nicedaveus
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Awesome thank you!
Drange
2 Iron

nicedaveus, sent you a message with info as well.
chembane
1 Nickel

Send me a link as well please...
0 Kudos
tasone
2 Iron

everyone is going to ask got the link,

is their any chance you you just post it for everyone.

thanks

NoPumpGas
1 Nickel

@tasone wrote:

everyone is going to ask got the link,

is their any chance you you just post it for everyone.

thanks

Very true, so here is the info...

I've had good experiences shopping with NewEgg.com, so I used them as an example, here is a link to some Home Office/ Home User devices that plug in between your Cable/DSL Modem and the Network, in some (more expensive) cases, a few have built in Modem and/or Routers, the list grows all the time.

Zyxel and Sonicwall have good reputations, with a price of around 200$ to 400$ but you get a boat load of security functions. Have a look and check it out.

Go out to www.newegg.com and do a search on Zyxel or Sonicwall, sort by ratings. 

I use SONICWALL 01-SSC-6550 TZ 180 Wired at the moment (along with a some others). It has allot for around 300$

Features: Features Standard Features with SonicOS Standard: Multi-threat Protection: Deep Packet Inspection firewall and IPSec VPN Integrated gateway anti-virus, anti-spyware, intrusion prevention and content filtering Comprehensive protection from viruses, spyware, worms, Trojans, adware and other threats Multi-threat protection for all wired and wireless traffic Ease of Use: All-in-One solution Next-Generation streamlined GUI Intuitive configuration wizards  

Dell_Chris_M wrote:

I do know that the operating system is part of the problem - the blinking LED is a normal behavior, when autorun, indexing, scandisk, rolling defrag, antivirus software, memory paging, write cache commit, and more are running in the background processes.

My hdd light never constantly blinked on me before at idle with the software I have on this 630i. I had WinXP on that Dell rig also. When did we implement this new strategy? Can't Ya'll unimplement it so that the light stops blinking?

On a similar topic. What Dell Downloads are for my system for the NVidea stuff? I recall one of Chris' posts having Links to them, but I can't find the post anymore. 1) When Dell updates driver files for download, do they send them to a different directory/path on install? I recall the post as citing an order for the install of the updates as well. 2) What Nvidea ESA entries should I see in "Add/Remove programs" in windowsXP pro control panel? I've heard them described in forums but they were not called what appear in "add/remove programs list. I have only had 3 listed ever. 3) Which should be uninstalled prior to updating the ESA drivers? I don't get the same answer twice from Dell Tech Support calls/chats. 4) I updated my SMBuss drivers and it told me that the directory did't exist and asked if I wanted to create it. I said yes as tech supt said that it was an important driver. 5) I now have only one Listed in my "add/remove programs" Nvidea Drivers with no size and no date or info. I still have the Nvidea section under Windows control panel and the Nvidea control panel opens.

Sean

shdbcamping1,

1) When Dell updates driver files for download, do they send them to a different directory/path on install?
* Should be identical to the old ones.

2) What Nvidea ESA entries should I see in "Add/Remove programs" in windowsXP pro control panel?
* NVIDIA Drivers (video card)
* NVIDIA Forceware Network Access Manager
* NVIDIA Performance (ESA)
* NVIDIA nVMonitor (ESA)
* NVIDIA System Update (ESA)

3) Which should be uninstalled prior to updating the ESA drivers?
* SMBus INF for MCP51 & MCP55 and the nVidia Network.

4) I updated my SMBuss drivers and it told me that the directory did't exist and asked if I wanted to create it. I said yes as tech supt said that it was an important driver.
* It should have been there unless you previously removed it.

5) I now have only one Listed in my "add/remove programs" Nvidea Drivers with no size and no date or info.
* Normal. That is what mine is listed as also.

This is the order to load the Nvidia stuff. You restart the PC after loading each one -
Bios 1.0.5
SMBus INF for MCP51 & MCP55
nVidia Network
nVidia MediaShield Driver
nVidia MediaShield Application
8800 GT
nVidia ESA Performance
nVidia ESA System Update
nVidia ESA nVMonitor
NoPumpGas
1 Nickel

My XPS came in the other day and I have done some testing, here are the FACTORY specs first:

XPS 630i

Vista 32 Premium

BIOS 1.0.5

1 HD 500 GB

4 GB 800 RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2

I changed the colors around on the system and didn't seem to have any issue, even after reboot. The fans run pretty darn quiet I must say.

The HD light doesn't blink that much. But just so you know, I turned off Windows Restore (I use Acronis Backup instead), disabled Windows Defender and have no AntiVirus Software running.

So, I've had it up and running for about 24hrs now, rebooted it several times. So far so good. 

BTW

If your looking for some good tweaks, check out www.blackviper.com

DELL-Chris_M,
     Thanks for the reply. I have a resource cd/dvd coming from Tech Support. Something just doesn't seem right with the system and I will attempt to return the drivers to shipped original box setup. Do you know what an XP service tag should bring up for default OS at the Dell Drivers download page? Mine brings up Vista if I am logged into my account with my service tag. If i go there not logged into my account the default is XP. I do not know if this matters but it does seem odd to me.
     Is there a Dell procedure/order for loading a system from scratch? If so I would like to have it, as Driver sequence can cause problems if no done in the correct order. I have a few remaining questions that may help me in my hunt:
1) Do the Dell drivers remove their directories when uninstalled? I have uninstalled the nvidea drivers, Monitor and performance. When I reinstalled as Dell Tech Support asked, I did not get a Directory exists window as I expected. I got a do you want to create window.
2) Would it be normal for my xp control panel to have only ever had entries for Nvidea Drivers, Performance, and Monitor? you listed 5 and the other 2 were never there as an entry.
3) where do I find the SMBus INF to uninstall it? The network is not an entry in XP add remove on my box. Is there another way to uninstall it?
    Thanks in advance. The more i see these oddities (at least to me), the more I wonder if my instability is due to a bad system load. I have run Dell hardware diagnostics with no faults found except the 3700:011b for cpu fan speed incorrect. Since reinstalling the Performance portion I lost my dvd for installing/playing games that installed after I uninstalled performance prior. However, I again uninstalled the performance and did not regain my dvd drive(or virtual drives).
    I do not know when the resource disc will arrive, but I will tinker and post any observations. Any helpful hints in rebuilding drivers would be much appreciated.
Sean
Highlighted
Davet50
6 Indium

Dell procedure to reinstall driver

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003