Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2008 12:00

XPS 710 Vista Ultimate 64-bit Sound Crackling and Distortion

I am trying to put Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition on my XPS 710 system  which I've bought through University & Microsoft - the system originally came shipped with Windows Media centre 2005 as vista even in 32-bit edition was not available at the time.

Prior to installing I used the vista upgrade advisor and the Dell Readiness advisor which both came back advising that apart from graphics, Raid and sound drivers requiring updating the system was capable of running Vista Ultimate 64-bit

The install ran pretty smoothly, however I'm having a lot of problems with sound crackling and distorting following the upgrade even after installing the Dell 64-bit drivers from the support site.

I've been looking into this for a little while and have found that both the sound card and graphics card both share the same IRQ (0x00000010) under device manager, resources and after chatting with Microsoft Vista technical support believe I need to check the APCI settings which should be in the BIOS however under bios version 1.4.1 there is nothing there.

I've tried downloading the latest drivers direct from Creative and Nvidia but it results in the same problems - on a couple of time the problem is fixed but after a couple of hours the same distortion reoccurs.

The spec is:

Dell XPS 710

Q6700 2.66Ghz

6GB RAM

300GB RAID (Stripe)

Creative SB X-FI Music

Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb

A couple of support calls to Dell Technical support didn't bring back any help whatsoever other than one of the technicians claiming that the drivers from the Dell support site are only compatible with Dell OEM Vista 64-bit disks which weren't available when I purchased my system - and seems very odd to me.

This is my first post so if I've forgotten anything or anyone needs additional details just get in touch but any advice or help would be appreciated

Thanks

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2008 15:00

Well don't feel alone as this is not an isolated issue. there are perhaps a dozen or so threads buried here as well as some on the Creative site.

Basicly there are only a few options. If you have the latest drivers for both the video and sound card there is not much more on that front.

You can try moving the sound card into a different slot that might change the irq. There are no ACHI bios setting and never has been

You can switch to a different  brand sound card. There are many reports of this as the best solve.

You can also try switching to the onboard sound and this is the second most best solution.as it is the cheapest.

I myselft have never had this issue and other report the same while there are countless others who do and have opted for one of the two above changes.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2008 08:00

Thanks for reply and the suggestions - I had hoped that by waiting for a couple of years I'd have missed these kind of problems.

I've also read that people installing vista with more than 4GB ram installed have problems and wonder if you've come across that - mine originally came with 2GB (2x1GB)

Dell's support website does have another driver for the X-Fi Gamer card which in the release notes mentions issues surrounding systems running over 4-gb RAM and just wondered if you had heard anything along those lines.

I checked out Creative's website and noticed a recently released BETA driver for the sound card but this also didnt resolve the problem.

I'll try as you suggest to swap around the sound card to see if windows allocates a different IRQ value

At the moment it's not really usable with the sound being so bad so may have to admit defeat and go back to good old faithful XP Media Centre 2005

Thanks

14.4K Posts

December 6th, 2008 13:00

like I mentioned I have 4 gigs and a Dell Creative X-FI Xtreme Music and have not experienced this course you are on a differnt motherboard so that may also play a role.

I would try the onboard possible as a last resort before switching back to XP. Vista to me is so far superiour.

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 15:00

Yes the 710 uses the 590 chipset and the 720 uses the 680 chipset. There is nothing wrong with the 710 mb. It was just that when the 700 came out Dell did not really state the whole truth with their 590 chipset. so as a resolve they offered the upgrade to those who wanted it.

And to add more to the sound issues also affecte the 420,700,630 too.

5 Posts

December 9th, 2008 15:00

Just to update - I've enable the onboard sound and now I'm getting crystal clear sound!!!

I also got a call from a Dell XPS technician who was actually pretty helpful and told me that as you said in your original reply this is a common problem and has most recently affected the XPS 730 which they have released a BIOS update that has apparantly resolved the problem

Apparantly they've past this case off to Dell R&D who may look at releasing a BIOS patch for the 710 that may perminently fix the error

You mention that your XPS has a different motherboard to mine, are you aware of any issue's with the 710 board as I've read a lot of posts about motherboard replacement program and if there was an issue this could be another area dell support could look at resolving the problem.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 29th, 2009 06:00

i've just upgraded my system to 4gb. looking around on the internet it seems there is a issue with the x-fi sound card and vista 64-bit with 4gb or more ram. any one have more news on dell releasing an update for the 710?

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 00:00

Good News. After much searching I have found a driver that works with my XPS 710 and X-Fi sound card.

http://www.youp-pax.org/viewthread.php?tid=636&extra=page%3D1

I uninstalled the card from device manager and also cleared the drivers useing drive sweeper. then installed this driver. everything works i have sound again. Now if I can just get sound also working in Windows 7, everything will be fine.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2009 17:00

That's great news you've got it working running onboard sound has so far done me OK although it's annoying I've paid for a card I can't use right now, is this a genuine Creative driver or third party, I think I've got the music edition sound card on my XPS 710

Dell's support on this issue has been truly rubbish especially given the cost of these systems - since I raised the initial call and got fobbed off with a claim they've passed this to development to look at a BIOS update I've heard nothing, most of the drivers for the XPS 710 haven't been updated since 2007 on their website

As for their so called XPS Premium Support - I've not seen anything over and above what a standard warranty covers - their claim it covers you for software and games is according to the last Dell support guy I spoke to is what's originally shipped with the machine

If they think that people who bought these machines even before Dell made vista available weren't going to upgrade is just crazy and I would have hoped that the support would have been alot better than I've seen. So much so I for one may reconsider buying Dell again or at least their premium range and simply replace a little more often!!

BuggsUK - have you managed to get Windows 7 running on your XPS 710, given the level of problems with Dell and third party software compatability with apps running on Vista 64 bit I didn't think it would work. Would be interested to know how you get on with this

14.4K Posts

February 7th, 2009 18:00

Buggs

Try this driver for your sound. Worked for me gave back full 5.1 surround in win 7

No Events found!