This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Post the following -
* Is windows indexing turned off (Y/N)
* What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

201 Posts

August 20th, 2008 23:00

I think you have been staring at it too long hehe.

72 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 11:00

@RedRepublik wrote:

Hi All,

Should I really be worried, I currently have a 630 on order, should I cancel while payment is waiting to be processed and order something different.

I am far from computer literate and I am not sure I would be able to carry out these short term fixes described in this thread.

This PC is a significant investment for me and the last thing I need is problems from day one

Regards and any advice would be appreciated

John

I wouldn't worry if I were you.  Your computer should have the latest BIOS and software that has fixed most of the issues.  It's a great computer for the money.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2008 11:00

Hi All,

Should I really be worried, I currently have a 630 on order, should I cancel while payment is waiting to be processed and order something different.

I am far from computer literate and I am not sure I would be able to carry out these short term fixes described in this thread.

This PC is a significant investment for me and the last thing I need is problems from day one

Regards and any advice would be appreciated

John

28 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 16:00

Turning off the CD auto-run option in the registry solved this issue on my 630.

123 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 18:00

No not at all, I just got mine a few days ago and I love it!

475 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 04:00

RedRepublik,
you asked:

If these statements are in fact true, my advice is Yes to be worried...YES to cancel... and Yes to order something different.

My recommendation would be the XPS420. I like it much better than the 630i i also had. I don't see any performance difference as a user. It might lag on a couple of benchmark tests but nothing that I have been able to notice. I have a lot of computer experience and the 630i gave me fits (not saying that they are all bad). My 420 is out of box perfect so far and cheaper, Hope this helps.

Sean

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 08-23-2008 01:15 AM

August 24th, 2008 18:00

i just bought XPS 630i and I have Windows Vista Ultimate and it is perfect works great and no problems whatsoever with Vista. I have had XP Home for a long time and I think Vista is much better. No conflicts whatsoever. I have had this computer almost a month.
Message Edited by mikeonthebike on 08-24-2008 02:14 PM
Message Edited by mikeonthebike on 08-24-2008 02:14 PM

213 Posts

October 13th, 2008 03:00

That lil white light got annoying for a while, then went and bought some red fingernail polish and took care of that glaring strobe light. Took about 3 or 4 coats to dim it down.

Don't know why Dell didn't add the LightFX color-changing to the Power and HDD Light too...

Since upgrading to 64 bit Vista it does not blink as much, so it had to be a software issue. I turned a few things off, with help from Vistax64.com's Performance page.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2009 20:00

Amazingly, the regedit CdRom Auto run fixed the fraking blinking light on my XPS 630 I bought in December 2008 with XP preinstalled. I guess this is a 'some but not all' fix.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2009 09:00

To Makengee

The auto run is due to power dvd that you have to diable it in msconfig do not play with the reg thats not the problem for the auto run. When you call dell they want to edit the reg and thats wrong and shuld not be done makes more problems on your comuter. i have a xps 630i and I went throgh all that and i found out thats what it is and there is a real simple fix.

8 Posts

February 7th, 2009 17:00

@NjFlash76

I do not have Power DVD installed.

What 'real simple fix' are you referring?

2 Posts

February 9th, 2009 14:00

I was not talking about the led lights blinking mine do that as well its due to the cd roms I know that. And id rather deal with it rather then disable the autorun

power dvd come with dell computers and you have to disable it in msconfig for the auto run to work on your computer.

8 Posts

February 9th, 2009 20:00

@NjFlash76

Very well. I still think it's odd that a switched off registry setting for CDROM auto run would stop the HDD LED blinking.:emotion-43:

Power DVD was not installed on my new XPS630 running XP.

10 Posts

November 4th, 2009 07:00

I am having the same issues as reported above with my new 630i that dell just sent me as a system replacement for my xps 420 that they could no longer get parts for they claimed. Since receiving the replacement which I was told was a 'brand new built pc' they have had to replace the tuner card two times.. (because the first they sent was for a small form factor case), and we just placed an order for a third because the second one that would actually fit in my case is defective. They have also replaced the media card reader and cable, and the 'new' system didn't come with any cables/installation discs or anything else that a 'new' pc should/would have come with..

I see that there has been no posting from Chris or Dell about a fix yet for the hdd blinking issues and the last post here in this forum was Feb 7th 2009.

Chris what is the current status of a fix for the issues?

Thanks!

8 Posts

November 4th, 2009 19:00

* Click Start- Run
* Type regedit
* Click OK
* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom
* Double click on AutoRun
* Change the value from 1 to 0
* Click OK
* Click File- Exit
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

This seems to work and stop the light from blinking for a lot of XPS machines. Your mileage may vary, but this is worth the time and effort to try.

No Events found!