supposed notification that was sent outlining why it was removed. For those of you that care I'll repost it elsewhere, you know the place, so that you can read it if you are interested. I'm not really clear on the reason for the censorship so please, enlighten me Chris_M. Is it wrong to thank people for their efforts here? Perhaps it is wrong to offer ways for Dell to improve the damaged relationship with it's customers? I'm sure it's more that Dell doesn't like to be rebuked for it's lacklustre handling of 630 issues. Keep hammering those nails in the coffin folks.

Message Edited by Drange on 06-16-2008 02:07 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2008 21:00

All,

I have four engineers working this. When I have definitive data to release, I will. I know the data released on crave.cnet.com is confusing. At this time, my speculating what we will do is a lose/lose proposition for me since the data is fluid.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

shdbcamping1,

I have no idea what this means?? What are you trying to say?

I still have'nt gotten an "aside " message yet. Don't peeble me off,

475 Posts

I still have'nt gotten an "aside " message yet. Don't peeble me off, you have no idea.

extrordinary times call for extrordinary measures, I'm trying to avoid that.

sean

Will peeble work, Seems easier than trying to "bann" a paying customer from soliciting support where the supplier cannot or will not provide.  finding a "software" reason to eliminate human elimination from posts. What will Our children ever do.

Sean

475 Posts

Let's keep this out of the forum for any respect I still have for Dell. Im sure we can deal with this with you sending me personal message or personal EMail as I KNOW you can get to that. I just spent 9 Hours with Award Winning Tech Support. If you really want to deal with getting help for a Forum, Let's try that approach. I don't want to waste any more time for Customers trying to get answers with Explanation of my bad "answer getting" tech support at this point. There some points I would like to make After being involved with "direct" customer interface for almost 5 years.

And, tell Dell to Quit this "altered data entery scheme" before I really get angry and forget any loyalty . I just got done running Dell's installed system diagnostics so it isn't my machine. is this a function of how many times you have had a post "censured". Let's keep it clean, and not waste these customer's time.

Sean

urination as a human function is a "banned" word on this forum. Just for information, as they don't tell you what's banned. screw was ok once. any other add ins that worked before you were unhappy... post 'em and see if they still work!!! Worked for the third reich.

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 06-16-2008 06:15 PM

475 Posts

check your system Banned messages for the reason for Peebles. As for the "aside" portion, I really don't have the time or energy to keep checking the threads for "banned" Dell words and therefore posts. Personally DR. Seus uses far harsher words than i have been "banned" for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, Dr Seus isn't
banned" from any school that I'm aware of.  Good luck getting around that. Then, he was probably never an unhappy Dell customer.

I still think this conversation would be better kept out of a "waste" their time in hunt for help Forum.

Dell may be good, i'm better. Play nice... you didn't pay. I DID.

sean

475 Posts

June 16th, 2008 22:00

P.s. My conversation "off Forum" would not be an "attack" against Dell. Just some idea exchange about how to diffuse the Volatile customer reaction. If Dell Does not allay... then DECAY. Simple customer relations policy since Christ.

I'm in no way an enemy, yet.

Sean

No Events found!