BlueDagger
2 Bronze

XPS 710 Memory Slots Error

So I've had my XPS for just a little over a year and so far I'm a little ticked. About 5 months ago one of the ram chips went bad taking down my system till a tech came out to replace it, but now it's even worse. My 1 year warranty went out 2 months ago and now both of my top slots for RAM have gone bad. If any chip is placed in the top pairing of RAM ports I get the beep tone of doom and the PC won't boot. I've tested with different RAM and now I'm stuck with 2GB when I have 4 1GB sticks that I typically have installed.

Without paying out the *** for a new motherboard any advise on getting this issue resolved?

If it doesn't get resolved Dell just lost a few customers for life because at 1 yr 2 months a vital motherboard failer is just unacceptable 😕

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MoneyGuyBK
2 Iron

Re: XPS 710 Memory Slots Error

BlueDagger; welcome to DCF

It sounds like an issue with the slots which will mean you should change the MoBo

However.... if it's past the warranty, you cannot hold Dell responsible.

1) You should have bought the extended warranty at time of original order

2) You might have added the warranty at 5 months when you had to do a repair

3) You could have added the warranty still before the expiration date 2 months ago

If your car's engine breaks down after the warranty is over, do you think the manufacturer will warranty it?

Will you threaten to not buy a car from them again if they don't?

Peace

0 Kudos
Davet50
2 Iron

BlueDagger

Are you running the latest bios? 

What is the voltage requirements of the ram? 

What happens if you place two sticks into the upper pair by themselves..

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
BlueDagger
2 Bronze

MoneyGuy: Yes, it is the manufacturer's fault for creating a piece of crud in that case. If other "cars" are lasting 3-4 years and yours lasts barely over 1, then yes it is poor manufacturing.

Dave:

1) Not sure which version is the latest bios, if it has changed in the last year for an XPS710 then no.

2) It is PC2 6400 1.8v RAM

3) When I took out the two bottom chips and swapped them both up top I still got the beep-o-doom.

0 Kudos
Davet50
2 Iron

The latest bios is 1.4.1

the ram voltage is ok.

It is looking more and more like a motherboard issue.

Check in the bios to make sure you have EPP/SLI option under memroy to off. 

You could try a CMOS reset. If you choose this option make sure you go through the bios and note all your settings. This is especially important if you are using a Raid configuration, as the reset will revert all your bios setting to the default values.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
BlueDagger
2 Bronze

Running 1.4.1

EPP/SLI is off
Reset was a no go

Paying is looking inevitable will the $49 extension of the "Limited Warranty" cover a MoBO replacement?

0 Kudos
Davet50
2 Iron

That would depend on how the limted warranty is worded. If you can pull it off it will definatly be worth it as a new board is between 200-300 dollars.

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
BlueDagger
2 Bronze

Any clue where to find that information or know of anyone that could answer witha definate yes/no? I'd hate to ruin some Dell tech help's day by tearing him a new one when he tries to charge me after the $49 extended warranty.
0 Kudos
Davet50
2 Iron

Is this what your are refering too

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&category_id=112&~ck=anav

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
BlueDagger
2 Bronze

Not sure the $49 there states 3rd/4th year support. When I go to Warranties and Services it shows:

Description Provider Start Date End Date Days Left

Next Business Day Support BSC 8/11/2007 8/10/2008 0

XPS Technical Support DELL 8/11/2007 8/10/2008 0

In the purchase options I see a whole lotta supidly expensive warranty plans then this one hidden amungst them:

Limited Warranty Reinstatement

Select options below

None  
Recertification [add $49]
0 Kudos