Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 17th, 2008 12:00

XPS 700 Processor Upgrade

Hello all, I've been trying to find out what processors are compatible with my XPS 700 with mixed results.  I bought the unit used and previous owner never did the free upgrade to the 720 motherboard so I know quad cores are out :emotion-6:   What I'm trying to figure out is if the E8400 Wolfsdale will work in my system, I believe it should since it's LGA 775 but I've heard from a few people that the original XPS 700 motherboard may not be able to handle the new 45nm process chips.  Is anyone running this chip on an XPS 700 without the motherboard upgrade or does anyone know for sure if this chip is compatible?  If not what am I restricted to for choices?

Thanks in advance for the help :emotion-1:

14.4K Posts

February 10th, 2010 15:00

Only the extreme versions of the processors (QXxxxx) will have an open multiplier in the bios. You cannot overclock the Q6700 because it is not an extreme edition. This is the way the bios is programed and has been from the start. It is a shame that no overclocking options were allowed in the line but My feeling all along was Dell rushed these out hoping to capture the enthusiasts market with out doing their homework. Gee who would have thought a cutting edge rig would have no open bios to allow the enthusiasts to overclock.

22 Posts

February 10th, 2010 16:00

Thankx for your promot reply, I believe you helped me earlier too with the processor upgrade and the graphic card as well, I wanted to mention one thing I was having problems with the GTX 280 it would turn off by itself, well the problem was only the six to eight pin converter it had a broken wire. BFG replaced for free and it works like a charm no problem at all. I am now running windows 7 64-bit ultimate, Q6700 4GB RAM and GTX 280. I am thinking to upgrade my RAM to 8.0GB what would be the best RAM for my computer in your opinion with which I can get the best speed. I still have the original XPS 700 Mother Board. Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your help in previous questions. 

2 Posts

February 11th, 2010 04:00

Ditto on the extremes. I've found I dont need to overclock and had more issues anyways. Just wanted to share I upgraded my 7950 GX2 to a 9800GTX...WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! Even though the card is 512MB versus the old 1GB, the GPU and everything else is much more modern. I run COD MW2 with all settings maxed out (was unable to do so with the 7950GX2) with vertical sync and I maintain a steady 60fps and its absolutely breathtaking. So for about 400$ in upgrades (cpu and graphics card on original FOXCONN LS-36 mobo), my machine runs with the best again. Now I just have to get some raptor hard drives at some point!

1 Message

February 17th, 2010 21:00

hey i bought a used dell xps 700 2.4 core duo 250gb hd with the nvidia geforce 7900 gtx 2gb ram 750w psu (out of warranty) with a dead motherboard for $100 and was looking for a replacement and gave up after 2 days lol. i did some googling and found out about the free xps 700 to 720 so i went to ask dell online chat/tech support how much it was and they said it would be a lil over $400 and not in stock but if i got extended warranty for $223 w/tax it would be covered to upgrade my dead mobo to xps 720 (apparently it's only in stock if you have warranty) with parts/labor included so i did that today and they ordered one for me through a local dealer actually so i should get it tomorrow. long story short i will have an xps 720 for only $323 and i can upgrade it to quad core cpu for an addition $200 range, but not through dell... unless they want to give me one hell of a deal :)

sorry it's late and my writing skills are horrid right now, just wanted to share that bit of info so i created this account to help you out :o chao

22 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 13:00

Hi I am thinking to buy a XPS 730x or 730,  but before I buy that I have few questions:

1. Is the 730 and 730x both ATX Design?

2. Will I be able to upgrade the Motherboard (Intel Based) to any brand I like, Power Supply of my choice?

Thankx 

5 Posts

February 24th, 2010 07:00

I have placed a Q6700 quad in my 700, works great. I have 8gb of ram, an a gxt285 2gb of ram. Computer works great in win 7 32bit which I could get sound to work in win 7 64bit so I can use all of my ram.

Thanks for the reply!  Looking at the specs of the Q6700 quad.  Does that mean I limited to 65 nm technology and a FSB of 1066 MHz?  Also, would I get much of a performance increase vs. what I currently have?  I would hate to spend the money for very little performance increase.  Sorry if these questions are stupid, but I find all the specs related to processors very confusing.

Hi All,

My apologies, but I've been reading through this thread and I think I'm getting myself more and more confused.  I have a XPS 700 and I want to upgrade the CPU.  I'm trying to find the best CPU I can just drop in.  The system has been and is still working great, so I can't justify building / buying another system.  I was looking at buying a Core 2 Quad Q9400, but from what I'm reading I don't think that will work.  The PC is used mostly for gaming.  I mostly play CODMW2 but have been playing the beta for Bad Company 2.  Based on this experience I think it's time for an upgraded CPU. (if possible)  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Below are some current specs of my PC.

Current Specs

Intel Pentium D 930 (Presler) 3 GHz

Socket 775 LGA

Motherboard - Dell model #0YF432, Chipset - nForce4 SLI Intel Edition, Southbridge - nForce 590 SLI

Bios version 1.4.1

4 gig DDR2

Video - (2) Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512 MB

14.4K Posts

February 24th, 2010 08:00

Yes you are only limited to the 65 nm chips and most  of the chips that will work are out of production. So about your only bet will be finding one on ebay. Ypu are pretty much limited to a qx6850 as the highest processor that would work and could possibly be found however these are still on the pricey side. I would go with the suggestion of a Q6700 if you can find one.

February 24th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the quick response and answers / suggestions.  Would it be worth the price to upgrade, or should I just wait until my lack of performance justifies a new PC?

22 Posts

March 12th, 2010 06:00

hi,

I just bought an Intel QX6850 for my Dell XPS 700 with the original motherboard can someone please help me wit this my computer won't turn on when I install the QX6850 CPU. But when I take it out and Install my old Q6700 it works fine. Please I need help ASAP. As much as I know the original XPS 700 motherboard is the Nvida 590-SLI. And thats what I see when I run CPUZ. I went to nvidia website to see if the QX6850 is supported by Nvidia nForce 590-SLI and it does, so what can be the issue I bought a used CPU. I need a quick answer please. 

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2010 13:00

Your chip must have G0 stepping or it will not work. Just because you have a 590 chipset doesn't mean things will work. Dell severly limited the chipset for those boards as well as the 720.

Stick with with the Q6700

22 Posts

March 12th, 2010 14:00

Thankyou for the reply. I called dell and the higest processor that I can go with the XPS 700 is the QX6800, they are selling that for 1550.95$ and it can be ordered only via phone not on the website. I am just going to stick with the Q6700, and build a complete system with an i7 by years end. 

22 Posts

March 12th, 2010 17:00

Dave I went back and checked something. You mentioned that my chipset must have G0 stepping. Okay now here is my question are there two typrs of Q6700 in the market I went to Intel website check this link:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACQ

I am currently running a Q6700 and on the intel website it states that Q6700 is G0 so if I am runnung this processor then why cant I run the QX6850. But I would li,ke to show you a screen shot of CPUZ of my computer which is confusing me is my processor Stepping "G0 "or "B", because if you see the red circle area in Stepping it states "B" and in revision it states G0 I am confused.....

Thanks.

1 Attachment

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2010 17:00

I its not the chipset its the processor that needs the G0. lesser processors under neath the Qx6850 do not have this requirement.

The other issue is the FSB which for a QX6850 is 1333 which the 700 does not support.

No Events found!