Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2013 01:00

XPS 630 Lost Sound

XPS 630, Windows XP up to date, integrated sound has worked for years through two small powered Altec speakers..  Usually, sound down most of the time so don't know when it quit providing sound, or what I was doing at the time.  Device Manager shows (4)NVIDIA High Definition Audio, Realtek High Definition Audio and Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device as all working correctly, however in an attempt to fix, down loaded from Dell the slightly newer version of the Realtek that I had never bothered with before.  Still no sound.  In Control Panel under Sounds and Audio Services, Volume Tab shows "No Audio Device", Audio and Voice Tabs show default as "Modem #0 Playback" (the only option).  Ran the Dell diagnostic located though the F12 option on boot, and the speakers were loud and clear.  The BIOS does show the integrated sound is enabled.  Also, the Speaker symbol (volume control) is not in the lower right corner icons. 

Any suggestions as to what might be do-able to fix this problem short of reinstalling Windows?  Or is there a sound card that would work with this computer that would possibly regain the sound sfter disabling the integrated sound in the BIOS??

39 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 12:00

I chose to have the reformatting and re-installation done by a local computer repair shop which has been done and was successful.  However, my Dell USB keyboard  has buttons above the F1-12 keys to push for connecting to the internet,  e-mail etc  While the internet button defaulted to my installed Firefox, the e-mail defaulted to Outlook rather than Thunderbird which I prefer to use.  I can't seem to find how this can be reset.  Any suggestions?????

39 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 19:00

I have also found my keyboard answer which is in Control Panel, Internet Options where you can reset the e-mail default program.

1.5K Posts

April 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi boomerk,

It seems that the system hardware is working properly as the drivers are showing in Device manager. You may uninstall the audio drivers from ‘Control Panel’> ’Add or Remove Programs’ and reinstall the latest audio drivers from the link below:

http://dell.to/YN5OgX

You may reinstall the audio drivers from the driver’s disk as well.

If the above steps don’t work, you may perform system restore. Please refer to the link below:

http://bit.ly/rHCLt

*Note: System Restore does not affect personal files, such as email messages, documents, or photos. You can only restore files that you have deleted if you have made backups of those files.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

39 Posts

April 11th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, the latest Realtek driver did not solve the problem.  As for System Restore, I had tried this previously and it would not restore to any previous date.  I have had this happen before which seems to indicate that those files were somehow corrupted so I had to turn System Restore both OFF and then ON to make it reset. (but that doesn't help any with the current problem)  Any other thoughts and/or will a sound card improve anything.

1.5K Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi boomerk,

It seems that there is some issue with the operating system. You may try restoring the system back to factory settings.

*Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

You may back up the data before performing the restore. Please follow the link below:

http://dell.to/10ookdZ

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

April 22nd, 2013 19:00

No Events found!