Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 1st, 2008 21:00

XPS 710 just upgraded to 8GB PC2-6400 CL4 memory

I just got my new ram today. They are A-DATA Extreme Edition Vitesta DDR2 800+ Series PC2-6400 CL4. I got 2 sets of 4GB for a total of 8GB. They have Cas Latency Timings of 4-4-4-12 with 2.0volts with EEP enabled. Vista 32 can see all 8GB but the system only uses 3.5GB. You can find these on newegg search for "A-DATA Vitesta 4GB". They are going for $69.99 a set. They work for my XPS 710. Plus the red heatspreaders go great with my red motherboard.

52 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 23:00

On both of my X-Fi cards OEM and retail I get really bad shuttering with more then 2GB of ram on 64Bit Vista. I have tried both 2.15.0006 and 2.18.0004 drives. Should I install them together or something? I think the driver is unsigned. I played with 64bit last night but when I did a reboot the shuttering came back. Its like the driver breaks on reboot or if any setting is changed. Its not the cards, it has to be the driver. That's the only thing holding me back from 64bit goodness.

14.4K Posts

This driver says it supports 64 bit

Is this a Dell card or Retail?

52 Posts

I do see a performance increase when it comes to games, photo and video rendering. Everyday stuff like checking email and web surfing not so much. Remember any extra ram that is not used by the system will be used for video memory. Once Creative comes out with a working signed driver for 64bit I'm going to switch. Going from 4GB to 8GB is easy and it works. This memory is great.

Also phoronix.com review of  A-DATA Vitesta DDR2-800 Extreme stated that they can be over clocked to 1066MHz with 5-5-5-16 timings and are stable at that speed. They are a good buy.

513 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 00:00

@ham77 wrote:

Remember any extra ram that is not used by the system will be used for video memory.

Unfortunately this is not true. 

A 32-bit OS (and a 32-bit CPU) can only recognize a memory address that's 32 bits long.  2^32 = 4.2 billion.  Thus, a 32-bit OS can only refer to 4.2 billion memory addresses, that is 4GB.

In a 32-bit OS with 4GB of RAM the last memory addresses are unusable as system RAM as these addresses in the memory address space are allocated to address hardware components.

The amount of memory lost depends on the amount of memory in the installed hardware devices.  Generally the video card has the most. 

Thus, if your card has .5GB of memory on board, the OS reserves the last .5GB addresses for the video card memory and .5GB of RAM can no longer be accessed as system memory.

Ironically, the program gets worse as the video card in the system gets more powerful.  It is has 1GB of memory on board, the system loses access to 1GB of system RAM.

A 64-bit OS has 2^64 memory addresses or roughly 17.2 billion gigabytes.  This should handle any of our current memory needs.  :)

513 Posts

I just installed Vista 64 on my 730.  The Dell supplied Creative card is happy with the driver that the operating system found upon finding the hardware. 

USB audio CODEC, S/PDIF, ASIO, WASAPI . . . all up to 24/96 resolution and working well on all my audio applications, including audio mastering software.

A 64-bit OS is wonderful.  I highly recommend it.

14.4K Posts

Some more good INFO

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 01:00

I think the 730 has a different motherboard then the 710. The issue for me has to do with the motherboard + the memory and the driver. Using different cards didn't fix it. What if its using all four ram slots? Now that I have 8GB I could take 2 sticks out and see how it runs with two 2GB sticks.

513 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 02:00

The 710 does have a different MoBo than the 730, but this is not a MoBo limitation.  It's an issue of math (only so many unique addresses in 32-bits).

Using different video cards will only influence how much memory is available for the system v. how much memory is on the card itself.  A card with very little memory on-board will free up memory addresses for system memory.

The same amount of memory will be seen by the system whether you have 4GB or 8GB installed. This is because it cannot see more than 4GB no matter what.

Two modules may make because it easier for the system to see and use the 4GB however.  Thus, it is possible that it may actually run a little bit better with only two DIMMs installed than four.

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 03:00

OK, I was not talking about video cards. I was talking about sound cards. I just want my sound card to work in 64bit like it does for 32bit. Maybe with two sticks of ram the driver for my sound card will work.

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 07:00

Just tried X-Fi series Beta Driver 2.18.0006 on 64bit Vista. Still doesn't work...

14.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 11:00

If you haven't tried it already try changing the slot the sound card is in. and check your IROs for sharing.

Listened to your video this sounds like you have advance sound settings. What are your setting in the audio console?

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 12:00

I tried changing the slot the sound card was in, and did everything and anything I could with the settings. One minute it would work then it wouldn't.

"check your IROs for sharing" I have no idea what that means.

I am going to try this new pax driver I found. I hope it works. If not I'll go back to the the regular driver and let you know what the settings are in the audio console.

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 12:00

That pax driver didn't help.

513 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 13:00

Have you tried uninstalling the card using Device Manager and then restarting the machine so that it can find the card once again?

This can help resolve the kind of conflicts that Dave is referencing.

52 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 18:00

I am taking a break from 64bit for the weekend. I will try that. I have never been able to keep the driver stable with more then 2GB of ram in 64bit. I do think now it is just a driver issue.
No Events found!