Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2008 16:00

XPS 710 solid amber light

Finally I got a Dell Tech to come to my home and try to figure out the problem with my computer.  Currently he and I are boggled of the situation.  He switched out the mother board, power supply, some other chip attached to the case of my computer, and the CPU chip and still my computer is giving off a solid amber light on the power button.

When the computer comes on we hear no beeps, and all the fans are running.  He is gonna get another mother board because he thinks Dell might have sent him a bad mother board but, would like to get your guys input and see if I can further trouble shoot this problem while we wait.  Before the dell tech left my place he told me if worse comes to worse he might have to replace the entire computer.  Has anyone ever encounter a problem like this and if so how did you fix it?  =(

August 19th, 2008 20:00

>>He switched out the mother board, power supply, some other chip attached to the case of my computer, and the CPU chip <<

Lol.. that means he already changed all parts that could be broken, hasn't he? Not sure what you mean by another chip attached to the computer case; maybe you mean the front IO.

Anyway, what you're describing (solid amber) with fans running is down to either a broken motherboard(likely) OR a bad CPU/processor (unlikely).

In 99% of cases, the motherboard is broken. In your case, it's probable the tech brought another bad mobo with him. I once had the same problem, 2nd mobo I got was also broken. CPUs normally never break unless you did really bad things with them (like running with a broken CPU heatsink.. but the Dell tech probably checked if your CPU fan was working, right?)

Unfortunately broken mobos occur a lot with the 700-720's so you're not alone.

Mark

No Events found!