zzzviper
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

What is the problem with the sound card.. my system will have the Sound Blaster X-fi Xreme gamer card... heard something about the X-Fi Screemer..??

Does the flashing red light acually mean the HDD is working hard...?? WOuld that make the HDD wear out faster ??

KryttosArcadia
3 Argentum

its a flashy white light.  just below the power button, and it really only does that when autorun is turned on, when its off it only flashes during harddrive usage
Yesdave
2 Bronze

I just recieved my 630 machine, and I have the same flashing issue. Just a constant white blinking. This is out of the box - I haven't installed anything yet. I tried turning off the Autorun, and that seemed to calm it down, but I didn't leave it that way. There must be a better fix.
Message Edited by Yesdave on 06-28-2008 12:47 PM
JRosenfeld
5 Iridium

@Yesdave wrote:
I just recieved my 630 machine, and I have the same flashing issue. Just a constant white blinking. This is out of the box - I haven't installed anything yet. I tried turning off the Autorun, and that seemed to calm it down, but I didn't leave it that way. There must be a better fix.
Message Edited by Yesdave on 06-28-2008 12:47 PM

My understanding is that they are working on it. No ETA yet, though.

Precision Tower 5810, Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3700 MHz
RAM:16 GB PC6400 DDR4 SDRAM 1066MHz
HDD: 2x ATA  ST500DM002-1BD14 500GB SATA non RAID
DVD:HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GTA0N SCSI and PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES SCSI
Video: nVIDIA Quadro K4200 PCIe 4GB
Audio: Recon3D PCIe, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 speakers
Monitor: Dell E2011H

7.1 pro sp1 64 bit

zzzviper
2 Bronze

My system is due on the 2/7/08 (thats 2nd of July for our American friends)... Will post the results of any dramas that I have with my system.... hope all is well !!! Smiley Tongue
gdonner
3 Argentum

@KryttosArcadia wrote:
its a flashy white light.  just below the power button, and it really only does that when autorun is turned on, when its off it only flashes during harddrive usage

I wish I could say the same--switching off autorun for all my devices didn't have any effect on it.

--

Greg

KryttosArcadia
3 Argentum

i mean it still "heartbeats" so to say. but my old homebuilt did that too. i just learned to ignore it.
gdonner
3 Argentum

Granted, I've only been using Vista for a month or so, but this issue has been identified as a hardware problem (a resistor in the wrong location on the front control panel board) by Dell Engineering...and requiring a hardware fix (though they're apparently still trying to come up with a software solution).
Message Edited by gdonner on 06-29-2008 11:21 AM

--

Greg

zzzviper
2 Bronze

Hello to all,

I recieved my system today (specs should be shown). I switched it on and after about 10 minutes.. I think it was setting my Mcfees the death blue screen came up and said it was shutting down the computer before any damage was done !!! After rebooting it seems to be good and stable (touch wood)

Anyway the fan starts up fairly loud and then after ashort time it drops down in speed... you really cannot even hear it at all...so there is no problem there....

The HDD light.... well the white light LED for the HDD flashs about every 2 seconds sometimes it flashs once and then after 2 secs it flashs again..... sometimes it does a quick 2 flash and then waits for 2 secs and then flash again.... no big deal really.... seeing the system is under my desk I dont really see it anyway. I have not changed any settings or changed colours etc... this is straight out of the box. All I hope it that the blue screen does not come back again.

Should I do anything else.... update drivers ??? There is a few drivers there under my service tag but I am the kinda guy that if its not broken why change it ....

Thanks

Dave

Rquired
3 Argentum

I´ve noticed two things:

My HDD light mostly blinks in two patterns:

-one time/second.

-Two quick blinks each second.

And while in the BIOS, Dell diagnosis etc the HDD light is mostly off but lits when accesing the HDD, as it should be. But the problem starts when starting Windows, in my case Vista.

Marcus